Issues With Testing Schema

Degree
I'm currently implementing schema for the articles on my services website and I'm having trouble when validating/testing the schema markup.

Here is what's happening.
  • Intially, I did all the changes for markup using Google's Markup Helper
  • I then copied all the relevant code from the Helper, and put it in my website.
  • I then went over to the Structure Data Testing Tool and put in the URL I was testing.
  • I came back with some errors (forgot to include a couple of fields)
  • I updated and included these fields and tried the test again.
  • Got exactly the same errors.
  • I went back into the Markup Helper to see if I maybe typed the code in wrong (I didn't) and found that the older iteration of my website was loading.
  • I checked this again with the Testing Tool, and it seemed it was still testing on my older iteration of the site.
I can't seem to re-test my updated site. I cleared my cache and cookies to see if it would work. It didn't. Hell, I even turned my laptop on and off again. :tongue:

Can anyone tell me why I'm getting this problem, and what I can do about it?

I couldn't find anything on the internet, so I thought I'd ask you guys to see if you have dealt with this before.

Cheers

It's not you that's getting the cache, it's Google's crawler.

Do you have a CDN (cloudflare) or some caching situation (plugin) going on the website? You need to clear that or temporarily turn it off so Google can get live data as you make the adjustments.

I'm currently implementing schema for the articles on my services website and I'm having trouble when validating/testing the schema markup.

Here is what's happening.
  • Intially, I did all the changes for markup using Google's Markup Helper
  • I then copied all the relevant code from the Helper, and put it in my website.
  • I then went over to the Structure Data Testing Tool and put in the URL I was testing.
  • I came back with some errors (forgot to include a couple of fields)
  • I updated and included these fields and tried the test again.
  • Got exactly the same errors.
  • I went back into the Markup Helper to see if I maybe typed the code in wrong (I didn't) and found that the older iteration of my website was loading.
  • I checked this again with the Testing Tool, and it seemed it was still testing on my older iteration of the site.
I can't seem to re-test my updated site. I cleared my cache and cookies to see if it would work. It didn't. Hell, I even turned my laptop on and off again. :tongue:

Can anyone tell me why I'm getting this problem, and what I can do about it?

I couldn't find anything on the internet, so I thought I'd ask you guys to see if you have dealt with this before.

Cheers

At least one person seems to have this problem: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/webmasters/xuR0lRYAiYM

Test using another browser (you will very likely get the same results).

If you get the same results, then instead of pasting the URL, choose "Code Snippet" tab, paste your code there and make sure the errors are gone. If you get a clean report, then don't fret too much. Just wait until the tool recrawls/updates.

Hi guys,

@CCarter & @built Thanks for the feedback. I finally got the schema working on the site and it seems whatever was happening with the Markup Helper and Testing Tool isn't happening anymore.

Do you have a CDN (cloudflare) or some caching situation (plugin) going on the website? You need to clear that or temporarily turn it off so Google can get live data as you make the adjustments.
No we aren't using any CDN, and have very limited plugins on the site. The ones that we do have don't do caching.

If you get the same results, then instead of pasting the URL, choose "Code Snippet" tab, paste your code there and make sure the errors are gone. If you get a clean report, then don't fret too much. Just wait until the tool recrawls/updates.

I ended up doing this and it helped. Turns out I stuffed up a couple of the div tags which was screwing with the themes tags when I first was doing this (seems my brain doesn't work once the sun goes down). Got it working after a good nights sleep. All sorted now and schema implemented cleanly on all relevant pages.

tghf.gif

Hi guys,

CCarter & built Thanks for the feedback.

builder, not built :smile:

I ended up doing this and it helped. Turns out I stuffed up a couple of the div tags which was screwing with the themes tags when I first was doing this (seems my brain doesn't work once the sun goes down). Got it working after a good nights sleep. All sorted now and schema implemented cleanly on all relevant pages.

UabZFW8.jpg

Back