Longtime lead gen / affiliate marketer in ATX checking in!

Degree
What's up guys?

I'm a long time poster on WF and BHW as well as a long time lurker on BUSO. I figure it's finally time to build out my account here so I can start posting reviews of all the stuff I buy from the marketplace!

I've been dabbling in affiliate marketing / e-commerce since my high school days (over 15 years ago). I've been doing this full-time my whole life. (God bless the internet for never forcing me into a 9-5 job!) As for my skills, I'd say I'm OK at SEO and getting free traffic, but not much else. Thank god for outsourcing!

I lived in NYC for the past 10 years but finally settled down here in Austin, TX with the wife and kids to escape the NYC income taxes (If any BUSO members are in Austin, send me a PM!)

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Glad to have you posting. Are you working on your own sites or are you running an agency or what?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Sweet, do you prefer having tons of sites over maybe one or two?

I find myself spread too thin with too many. My most at any one time was 30. I'm currently down to 2. Even with outsourcing everything, I still feel like dumping all of your resources into one main winner is better, as long as you've validated it as a big winner.

Do you find that a handful earn most of your revenue, versus an even spread?

Degree
My top one earns 70% of my revenue. Site #2 earns me about 20%. Site #3 earns about 5%. The rest don't earn much, comparatively. The top 3 sites I spend an equal amount of time on. The rest I work on a few times a month, sparingly. I'm nowhere near your 30 site number, however. I'm at 10~.

I do wish I could cut down to just one or two, but I'm really risk averse. I don't like putting my eggs all in one basket. ATM, I'm desperately trying to bring site 2 and 3 up to my top site's level.

RomesFall

so po qwo ro
BuSo Pro
Degree
I still feel like dumping all of your resources into one main winner is better, as long as you've validated it as a big winner.
This is something I've learned as someone who is running a bunch of sites.

I think every project has its own unique challenges, but there are a common few hurdles that any site needs to overcome. Especially with Search Traffic.

If a site makes it, I'll move it along... Not all sites will get treated equally as it's just impossible. If Google shows some love, they'll get some social media marketing (besides just the automated side of it). Etc.

I do wish I could cut down to just one or two, but I'm really risk averse. I don't like putting my eggs all in one basket. ATM, I'm desperately trying to bring site 2 and 3 up to my top site's level.
I think this all depends on your business model.

Within affiliate for example;
If you want to flip sites you need inventory, if you simply want to be an authority site builder you need to go all in on 1 or 2 sites. The biggest risk out there is not diversifying your traffic generation for those in the latter case.

For those of us with more sites it's very much a case of being smart as fuck financially as well. If you lose the top earner and it's not been moved into other traffic generation methods, the income that supports your other sites and you is done.

That's how dudes go bankrupt when they're making "good money" but live "the life".

I think being risk-averse is a good thing. It just all depends on what risks you're mitigating and if you're even aware of them all which too many folks aren't because we all get wrapped up in the multi vs few sites debate.

Just depends on your goals.