Is There Any Way to Speed Up Ezoic Ads? It's Hurting My Page Speed Scores

Cash Builder

BuSo Pro
Degree
Another question: is there any way to speed up Ezoic ads? This is the speed of my homepage with ads disabled -
no-ads.png

And with ads -
with-ads.png

I've installed the Ezoic speed app but it didn't do anything to lower the load times.

I've not used Ezoic partially for this specific reason. But I'd assume at least that they're loading their ads asynchronously, so it shouldn't be hurting your "real" page speed scores, which include stuff like "Time to First Paint." You want ANYTHING on the page to appear fast, and especially above-the-fold stuff. Asynchronous ads won't affect this, though it'll hurt your "fully loaded time" scores, but I don't think Google uses those nor do users care. They care about interacting with the page quickly.

Anyways, Ezoic has some way where you can route your domain through their nameservers, which I wouldn't want to do but I'd suspect that could speed up the delivery a little bit. I think that possibility exists mainly if you want to use their split-testing where they screw your templates all around, another thing I wouldn't want to do.

My real suggestion would be to use Pre-fetching, and not in the HTML. If you put it in the HTML in the <head> then the browser still has to connect to your domain, download the source code, parse it, and find that pre-fetch rule in order to then connect to Ezoic's servers. What you can do, for example on Apache servers, is create a server pushing rule in the .htaccess file.

But to do that you need to be on HTTP/2 and fully SSL compliant. And then you need to figure out how to set up server pushing, which was a nightmare when I first did it. And then if you're using a CDN you have to get them to enable it too.

All for what ends up being a really minimal gain. You might save 30-100 milliseconds tops, just on the ads themselves, which are most likely asynchronous and not truly affecting your page speed scores.

Take a whirl through Google Pagespeed Insights and check the Desktop & Mobile scores. Mobile will look bad, everyone's does because they use 3rd World mobile speeds during the tests. Desktop will let you know if you have any real problems with getting to a first meaningful paint, etc.

Don't worry about it :D
1AAfoZs.png

I made my site as fast as I can (nginx, redis, etc) and gave up on these tools a long time ago. They used to bother me but if you run ads then you can't avoid a terrible score IMO. I constantly check my site on other cell phones etc all the time and it's quick to get meaningful content.

@Darth, lol, those request numbers remind me of using Sovrn / Lijit. They're more concerned with data harvesting under the guise of delivering ads.

What network is that you're using there?

Another question: is there any way to speed up Ezoic ads? This is the speed of my homepage with ads disabled -
no-ads.png

And with ads -
with-ads.png

I've installed the Ezoic speed app but it didn't do anything to lower the load times.
I'm using Ezoic on one of my sites through Cloudflare and I used to get horrible load times like yours. I used to think it was down to Ezoic (which partially is) but results can be greatly improved for a near-instant load using these settings on the Site Speed App:

- Lazy Load Images: On
- Next-Gen: On
- Resize Images: On

These three settings alone will be the major timesavers. What these three settings do is take your fat ass 1024px, 0% compression, 1MB JPG and 1. Resize the image to what's actually being used e.g say you're displaying that 1024px image in a 300x300 square, Ezoic automatically resizes it to 300px, thus gaining massive image size reduction 2. transform the img into Webp format (massive image size reduction again) and 3. lazy load that resized, compressed, beautiful Webp image so that it won't load until the user actually needs to see it.

Rinse and repeat for ALL the images on your site.

Tick the Efficient Static Cache Policy and Pre-Connect Origins boxes as well. I wouldn't mess with the CSS settings as that can really fuck up your website.

Now go, run Pagespeed again and show us your results :wink:

@Darth, lol, those request numbers remind me of using Sovrn / Lijit. They're more concerned with data harvesting under the guise of delivering ads.

What network is that you're using there?
Haha certainly not Sovrn who I remember as paying very poorly!

I'm using Ezoic on one of my sites through Cloudflare and I used to get horrible load times like yours. I used to think it was down to Ezoic (which partially is) but results can be greatly improved for a near-instant load using these settings on the Site Speed App:

What is your TTFB?

I have similar setup & mine is around 1sec

- Lazy Load Images: On
- Next-Gen: On
- Resize Images: On

Tick the Efficient Static Cache Policy and Pre-Connect Origins boxes as well. I wouldn't mess with the CSS settings as that can really fuck up your website.

Now go, run Pagespeed again and show us your results :wink:

Untitled1.png

Slight improvement on the time, but I already lazy load images and videos, and I resize all images before I upload them.

PageSpeed Insights scores are better:

Mobile - 52
Desktop - 95

These are the scores that matter, so as long as the visitors see content quickly I'll just have to live with slow overall scores while I'm using ads on my site.

Back