Indexing a website in Google

Nat

Degree
I want to start off by saying this -- My plan of action for growing and monetizing my website does not center around ranking well in Google and getting lots of organic traffic that way. However, ignoring Google would be stupid. I've had no problem indexing new websites in the past. From my experience, even on a really fresh domain, all that a good quality article needs is a submission to reddit or a tweet with a trending hashtag to get the post indexed in Google.

However, I'm not dealing with a fresh domain or a few quality articles. I restored a website that had been offline for several years AND the original link structure could not be recovered. So, I've got thousands of pages, not all of them are high quality, that immediately showed up on the website. All of the content had been de-indexed anyways, but I'm sure that a new link structure isn't helping.

There wasn't any way for me to drip feed the new content, plus that would have taken forever. So, everything appeared all at once, and of course, Google hated it. I have DragonByte SEO which generates a nice sitemap, etc, and I've casually posted links from the site to several different types of social networks / websites. However, there are less than 100 pages indexed in Google, and its been like that for over a month. Any suggestions?

That sounds about right, without inbound links to some of the rollup pages.

I always try to pay attention to architecture.. so instead of 10,000 posts of:

site.com/page-name

You have 30 posts of
site.com/topic/page-name

And then build links to the main topic door. This helps get the individual sections indexed, rank well (more topical relevance) and the content scoring components of the algorithm seem to really prefer this. My guess is that by giving a better hierarchical view of the site, they can infer more about the content itself.

If you're really worried, I'd check content similarity. Some shit will have a hard time ranking, especially if 100+ pieces of similar, tightly themed content show up instantly. Also look at topic depth and breadth. Make sure your content is actually good, fairly unique, or at least comprehensive within your niche.

Depends on whether you're willing to use it, but Google's Webmaster Tools would allow you to submit your sitemap, which guarantees crawls of all those pages at least once. If they don't get indexed based on the merit of the content, then you can add a little persuasion with some deep links and growing your overall domain-wide link profile.

Keep throwing links at it, multiple reddit submissions to strategically choosen pages

Back