Is Authoritylabs worth the price?

Degree
Has anyone used these guys for rank tracking before? They seem more expensive than other options I'm just wondering if that's because they're any better and more accurate or is it just a branding thing that lets them charge more... calling themselves an authority = higher price? Is this just more guru nonsense or are they the real deal?

I hadn't heard of them until I saw their ceo or something like that having a twitter meltdown and frankly kind of being a jerk. But I guess any press is good press and maybe other people have taken notice too. I don't really care if someone is a jerk or not if their product is good... but I can't tell what makes authority labs any different than serpfox, serpbook, protranktracker, microsite masters.... except the price. Can anyone clue me in?

Now I'm curious if I should invest in authority labs or if I'm better off sticking with serpfox for half the price?

Here is what happened... People were trying to figure out why none of the SEO tools out there were able to track Penguin 3 - until several people pointed out the SERPWoo actually spotted it. MozCast, reportedly Authority Labs (from some guy that apparently works with or closely with them), and algoroo didn't have any significant changes to showcase Penguin where SERPWoo did.

Here is the first tweet that started this:

Penguin 3.0 seems to have eluded many of the search volatility tools. @AuthorityLabs looks like we should revisit building a proper one.

Source: https://twitter.com/rjonesx/status/523937803651252224

Well I had to come and troll them of course:

@iamriplash @rjonesx @joehall Don't worry, when @mozcast & @AuthorityLabs are slacking, @SERPWoo is there to showcase the real data #SERPWoo

Source: https://twitter.com/MercenaryCarter/status/523942275660136448

Some light trolling, then we all move along... But then my dude Jared posted this:

Lol wow @AuthorityLabs throwing down on serpwoo there. Battle!

Source: https://twitter.com/jaredmckiernan/status/523985297000759298

Long escalating troll ensued and then finally the CMO went off and stated this:

I love how hard some competitors try to be relevant when they're just mediocre spins on nothing new. Maybe they should rebrand to SERPPoo.

Source: https://twitter.com/blafrance/status/523984678206717954

^^ AuthorityLabs' CMO hates us... LOL Apparently SERPWoo getting the upper-hand was too much for Mr Brian LaFrance.

Problem is AuthorityLabs is pretty much just an overpriced rank tracker that MicroSiteMasters and SERPFox and other rank trackers are undercutting - from that I gather.

I was just out for some lite nightly trolling and looks like we hooked a whale on this one... my headline "AuthorityLabs hates them..." is going to be plastered everywhere... lol - I was able to bait some girl from moz as well, so that was an added bonus.

Why in the world would they respond to an obvious troll is beyond me... This is a lesson you NEVER Punch downward - cause it bring you down to their level OR it pulls them up to your level. Now we're on the grand stage with AuthorityLabs, MozCast, and Algoroo, and they all know who we are... :smile:

Thanks for the context... I'm not sure why he is getting so upset since you guys don't even make the same type of product but this really makes him/them look insecure. I mean it seems like you guys took the first shot but they handled it like all these immature "internet thugs" instead of someone who represents a business. Anyways, I don't want this thread to get derailed with drama but who's the guy that was working on the case study about marketing fails? I think it was @thamonsta. Maybe this is a good candidate.

Is authority labs pretty much an overpriced version of the same old same? Can anyone who has used it give some feedback? I'd like to get some opinions besides the guy who just trolled them if that's possible... no offense but I think Carter is obviously a bit biased here.

I saw yesterday's conversation CC made with other competitors especially "AuthorityLabs" they don't know nothing about PR management, also Reputation Management, I still see some medium brands doing well if someone expose a problem they admit. Besides that they ask people's help and they also correct their mistakes wisely, so they increase buyers (consumer) trust instead of dimension their reputation and market share acting like teenagers !

Maybe someone can get a representative here to comment on why someone should choose AL over the competition and why they demand such a premium price? Between this debacle and that Wickedfire thread it seems hard to find someone with anything positive to say about AuthorityLabs which is strange. I always like to hear both sides of the story though so if anyone from Authority Labs reads this please chime in.

What difference are you expecting to see with AL than you currently have or can get with Micromasters or Serpbook? End of the day they all do the same thing - "Show you your positioning in the serps"

Now am not promoting or have any affiliation but what you need to be looking at is what is happening in the serps in the future and what you need for that is SerpWoo.

Its all good checking Serpbook every morning and seeing green signals here or red signals here but without the actual raw data you don't know whats around the corner i.e Penguin 4.2324 etc etc

For me I have Serpbook for my Clients and use MS for my personal sites. Do my clients care how there KW are been tracked? Nope there just interested on me making them more $$$ and you should have the same mentality my friend...

Just my 2cents for the day...

@Pacman You're right, I just figured there might be some kind of advantage. Maybe they have more servers checking, they update more often, get more accurate results? I don't know... that's what I asked haha. When I see something that's priced a lot more, I get curious *why* and if the price is justified or not.

Authority Labs is local here in AZ, and I went to lunch with a buddy and Brian the owner of AL. He was an overall nice guy, but super arrogent by bragging about how they are superior to any other rank tracker on the market. He gave me a free trial for 3 months, and I saw no difference in the tracking compared to micosite, or serpbook. And I track over 10 sites, and hundreds of keywords.

In the end, no way was it worth the "premium price"

Back