Is it better to do a joint venture or be a lone wolf?

Degree
I have all these questions saved up :tongue:

I work on my site alone but I have been contacted a few times from people who want to team up which surprises me because Im still new to this. I dont want to be trying to guide someone else along while Im still learning but a JV with someone whos ahead of me might be a great way to learn.

Im looking for experience from people who are successful working on their own or successful working in teams so I can see if it might be right for me.

Thanks <3

While I'd like to venture in a joint fashion.
It is extremely hard to find people in the same mindset - and securing anything over international lines when collaborating over the net... I have not found a way to make ti work.

::emp::

Collaborate with someone on a project, can be a great success. If you both have a good motivation, you can compleet stuff a lot faster. There you motivate each other to keep going, so you have more of a commitment to continue working. It works very well if you qualities complement each other.

On the other hand, it is indeed difficult to find suitable individuals.

I would say go JVs. Sure, there are many kinds of JVs but, in most cases having some extra brains on board will allow you to move much faster. Just be careful, as you know a lot of people out there will try to screw you up at some point. Especially if they recognized that you are up to something special.

Go Lone Wolf or make sure the partner brings equal or greater value/commitment.

It just depends on you, the project, and the partner. I wouldn't do a JV just for the sake of it but if the project requires more efforts and you both bring something to the table it can be great.

A JV only makes sense if your partner brings a unique skill/asset to the table that you wouldn´t be able to get on your own.

For example, if you´re building a SaaS/mobile app a JV between a coder and an IMer makes perfect sense, but two IMers working on the same content website doesn´t IMO.

There´s too much risk involved for little reward. Also think about the extra time involved (meetings, bookkeeping etc) and possibly the loss of motivation if you only get 50% of the earnings.

I partnered up with a writer on one of my content sites, because she was a real expert and had access to people I didn´t know. So I thought 1+1 = 3. Well, that was a mistake. She´s doing a great job, but I´m spending way too much time on this project explaining how everything works, giving instructions, coming up with ideas and calculating rev share. And time is my most valuable asset.

In your case, I think you´re better off looking for a mentor.

Back