Interview Etiquette - Asking for a Link?

animalstyle

BuSo Pro
Degree
Last week I did an interview with a reporter was from an established publication. We are talking a big and respected brand with a loyal readership. The article I did the interview for will be printed in the magazine and posted online.

The reason I was contacted was was for feedback from an expert. Obviously my site then has enough authority to make that possible. I've looked around their other articles and they cite resources as links frequently. I'd ASSUME they would cite me as I sent a ton of resources from my site for their use writing the article.

I want badly to secure a link from them, it would be a game changer. I'd guess there is a 75% chance it will happen as a citation - is it tacky to just simply follow up and ask if a link can be included? Would it be better to wait until after the article has published and if no link, ask?

I don't think your chances decrease in obtaining the link by asking after publication, assuming it's not there.

There's no reason for this other than it's how I'd play it: I'd wait and see if the link is there when it's published. If it's not, then I'd ask the writer or editor.

You say they tend to cite their sources so I can't imagine it being an issue. I don't think it's bad etiquette either. You helped them out, they can help you out. That's what business is all about, finding mutually agreeable middle grounds so everyone benefits.

I don't think your chances decrease in obtaining the link by asking after publication, assuming it's not there.

There's no reason for this other than it's how I'd play it: I'd wait and see if the link is there when it's published. If it's not, then I'd ask the writer or editor.

You say they tend to cite their sources so I can't imagine it being an issue. I don't think it's bad etiquette either. You helped them out, they can help you out. That's what business is all about, finding mutually agreeable middle grounds so everyone benefits.

^^ Agree. If it's a legit publication like you said and they came looking for you (not you contacting them) then they shouldn't have an issue with it.

We've done that for clients in local publications here (second largest in the area) but I can imagine it being any different.

Good work in getting to be viewed as an authoritative source for the media. I'm sure you did this but be sure to let them know you're available in case they do a different article in the future. If, by some odd reason they don't do exactly what you ask this time, then you build trust the more you work with them.

Maybe you could tell them you're going to feature them on your site "As Featured On (Publication Name)". They obviously think you're authoritative so I'm sure that may help sway them.

Sorry, couldn't edit my other post but keep in mind that reporters move from publication to publication so if you build a good relationship with that one reporter, if they ever move to a different publication they may come back to you as a source and you could get featured in that publication as well.

Back