I Need a Quick Win or Just a Nudge in a Useful Direction

Degree
I'm guessing one of two things will come about from starting this thread. Either somebody will give me the push in the direction I need to be pushed, or I'll get shat on and retreat into my shell again.

I introduced myself nearly a year ago, then fell back into my usual trap of skating through life and not really applying myself.

However now things are changing and I realise I just cannot skate for much longer, I need to push myself to excel at something, but I am currently overwhelmed by the sheer amount of options and paths that are laid out in front of me.

Really I just need something simple that results in a handful of sales or a few $$ (I don't need instant riches), just some low hanging fruit, or a quick win that gets the hooks into me and leads to further success.

Success begets success as they say.

I don't need to see a youtube vid or gif of Shia Lebeouf pointing at his crotch screaming at me to "Just Do It" I know I need to do something, but my problem is what? What can I do in 2018 to make this year I pull my head out and start winning so much that I get tired of winning?

Hoping somebody here can give me that one tip, that one pdf I should read, that one method that will kickstart my IM career.

Where do I go from here?

Just do the crash course, it really is that simple.

Look, if you've been around long enough to know about WF, there's no "that one article" that's gonna suddenly put all the pieces into place. You've read all the articles. Now comes the shitty part where you've gotta do all the work.

How far did you get when you tried this last year?

Really I just need something simple that results in a handful of sales or a few $$ (I don't need instant riches), just some low hanging fruit, or a quick win that gets the hooks into me and leads to further success.

Find something selling well on ebay, and sell some of the same thing. Even if it's something stupid like a type of fidget spinner. At least then you can legitimately say "I conducted business". Retail is the most basic form of business, buy from X sell to Y at markup. Worked for Steve Jobs for him getting his start.

You're asking the wrong questions.
  • What's the push button solution to make money?
  • Where's the magic article to open the flood gates?
  • What should I pursue in 2018?
The first two questions don't exist, but people ask it. And the people asking it nearly always get scammed by some guru who's going to sell you a $2,000 version of the free Digital Strategy Crash Course.

The third question is closer, but it's still wrong. You don't need to be asking "what do I pursue?" You need to be asking:

"How do I generate ideas and discard the bad ones and qualify the good ones so I can choose the best idea of the batch to pursue with all of my energy?"
This is what Day 2 of the Crash Course deals with.

You're asking for someone to tell you what to do. That's what an employee does. Your goal is to not be an employee. You have to think like a self-starting entrepreneur.

"What should I do?" needs to become "How do I know what I should do?" The quality of your question will determine the quality of the help you receive.

Yeah I was kicking myself a bit for making this thread, It's a long weekend here and I'd had a bit to drink. Almost got up in the middle of the night to delete it because I realised it was a pretty stupid thread to make.

I've been reading the crash course and I'll continue on with that. I'm a bit stuck in analysis paralysis atm and keen to start doing something, I guess I just need to hurry up and decide on something and start working on it.

Got to have the fire in the belly bro.

I think it was CCarter who wrote something to that. Do you want this or do you need this?

Cause there are plenty of people who NEED this.

Something that I've found interesting is this negotiation with the universe that people seem to do, and I'm not trying to pick you on here OP or put any words in your mouth, this just reminds me of something I see often enough.

"I'm not looking to get filthy rich here, just enough to get by for now. I'm not greedy or anything... Just need something simple..."

It's like some people associate shame and greed with massive success, and in turn associate virtue with achieving less. If that's the case at all, try to scrub that out of your mind real quick.

As if the universe sees someone who wants a LITTLE BIT of low hanging fruit, as opposed to some greedy guy who wants the whole orchard, and is going to dish out rewards accordingly.

But the problem there is that you don't inherently deserve to achieve mild success anymore than I deserve crushing failure or massive success.

It's not a negotiation, you just have to grab it, and I think it's (at the very least) counter-productive (if not immoral...) to hold back, or to set the bar so low for yourself that even achieving exactly what you set out to do would still only be just enough to scrape by.

The missing ingredient here isn't information, nor opportunity, there's an abundance of both. If you're not interested in what Tony, E.T., or Gary have to say to get you fired up, that's fine. But you have to figure out what's holding you back mentally, identify it, and cut off all oxygen to it. Not once, but every single day.

