Link velocity and local citations

joshy

BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm going through the DS crash course and after reading through the Off-page SEO thread I'm curious about link velocity and citation building.

I recently used a citation building service and around 75 citations were built over the course of one week.

Is that ok or should citations for a local business be dripped out at a slower pace?

I would say ideally everything should be dripped when it comes to link building. The idea is to make it look as natural as possible so as not to trigger a flag. Have a list of link opportunities and try and get one when you get some spare time, not like all in one go.

If you build 75 citations in one week it doesn't mean that Google found them all in one week. In fact, if you don't actively index your citations then most of them will probably never be found. Is it smart to try and index 75 citations all in one week? Probably not, you're better off drip feeding them and trying to index that amount over a period of a month or more.

Link velocity is a made up concept by spammers. If such a process in the algorithm did exist, do you think it would be based on the date that a link was created (lots of processing power to determine this), or the date that the link was indexed (no extra processing power required).

komet has the right idea that starts to expose how the idea link velocity is already a vague concept.

Another thing to consider: What happens when my post hits #1 on Reddit, is trending all over Twitter and Facebook, and I seeded it to Pinterest and Instagram too? Suddenly my post got 500 links in one day from bloggers and journalists and people sharing it on forums.

Does my post tank due to link velocity? No, it shoots to #1 for all of its terms. Partially because the algorithm decided it was time-sensitive and is fresh and all that. That's what getting a lot of links at once does. It doesn't hurt you, it helps you.

When spammers talk about link velocity they're talking about 1000 links one day, 2000 the next day, 3000 the next day, 4000, and so on. All complete trash links that 90% don't even get indexed. It's a waste of their time and a waste of your time to think about it.

Back