If you own 2 websites in the same niche...

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
Can you link them to each other?

Say you write an article on domain1.com, and you have an article on domain2.com that is related.

I would be very careful. People do this all the time, you can find plenty of clues between source code, contact form auto replies, and who is. If you have authority you shouldn't have problems. If these are two new sites with heavy SEO then probably best to not link them.

Can you link them to each other?

Say you write an article on domain1.com, and you have an article on domain2.com that is related.

Why wouldn't you want to keep people on your web properties? I would absolutely link them together and I'd do it as often as it makes sense. And by makes sense I don't mean for SEO but for keeping people on websites that make you money.

What if you had 20 sites all in the same niche, and they only linked to one another? Would linking to properties you don't own help you make more money or would you earn more by linking to your other 19 sites?

If you're strictly looking for an SEO benefit you'll want link to the best relevant domains you can. If you own those domains even better.

It should be based on a case by case basis. @Calamari brought up some good point but for me (again depending on niche, competition, SEO factors, etc) I keep all my sites completely separate. I'm sure IM people would be able to see which sites are mine if they really dug pretty deep but my normal customer won't do that (nor have the knowledge or time to do it).

This way, I sometimes play one company against each other in terms of price. This happens all the time with me in local markets. We'll get the same person "shopping" around for prices. It's funny that they don't realize they've already spoken to me a couple of times already. Doesn't matter to me though because it all goes into the same bank account.

It sounds like this is more of a SEO question though and just going strictly on that, @Chris Sanfilippo said - as long as the sites have authority then it shouldn't be a problem. You could also link to other non-competing authority sites if you can.

Why not merger the two sites into one giving that one site more authority and content, I would do that unless you are planning to play a game of rival sites bashing each other having different oppinions on the niche, however if that is the game it should be played caefully becouse often your writing style would be the first thing to give you away, since it's often very hard to fake a writing style passionatly and conviensingly to keep people/fans in the belife that it is indeed two different persons writing on each site.

Yes I would. If I'm writing a "build a wp site using an aged domain" article on my wordpress blog, I'm not going to explain how the Godaddy auction process works all over again. I'll just link to a relevant post on my domaining blog and continue on with my wordpress article. Plus big sites link out to their own sites all the time.

I don't see why not if the links are intended to drive traffic. It's perfectly normal to cross-promote.

I don't see why not if the links are intended to drive traffic. It's perfectly normal to cross-promote.
I'd be careful doing this....depends on the types of links that are being sent to each site.

Nothing wrong with that if they're related. Every single large media site does this.

However, I once tried one-way linking with a completely non-related site. Even with nofollow links, the other site started ranking for terms the linking site was strong for. In this particular case, it was a bad thing.

If you have them on same host(same IP) there won't be much juice, but having them on 2 separate hosting accounts would be much better...

Eli from bluehatseo (now founder and owner of AAO) called for complete SERP domination by owning the first ten results.

(Google bluehat seo serp domination. The forum won't let me post links yet)

Back