If it's a garden, you can't just kill the weeds once. You can't just water it once. Some gardens produce a lot more than others, some gardens have a lot more weeds than others, and you'll grow big enough to fit the size of your planters, so why limit it? When I was starting out and barely had any living expenses, I earned just enough to cover that and a bit more. As my living expenses grew, my income always seemed to find a way to kept up. If I had set the bar much higher then "I need x per month to survive", I wouldn't have wasted years just making enough to get by. I've had similar struggles to what you're explaining here, so I'm coming at this with first hand experience.

You need to get the snowball rolling, you need to create opportunities for yourself from scratch. They'll lead to other opportunities. That happens when you do things. That might be applying for a job at an agency, it might be selling stuff on eBay, it might be starting an affiliate site, it might be finding somebody more experienced who is doing what you want to be doing and willing to let you shadow them, it might be getting a second job at a call center so you can afford to sustain yourself while figuring out your business. I don't know your situation, but if you need something simple where you can put in x amount of time into the machine and it spits out a proportional amount of money in a predictable way, seek employment.

If you could trade the past year, and instead of falling into your trap, you just try a bunch of different things and fail miserably time and time again, that would be an incredible, life-changing trade to be able to make. You're infinitely better off failing at something as opposed to doing nothing, in my opinion.

What is it about January that gets you in the mood to make changes, and why does it seem to fade away?

Wrong mindset. There is no one tip, one anything, that will give you what you want.

You will probably read that and brush it off. "Yeah, ok, I get that. There's no one thing. I was just writing it quickly. I don't really think there is some magic bullet..." etc etc.

Ahhhh but you DO believe that. Somewhere in the back of your mind something tells you to keep looking. Because once you know that thing, once you read that quote, once you find the piece...you'll be on your way. And this time you'll keep at it. This time it will be different.

That's 100% wrong. There is no one thing. It's a culmination of thousands of little things done every day.

Those things will start coming together when you start and as Shia said, just do it.

Do your research as per the crash course. That way you'll be pointing in the right direction. Then just go man. Just fuckin gooooooo.

You got this.

@JJ Eliott I learned not too long ago that purpose is found through action - not through thinking. Motivation is momentum created by action - not by sitting and watching another motivational YouTube video (though that does build momentum to watch more motivational YouTube videos).

Start generating ideas, latch on to one, and just GO. Create something of true value to people. Don't scam. Once you've got the ball rolling, you'll start to see how you can make your way and how long it will take for it to financially support you.

A quick win is a job. Seriously. You apply, start working and get paid - next to robbing a bank, its the most immediate way to money in your pocket. Some might say its a bad idea, you should just struggle or whatever, but I'd say if you REALLY need it, work the minimum amount. Measure this by energy expense, emotional expense and time expense - balanced. The goal is to leave you the maximum potent YOU outside the job. You'll be able to get by financially and put the absolute rest into doing your thing.

Also - I've just found that yoga is basically THE thing. How can we be expected to live and contribute as humans without control of the body or mind? Good yoga sorts this shit out. I've just started going to serious studio in a swanky area that is filled with all kinds of successful people who take time out of their very busy, successful lives to practice. I'm hooked and fairly convinced it is worth it's time in gold.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not intending to be a dick, and I truly hope these words will help you for the best.

You're searching for something that either A) doesn't exist OR B) won't do what you think.

Putting in Work
Let's take fitness and strength training as an example. These days, people go on and on about their pre-workouts and supplements. They have to have their headphones and "just the right song" to be totally on their game in the gym and feeling like they got in a good workout. It's +100 points if they get a good selfie in.... At the end of the day, it's all bullshit. It's self-restricting, relying on external factors, and putting the cart before the horse.

Go back a couple decades, and you'll find people who were just on another level with their training game. If you're at all familiar with the bodybuilding world, Dorian Yates is a good example. The guy straight murdered at his game, because he simply made a choice, and then approached it with a singular focus. That's incredibly important.

So what did these winners know that we don't? For one, less choice is sometimes a good thing. These days, workout bros are worried about their Instagoogletweetface status. That's time and focus wasted on not moving the weights. Damn kids need to get off my lawn.

