Longtime builder moving out of the game...

Degree
Hi all,

Longtime site builder here. I started off building websites for clients - self taught. I made my first successful affiliate site around 2009. I downloaded the clickbank feed, used it to write semi auto reviews. Worked amazingly and for around 4 years that, combined with blog network spamming, made for a very successful number of sites.

Once all the Google changes hit though - penguin, panda and the like - that sort of site never really did so well again. I went back to doing primarily client work and nowadays my focus is on running more of a general marketing agency.

However, I still have a ton of sites hanging around, a couple of ebooks, scripts, scrapers, hosting accounts etc

I'd like to connect with people on here and get some advice on how to wind down the empire :-)

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Welcome aboard. The client hustle, as much as I dislike doing it, is well worth the money because you see a direct return on your efforts and time, where as SEO is a complete gamble on ROI. I'd definitely keep doing that.

You're looking to get out of the game altogether? In that case, I'd take a look at all of my assets and see what they're worth based on earnings and/or potential earnings and start shopping them around. If your e-books are any good, someone in the niche might purchase the right to sell them or use them as list magnets. The scripts and scrapers are going to be more niche-oriented I bet and harder to offload. Hosting accounts you can just cancel and domains can expire.

But yeah, so much has changed since 2009. Google has evolved tremendously. All of the old methods either flat out don't work or only work for a very short period of time. If you want to keep a foot in this world, I'd suggest starting a "real site" in the sense that it's branded and exists to serve the users. Design it well, make a great user experience, make it fast, optimize every post, build some safe links here and there but mainly do legitimate marketing and let the links roll in.

The best time to start a site like this would have been years, but that doesn't mean you can't buy an established site and give it a face lift and keep it going. The future of SEO is will have very few of the old tricks associated with it. The industry is being forced to mature as Google gets their algorithm together more and more.

The method of affiliate flogs and all that can still work if you can fund the PPC campaigns. People are still cleaning up with diet offers and all of that, but a lot of that is becoming about connections, passing FTC regulations, and funding campaigns and baby sitting them all day, and pivoting every time a copy cat steals your lander and campaigns.

Anyways, there's still money in these hills, definitely with client projects, and still with your own projects. The game has just changed so much.

Another idea for sites you have around, if they're powerful to any degree (they're definitely aged) is to add a /guest-post/ page so you can be found in the SERPs and sell "guest posts" for as long as it lasts. That could be easy and honest money, since everyone knows whats up with paid links these days on sites with those searchable foot prints.

Degree
Hi Ryuzaki,

Thanks for the long and considered response!

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I'd like to just get out of the game. The clickbank sites are, somewhat amazingly, still ticking along but the headspace they take up I don't think is worth it. I'll take your advice, compile a list of them and what they're earning and see if anyone is interested in taking them over.

Interesting your thoughts on the "real site". I did, somewhat accidentally, pursue that option. A couple of years ago I setup a site and got a VA involved in creating weekly content. Other projects took over (as mentioned) but I left that one running with the VA and she's been creating steady content now for it for ages - along with YouTube videos. Not a single attempt made at getting a backlink! It's been very interesting to see the Google love for it grow gradually - very gradually!

Not sure I would have the patience to use that technique normally!

I actually have listed that one on Flippa but as I haven't really made much of an attempt to monetise it, I doubt I'll make back what I spent on content with the VA. I do like the idea of the "Guest Posts" page - a nice monetisation technique.

Thanks again - I'll be back to see if anyone wants to buy my sites! :-)

Degree
Hi Ryuzaki,

Thanks for the long and considered response!

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I'd like to just get out of the game. The clickbank sites are, somewhat amazingly, still ticking along but the headspace they take up I don't think is worth it. I'll take your advice, compile a list of them and what they're earning and see if anyone is interested in taking them over.

Interesting your thoughts on the "real site". I did, somewhat accidentally, pursue that option. A couple of years ago I setup a site and got a VA involved in creating weekly content. Other projects took over (as mentioned) but I left that one running with the VA and she's been creating steady content now for it for ages - along with YouTube videos. Not a single attempt made at getting a backlink! It's been very interesting to see the Google love for it grow gradually - very gradually!

Not sure I would have the patience to use that technique normally!

I actually have listed that one on Flippa but as I haven't really made much of an attempt to monetise it, I doubt I'll make back what I spent on content with the VA. I do like the idea of the "Guest Posts" page - a nice monetisation technique.

Thanks again - I'll be back to see if anyone wants to buy my sites! :-)
Hey,

shoot over the details of those sites you'd like to sell (via DM) and I'll take a look. I'm always on the lookout for sites with traffic.