Link building vs content (The on-going battle)

Degree
So now that I've gotten the hang of getting links quite seamlessly with my "link bait" articles (aka statistic posts that attract links naturally once ranked well)... I'm a bit torn.

Reason being is I can get tons of links to a statistic post, and put a few posts to pass the link juice, but im unable to gauge the benefit. Meaning i can't tell if placing my time into less content, and more links is worth it or not. I know it depends on the affiliate pages, and a ton of factors, but wanted to see if we have anyone who primarily builds clusters, and spends most of their time on building the links to the clusters.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

For some context, I run a site, about 10-20k per month in revenue ads and affilaite, posts are 60/40 info/affiliate.

Whats crazy Is i remember posting here a few years ago and asking if "3k/mo was possible" or if it was a pipe dream. So thank you @Ryuzaki, @MrMedia, @CCarter and the others who have helped me here over the years.

My site is like affiliate 90/10 informational. Would you recommend that I push more informational? Niche is extremly competitive and its getting more and more competitive.

I wouldn't treat it like one-or-the-other, not that you are, but it's definitely like a pendulum that swings and ratchets upwards a click on each back and forth swing. It's a balancing act to make sure your pendulum can keep swinging (meaning gaining more traffic).

Since you're partially and even majorly info content with display ads, that can pull double duty. You can produce more content to interlink to your affiliate pages (and bring down the 60/40 ratio even further to 70/30 and so on). Then you can build links to the new info pages, help them rank, push that juice on to the affiliate pages.

I'd say that continuing to grow your content base should always be a priority. This will help you continue to be exposed for more and more keywords, build more topical authority, etc.

I like to have some kind of baseline, bottom line expense for both so they're both getting the attention they need regardless. Links can age and mature just like content, so having both churning is beneficial in my eyes.

Quality, organically-earned links can be a pain in the ass to get. Adding quality links is always worth it. Milk your method of getting them until it runs dry.

But like, with your level of revenue, there's no reason you can't do both the linkbait posts and adding new content.

The way i think about a website is like a vehicle (which it is financially). Your on page optimization is the steering wheel, acquiring quality links (authority) is the gas pedal, and quality rolling supporting content on your blog to your silos and money pages (building authority internally over time) is how you put the bitch in 4 wheel drive. Top that off with good social campaigns/signals going = success

2 cents.

Back