I'm in the Dominican Republic

GNews

White Hat Genius
BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm in the Dominican Republic.

The news is def bogus. Anybody got an idea why the country is being targeted so hard at this moment?

I see BUS LOADS of people taking advantage of the shadows being casted on the tourism... literally.

I haven't been back in 2 year and i see the economy was booming by Casa De Campo ...... immense investment and it seems done so by actual Dominicans vs the usual European hand over the country. Could their self-sufficiency be what's bothering Trump/US Government.

Are you referring to how the media portrays the country?
I would say that isn't exclusive to the Dominican Republic. The media never gets foreign countries right. It's in fact usually completely wrong.

Yeah, something is fishy about the whole thing. I've been to the DR a few times and never had any issues, although, half the wedding party got sick the last time I was there (this is a known issue with bad water there). Otherwise, no different than any other third world Caribbean country I've visited. You have to think there is something bigger going on in the travel industry, trying to give the DR a bad name.

It's funny, I'm leaving for Mexico on Sunday and everyone is telling me to be careful with all the deaths going on. I have to remind them that people from the US die every day in other countries. This is nothing new. Millions of people visit the DR every year, in fact tourism has been booming there in recent years. Same rules apply there as in any area you visit (including all major cities in the US). Be smart, don't do dumb shit, watch your surroundings, don't wonder into bad areas and you'll be just fine (oh, and don't drink the water..lol).

In journalism, this time of the year is known as the 'silly season', meaning not much newsworthy is going on (apart from Donald helping the clicks no matter what side of the political spectrum you are). So that's when you get this kind of story doing the rounds, or social media being 'horrified' by the new Cats film trailer or killer hornets from Africa or South America or... or... or...

Yeah, something is fishy about the whole thing. I've been to the DR a few times and never had any issues, although, half the wedding party got sick the last time I was there (this is a known issue with bad water there). Otherwise, no different than any other third world Caribbean country I've visited. You have to think there is something bigger going on in the travel industry, trying to give the DR a bad name.

It's funny, I'm leaving for Mexico on Sunday and everyone is telling me to be careful with all the deaths going on. I have to remind them that people from the US die every day in other countries. This is nothing new. Millions of people visit the DR every year, in fact tourism has been booming there in recent years. Same rules apply there as in any area you visit (including all major cities in the US). Be smart, don't do dumb shit, watch your surroundings, don't wonder into bad areas and you'll be just fine (oh, and don't drink the water..lol).

Mexico is a bit different. Even people in mexico tell me, i can't go some place and they are SUPER CAUTIOUS or just don't go to certain places after Dark.

Agree with the basic rules.

it's pretty bad outside of the tourist areas

What are you talking about? I NEVER stay in tourist areas in DR.. they are known money traps and for NO REASON.

Pitbull just launched a restaurant down the street from where I'm at in La Romana in the last year or so... on the beach of the main beach for the people................. lots of investing going on here.. ....

2 White American women live ere nearby... 1 which is marrying a local guy ..

Plenty of Black travelers come and enjoy

And older men of all reaces retire here and walk the streets with their taco meat out and 2 gold chains on from the 90s lol Living out their Dreams..

i think it has to do with Political interests not being given in to. DR"s been forced out of their resources since the beginning. I wish the government would hold their balls on whatever is going on.

Mexico is a bit different. Even people in mexico tell me, i can't go some place and they are SUPER CAUTIOUS or just don't go to certain places after Dark.

Agree with the basic rules.

What are you talking about? I NEVER stay in tourist areas in DR.. they are known money traps and for NO REASON.

Pitbull just launched a restaurant down the street from where I'm at in La Romana in the last year or so... on the beach of the main beach for the people................. lots of investing going on here.. ....

2 White American women live ere nearby... 1 which is marrying a local guy ..

Plenty of Black travelers come and enjoy

And older men of all reaces retire here and walk the streets with their taco meat out and 2 gold chains on from the 90s lol Living out their Dreams..

i think it has to do with Political interests not being given in to. DR"s been forced out of their resources since the beginning. I wish the government would hold their balls on whatever is going on.

Yeah, my buddy loves DM. His place down there isn't near any tourist areas. He says the same thing. People hear the bullshit on the news and just assume the worst. I hear the same things about Jamaica (go at least 3-4 times a year). I've never had an issue there. Crime there is almost exclusively locals and almost always drug related. Stay away from the drug business and you're fine. Use usual caution as you would any other place.

I have a lot of experience with Asia and the same applies there.
We just have to realize that journalism is a very select crowd, in parts quite cult like. Journalists are generally urban, politically leftwing (though identify as "moderate" or "socially-liberal") and are into SWPL (regardless of race).
So basically for journalists the hipster areas of New York, Berlin, London and Paris, is where their world revolves from.
This unfortunately also means they often lack true perspective on "third world countries". They either come across as patronizing and removing agency from locals by reducing everything to feminist and vulgar-marxist analysis or simply not being interested due to lack of middle class comforts.
I guess this is why for a long time, bloggers were by far the most popular media personalities in these countries.

I live in Mazatlan Mexico, 7 years ago there was a shooting near a cruise ship, no tourists were harmed...they closed down cruises for 5 years and the population suffered hard. The locals here all have a theory, they say its a conspiracy the U.S trying to keep tourism local and poo poo on the foreign tourism so people are dissuaded from spending their money outside of the U.S.

I think its just a good news draw on a slow day, people in general like the stories and shock value and debate, takes their mind off the fact that there are 20 shootings a day in the U.S. Here in Mazatlan in 10 years I have never even seen a street fight and I go out to bars and clubs 3 times a week yet my family still asks me how I can live in Mexico since its so dangerous. My only beef is getting pulled over for ridiculous things and having to bribe the transit police as is customary here.

I live in Mazatlan Mexico, 7 years ago there was a shooting near a cruise ship, no tourists were harmed...they closed down cruises for 5 years and the population suffered hard. The locals here all have a theory, they say its a conspiracy the U.S trying to keep tourism local and poo poo on the foreign tourism so people are dissuaded from spending their money outside of the U.S.

I think its just a good news draw on a slow day, people in general like the stories and shock value and debate, takes their mind off the fact that there are 20 shootings a day in the U.S. Here in Mazatlan in 10 years I have never even seen a street fight and I go out to bars and clubs 3 times a week yet my family still asks me how I can live in Mexico since its so dangerous. My only beef is getting pulled over for ridiculous things and having to bribe the transit police as is customary here.

normal everywhere with the police. Essentially the hustle to try and get by day to day in most countries. And when you total it all together , probably still isn't as costly as 1 ticket in the US for something 'legit'

u know... like...
- Not coming to a complete stop
- Mysteriously pulled over and found to be driving without your REQUIRED insurance
- Speeding 8 miles over the speedlimit

I prefer paying my $500 pesos once in a blue and dipping on the Domincan Highway doing 120 LOL

hahaha I have a friend that has 7 year old expired plates for his car. He gets stopped once every month, I ask him why dont you just get new plates? He says the new plates since their so outdated would cost him late fees he would end up having to pay near $500 usd, its cheaper to pay 5 bucks every time he gets stopped for as long as he can swing it lol

Anyone been to Casa De Campo & Bavaro here in DR before?

Back