We Defeat Our Own Selves
At the end of the day, the things we're talking about are a mental game. It's not about what you can get, that will somehow allow you to "make things happen". It's about the decisions you make and the mental resolve in those times where the path is far from clear or uplifting.

Example. I got 1 hour and 30 minutes sleep last night. Probably gonna be another late one tonight as well. I have multiple irons in the fire, both with my own stuff, and a few team projects I'm involved in. Lately, it's been NOTHING but failure. Like never-ending, soul-draining failure. Most of it for reasons a bit beyond my control unfortunately. Some of it my own doing, but I am ruthlessly self-correcting.

You know what though? I'll sleep when I DIE. Eyes are forward, goals are in focus. Things might be ambiguous as hell, but I'm on a MISSION. Motivation? That guy you're competing against is outworking you at every angle. You gonna let that stand??? You have to force your mind to be in it like Thermopylae.

Motivational Porridge
So, let's reel it back in a bit to something actionable. Not gonna lie, there's nothing sexy about this answer, but it gets the job done. What you need is to simply make a single choice and approach it with a singular focus. Now, I understand the over-abundance of choice these days makes that hard as hell.

What I will say is this. I've been around the block once or twice. Seen a lot of stuff. Some good, some bad. I still have yet to find anything in this realm remotely as powerful at achieving focus, as I have with the BuSo Digital Strategy Guide. Throw everything else out the window and just go through the guide. Trust me on that. The Guide is the marketing equivalent of bodybuilder's plain chicken, rice, and oatmeal (well, a lot more exciting than that LOL). It's exceptionally effective, IF applied persistently. There's no flashy video training course for thousands of dollars with gurus. There's no overpriced certifications. But it gets the job done if you use it.

you want a quick tip? Buy a marketplace thread here and offer content writing services. That's an exchange, and if you put in the work can earn you $$ for your time. Whether you scale that to being an editor of freelancer content or writing it yourself is for you to decide.

Example. I got 1 hour and 30 minutes sleep last night. Probably gonna be another late one tonight as well. I have multiple irons in the fire, both with my own stuff, and a few team projects I'm involved in. Lately, it's been NOTHING but failure. Like never-ending, soul-draining failure. Most of it for reasons a bit beyond my control unfortunately. Some of it my own doing, but I am ruthlessly self-correcting.

You know what though? I'll sleep when I DIE. Eyes are forward, goals are in focus. Things might be ambiguous as hell, but I'm on a MISSION. Motivation? That guy you're competing against is outworking you at every angle. You gonna let that stand??? You have to force your mind to be in it like Thermopylae.

I'm totally onboard with what you're trying to illustrate with this and wholeheartedly agree that a singular focus is key even if it means some other things neccesarily get sacrificed in the process. But man, please don't let your health be one of those things. For without health, what's the point of any of it? It's a commonly repeated mantra in entrepreneurial circles to skip sleep, live off ramen, and put in 20 hours in front of a screen every day until you make it. Surely, many millionaires and billionaries did just that.

I'd just like to make a PSA that this can also end really, really badly for you at any age and at any stage of your career. We live in a toxic world and we're all weaker than our grandparents were -- shit can go down real quick these days. Cancer, autoimmune disorders, and neurological disease can come for any of us any time if we're trashing our bodies. Staying healthy is the #1 prerequisite to success and enjoyment of any endeavor or reward that can be had in life. I would therefore suggest it be the #1 investment you make every single day you want to stay in the game.

@Bastion, I'm totally on the same page with you as far as health. I may work like that from time to time, or sometimes quite often. Though, I've figured out a recovery routine that makes it manageable.

Sometimes it's a matter of working like that during the week, burning the midnight oil. If I go a full week that way, I usually don't next to nothing on the weekend and just rest physically as well as try to rest my mind.

If I'm not under a significant deadline or other time crunch, at times I might do it for 2 or 3 days on end, and then take it easy and work normal for 2 or 3 days to balance it. I've done it enough to the point where I intuitively know when "I've had enough" and need to back off for a bit. :wink:

Definitely something to watch out for though. I've had friends that refused to listen to those internal indicators, that worked themselves into ulcers or more serious, degenerative conditions. Nothing is worth that, IMO.

Back