Knownhost OS upgrade

Degree
Dear Customer,

We are sending you this notice in regards to the operating system on your VPS reaching the end of it's life. Your base operating system, CentOS5x will reach the end of its life span on March 31st, 2017. At this same time, cPanel will no longer release any security patches or updates for your software since they have determined that cPanel v56 will be the last version available for your operating system. To ensure that you are continually kept up to date with the latest software and security patches to be able to continually provide you with the best support possible we are offering you two upgrade paths to update your VPS to the latest base operating system of CentOS7 64bit.

Option #1 - The in place upgrade.
This option allows you to keep your existing IP addresses and we perform an in place upgrade to your VPS. During this process your VPS will experience between 15 minutes to 1~ hour of downtime to allow for us to transition your files to the new system. We carefully compare and diagnose each system before hand to ensure that the new upgraded operating system matches your old configuration as closely as possible. This is performed free of charge on a first come first serve basis and is the preferred method to bring you up to date as quickly as possible.

Option #2 - Standard migration.
This option will provide you with a second VPS with new IP addresses free of charge for 4 days. During this time you will be able to work with our support staff to perform a traditional cPanel migration of your websites and services from your old VPS, to a brand new updated VPS. You would not experience any downtime in transitioning this way, but it is a slower process and requires updating your name servers and external services to new IP addresses. Should your migration extend past the 4 day period you may be billed for two VPS's until the migration is complete.​

Option 1 is very easy and Option 2 seems a little weird. Considering that they have given me the option 2 as well, is there any advantage to the option 2?? Or should I just go ahead with the simpler option 1. Just asking

I've done Option 1 twice now. It happened so fast I saw zero downtime. No problems or anything. You end up in the work queue and within a day or three they tell you they are starting and very soon after they tell you they're done.

Back