Local Link Building by Industry

stackcash

I Sell Words
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I've been digging around to find good link types and sources for a restaurant client that I have and thought it would be a good opportunity to create a thread on link types/sources for various local industries.

So far, I've been building local business listing citations through DirectoryBug & Know 'Em. I've ran ahref reports on my clients competitors and found they have a lot of editorial links from newspapers for events they've done in the past.

Do you guys have any local link building tips, specifically for restaurants? If not, let's see what kind of links you're building for specific local industries. SHARE WITH THE CLASS DAMMIT!

Not local in particular, but there never seems to be a shortage of expired domains for restaurants that didn't make it.

Great idea guys. Are you just searching expired/drops for the local township/city to find those?

Find as many local sub-reddits for your city or area and start sharing coupons, events, and even create ones to share. Maybe build a blog on the site for these purposes. Hopefully you'd not only raise awareness of the business, but you'd get the Reddit links and social shares as those people start to tell their friends, and ultimately the goal would be that they'd go out and create natural links for you on their blogs/journals/forums.

Great idea guys. Are you just searching expired/drops for the local township/city to find those?

I'm not specifically looking for them. I just come across them all the time when searching for good domains. It's got to the point where I won't take any more former restaurants unless the domain is out of sight good.

I'm just looking for good domains in general when I see them. Not looking locally. I just thought that the restaurant relevancy in general would be helpful. You'll probably have a hard time finding good local ones by township. But if you do instant winah...

Have you already scraped competitors to find submissions you can't find with the usual suspects?

"keyword" + location + "submit website"/add business/directory/etc..."

I'd imagine you've already done a few paid whitespark runs and compiled a deduped list for your service type + surrounding locations as well?

That should be plenty to get you started. I'd also look at video syndication with nap, raw urls, hit all the cuisine/foodie sites too. You can get some good newspaper/local hipster publication comments by recommending a restaurant in the area. (hint hint, editors are much more forgiving on comment content depending on how you spin it. If you're trying to "warn", "alert", or "recommend an alternative" (you see where I'm going with this: XYZ place sucks with hair in my food, but DFG over here is bomb) you can sometimes get away with some posts that usually get shit canned.

ps- I can't post the exact footprints for it here or they'll get destroyed... but if you search for housing communities, sub city community websites, and so on, you'll find some sudo directory type sites that syndicate the housing market for their particular subdivisions, list vetted contractors and tradesman, and local businesses in the area. Usually these have restaurant and catering sections that are rarely used. If you can find some in your city managed on the same platform, it's quick to de-dupe a url list and fire up autofill forms. Should be solid naked urls on cat pages with a nice mixture of full NAP on listing pages.

Last edited:
Have you already scraped competitors to find submissions you can't find with the usual suspects?

"keyword" + location + "submit website"/add business/directory/etc..."

I'd imagine you've already done a few paid whitespark runs and compiled a deduped list for your service type + surrounding locations as well?

That should be plenty to get you started. I'd also look at video syndication with nap, raw urls, hit all the cuisine/foodie sites too. You can get some good newspaper/local hipster publication comments by recommending a restaurant in the area. (hint hint, editors are much more forgiving on comment content depending on how you spin it. If you're trying to "warn", "alert", or "recommend an alternative" (you see where I'm going with this: XYZ place sucks with hair in my food, but DFG over here is bomb) you can sometimes get away with some posts that usually get shit canned.

ps- I can't post the exact footprints for it here or they'll get destroyed... but if you search for housing communities, sub city community websites, and so on, you'll find some sudo directory type sites that syndicate the housing market for their particular subdivisions, list vetted contractors and tradesman, and local businesses in the area. Usually these have restaurant and catering sections that are rarely used. If you can find some in your city managed on the same platform, it's quick to de-dupe a url list and fire up autofill forms. Should be solid naked urls on cat pages with a nice mixture of full NAP on listing pages.

Why do I feel I should save this post in case I ever really get into local?

Yeah, that was awesome. My particular project is extremely low competition, but you just got the wheels turning majorly.

Back