Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
The Course: https://qntm.org/files/perl/perl.html

I previously linked to this same guy's site in the thread for :
Learn Regular Expressions in About 55 Minutes by Sam Hughes

Again, I've not worked my way through it and may not any time soon, but it's worth a share for those interested. Here's how it starts:

Perl is a dynamic, dynamically-typed, high-level, scripting (interpreted) language most comparable with PHP and Python. Perl's syntax owes a lot to ancient shell scripting tools, and it is famed for its overuse of confusing symbols, the majority of which are impossible to Google for. Perl's shell scripting heritage makes it great for writing glue code: scripts which link together other scripts and programs. Perl is ideally suited for processing text data and producing more text data. Perl is widespread, popular, highly portable and well-supported. Perl was designed with the philosophy "There's More Than One Way To Do It" (TMTOWTDI) (contrast with Python, where "there should be one - and preferably only one - obvious way to do it").

Perl has horrors, but it also has some great redeeming features.
Have fun and make money!

Someone once quoted:

To compare Elixir to Python, I'd say that Python is a Ferrari and Elixir is an F14.

I'd have to add to my friend's quote, if Python is a Ferrari and Elixer is an F14, then Perl is the manifestation of infinity.

1eiDRmC.gif

Fun Fact: over 90% of SERPWoo's total code is Perl.

Perl was the first scripting language I learned when I started getting into Unix (and then Linux) in the early 90s. I owe a lot of what I know as a developer and sysadmin to the days when I was writing and reverse-engineering tons of Perl code.

Back