Legal Question: Watermarking random photos for social and not posting on website

Nat

Degree
Are there any consequences of adding my website URL to a corner of a photo that isn't mine and uploading it to my social properties? Obviously having my URL on a photo is an obvious "look, he did it," but if I never post the photo anywhere on my actual site can I still get in trouble?

Are you reproducing a copy-written work without consent or paying royalties? I doubt any thing will happen, may a take down request. Try sticking with creative commons maybe - or just don't worry about it. I'd fathom 90% of pictures on the internet are reports - thing meme generators with Sean Bean in them...
EvaxFG9.jpg

Are you reproducing a copy-written work without consent or paying royalties? I doubt any thing will happen, may a take down request. Try sticking with creative commons maybe - or just don't worry about it. I'd fathom 90% of pictures on the internet are reports - thing meme generators with Sean Bean in them...
EvaxFG9.jpg

For instance, checking Deviant Art's hot list, seeing that 1 of the images relates to a niche, downloading it, adding watermark, and then posting to Facebook page. There could be a takedown request, but it would be directed to Facebook right? My site wouldn't' be at any risk, right? Does FB ban pages or accounts for takedowns?

For instance, checking Deviant Art's hot list, seeing that 1 of the images relates to a niche, downloading it, adding watermark, and then posting to Facebook page. There could be a takedown request, but it would be directed to Facebook right? My site wouldn't' be at any risk, right? Does FB ban pages or accounts for takedowns?
This just doesn't sound like a good route to go down.

Reactions: Nat
This just doesn't sound like a good route to go down.
I was just trying to throw out a concrete example. Heres another one, what about editing some of the front page of /r/pics images into memes with a watermark? I'm just trying to find out where you draw the line, because people edit and republish photos all the time.

I'd worry far less about the legality than I would the effectiveness. I don't think it's going to make or break your main purpose, which is to entertain current followers and gain new ones. The residual traffic isn't going to be much or valuable, in my opinion. I'd either watermark it or not. But I'd definitely be posting pictures either way.

Reactions: Nat
Back