• Yes

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
Without getting into 'define success' types of talks, without any explanations or prefacing, I'm just curious where everyone sees their business.

Whatever success means to you... does your online business, right now, meet your criteria of success?

I'm more than 3 years into my online affairs beating my day job for income, so yes. Sometimes I feel like it isn't that successful, simply because I'm at roughly 5k/mo these days and used to be at 8k/mo, but I try to remember that I could also be at 0k/mo, at which point I'd find 5k/mo amazing. All about perspective.

I've put yes because success to me is less about money and more about freedom. The fact that I can do whatever I want, whenever I want and don't have to ask anyone's permission, while still paying the bills, makes it a success for me. Of course the money is a nice bonus!

I pressed 'no,' ultimately because I'm not able to achieve my highest goals yet. I have freedom but not the final freedom where I can start providing that for others too.

But keeping it realistic, yeah it's a "success" and has been for a long time. But it's not where I want it by a long shot.

I'm making money right now regardless if I have time to work on my sites or not. I had the nuts and drive to plant these seeds and keep watering them, and now they're flowering. Meanwhile everyone around me is crying about money, but also didn't have any interest in what I was talking about constantly when I got started. I call it a win. Maybe it'll explode by the time I need to be starting "a real career" and I won't have to.

Definate no.

However, although the OP specificly mentioned we shouldnt go into specifying success...idk, idk if it's worth mentioning or if this is a given to most people here, but personally I've felt it important to realize success (imo) cant be defined; it's a moving goal.

And the most "successful" people I ve known have have always treated it such aka never settled.

So progress, growth or fullfillment may imo be better metrics.

If your goal is to make 10M, you re most likely never gonna make it if you'd feel successful at 10M. And vice-versa if you make it there, prob you'll not feel like you ve arrived.

Just my 2c and purely from observation, though I think there s some nugget of wisdom related to the goals we set for ourselves, and how those goals affect our happiness/end-result..

It goes in waves. At the start, i was doing good, it boomed without much forethought or planning - i hit upon something which had a demand in the market and i road the wave. However, i did not marketing, no expansion, didn't engage my customers, did virtually no sales and ultimately, competitors moved into the space and things went on a downward curve.

But during every downward curve, i'm forced to radically reassess my approach, refocus my energy, and enjoy a new period of growth.

It's hard to engage with this growth/contraction phasic model and see whether i have something sustainable long term, but, until i am able to completely relax (which i'm not currently), then i still have a long way to go.

Back