Let's talk about EDGE RANK (Facebook)

Degree
To put it as simply as possible, edge rank determines how much reach your facebook posts are going to get. A lot of people will build up a facebook page (usually with likes that they paid FB for) and then post article after article linking to their sites, and they'll get almost no reach unless they've dropped huge bucks on buying a massive audience. You can do MORE with LESS, simply by using a bit of strategy.

The folks at buffer and similar services will have you believe that it's all about posting good articles at the right times of day, but if you only post articles then your reach is going to suffer. A lot.

Look at the other types of posts you can make. Videos, images, text... and USE THEM. The time of day that you post makes a difference, too. If you built up your fan page with really cheap likes from India and Bangladesh and the Philippines then post when those people are going to be awake and on their computers. You still obviously want to post articles along with the images, videos and text posts... but make sure you're mixing it up, and then when you DO post an article you'll get a MUCH higher reach.

For example, if you post a video and it gets some attention, then you post an image your image will get more attention than if you just started off with it instead of building up to it with the video. And the same goes for your articles. If you can get a streak going then by the time you do post your article, you are going to have a higher edge rank and therefor Facebook will put your article infront of a LOT more people.

So if your Facebook strategy looks like this:
Post article - Post article - Post article - Post article... you are REALLY missing the point.

Get it like this:
Video - image - image - video - article - video - image ... etc.

I'm not going to reveal the times of day and the exact formulas that are working for me, partly because it took a ton of testing to figure out, but also because it varies from page to page.

Things to test:
Times of day, different types of posts, which types of images work best for your page, how long to wait in between each post, etc.

Here's one little nugget I will share:
In a recent test (to an audience of nearly 2 million, across several pages..) I found that posting a lot of times in a day compared to posting a couple of times totaled roughly the same reach. So, I could post a few times and get massive reach on them, or post many more times and get less reach per post. It's almost as if Facebook has a hard line where they're like "Ok, we will give you this many eyeballs, but that's IT for the day." Admittedly, this wasn't the most scientific test... I'm hoping some more Facebook people can chime in with their fanpage results and their own thoughts on boosting edgerank.

Came here to be a hater, but this is actually solid info. Thanks.

This helps explain why I have 1000's of likes on my FB page but nothing I post ever gets seen... I just post article after article.

So you want to choose the few pages of your site you really want to drive traffic at, versus trying to get everything out there gaining likes and shares?

I guess that ups the ratio of the # of posts you're making that actually get interaction to the number that don't, which is why it works. I bet this algorithm is as nutty as Google's, really.

So you want to choose the few pages of your site you really want to drive traffic at, versus trying to get everything out there gaining likes and shares?

I guess that ups the ratio of the # of posts you're making that actually get interaction to the number that don't, which is why it works. I bet this algorithm is as nutty as Google's, really.

No, sorry, I guess I was unclear...

When I said pages, I was referring to FB pages (I did that test on a few FB pages, not website pages...)

As for which pages on your WEBSITE that you share... Well, I don't post all of my articles to FB, just the ones that were created with "shareability" in mind. I have articles that are geared towards bringing in search traffic, and others that are geared towards bringing in viral traffic. Now, a lot of articles can double as both, but an article about "Red widgets with green patterns" that's strictly informational isn't going to get the same social traction as something like "My husband left me after he saw my red widgets."

I really try to look at organic search traffic and social traffic as two different beats, but they do cross over from time to time.

Back