I don't know.

I actually love using that phrase. It shows whoever you are talking to you aren't trying to be a "know-it-all" and are willing to admit when you don't know something. It creates a deeper connection, and gives you an exit out of a situation which might be over your head. That's my second favorite phrased.

My first is "No." - without any explanation as to why. It seems rude, but it's concrete and will stop people from wasting your time, and leaves you without obligation.

There's that perspective, but from the perspective of a leader, "I don't know" is one of the worst phrases you can use and makes you come off as incompetent to both your superiors and your subordinates. Obviously this depends on the context. If someone randomly asks you the circumference of the moon, it's probably a good idea to say "I don't know". (unless you're an astrophysicist or something :tongue: )

But if it's ever a case where it's information you are expected to know, it's really annoying. Case in point: I come from a military background. If one of my recruits came to me and asked me something and I said I didn't know then they would be asking why the hell am I a sergeant in the first place. If I ask one of my corporals "Have the rations gone out yet?" and he says he doesn't know... that will make me upset because it's something I expect him to know and may just relieve him of his duties for the day.

So yeah I don't know can be a double edged sword. And there are always people that are very comfortable with just "not knowing" pertinent information so they can skirt responsibility. And it's very annoying.

I would much rather someone tell me they do not know the answer to a question then to hem, haw, evade and pretend. If I ask for information and they don't know please for the love of all things JUST TELL ME!

It is a waste of everyone's time to pretend to know if you don't. Also, in our industry there is so much information and a lot of it does change frequently so as long as you are secure in yourself, your knowledge, and your skills I don't see anything wrong with an honest 'I don't know'. Its better than being a bullshitter - there are more than enough of them in IM as it is.

There are definitely some situations where "I don't know" is not acceptable, but even then... I'd rather someone tell me they don't know why if the rations have gone out or not as opposed to saying "Yeah, they went out..." then running to do it. *no military background at all, so grain of salt.*

If it's your JOB to know something, then you'd better know. But for the most part, regarding this industry at least, people come looking for advice and answers to questions - it's better to tell someone you don't know and not waste both your time, versus pretending to know and spouting out some bullshit that could be detrimental to a long term project of theirs. It's impossible for one person to know everything even on a subject matter.

Coming from a leader perspective I agree with @lyannastark - if it's your job, you'd better know. If you don't know you are pretty much useless and it will make your employees feel lost at sea if the thing you are suppose to know is mission critical.

Was at a client's restaurant a few weeks ago.
The manager there knew absolutely nothing.

Throwing money out the window for a useless table reservation service and could not even tell how much.
(Only one example)
And that in front of the owner... How that guy still has a job is beyond me.

::emp::

This subject highlights one of the most significant issues in the SEM, SEO, and general marketing industries. Namely, not knowing what one doesn't know, as well as having too much ego to admit that they don't know something. If you take even one single side of these industries, or even just one small aspect, there is typically such a degree of complexity behind it that it's nearly impossible for anyone to have all of the answers. So, at least in this industry, I'd say being able to admit that one doesn't know, and then being willing to go out and find that answer for themselves is a significant strong suit. If I don't know something, personally, I like to tell people, "I may not know, but give me an hour and I'll have an answer and a solution for you." Research and critical thought skills FTW! :wink:

g8cjoKY.jpg

qX2RCQv.jpg

Being able to say
  • I don't know
  • No.
  • I was wrong
are very powerful tools that will catch people off guard, get them to lower their defenses and warm up to you, and gain respect from others.

They also protect you from weaving a web of lies, misguidance, and commitments around yourself that you can't later weasel out of when needed. It's just bad form every which way.

There is so much value, for any profession, in understanding the principles and philosophy of these four levels of competence. The only thing is, "unconscious" isn't correct, though it's the way it's commonly phrased. It should be subconscious. :wink:

There is so much value, for any profession, in understanding the principles and philosophy of these four levels of competence. The only thing is, "unconscious" isn't correct, though it's the way it's commonly phrased. It should be subconscious. :wink:

To clarify, it's only Level 4 that's screwed up, you are correct. Level 4 should be "Subconscious Competence", Level 1 should still be "unconscious Incompetence", since it is meant to be "without knowledge". Subconscious is still conscious, and with knowledge, but not at the conscious level.

It's like driving a car, if you've never driven a car, you are un-conscious of it, it wouldn't be in your subconscious at any level, since you've never learned. As you are learning to drive a car, and it's still knew, you are very conscious of the experience. After months and years of driving the knowledge becomes second nature and you don't really "think" of driving a car, driving has entered into the subconscious level and you just "drive".

In order for you to know something subconsciously, you first have to learn it at some level consciously.

I clearly need to get to work...

^^ yeah, that's incorrect now that I continue to think about it for level 1. It should be non-conscious instead of un-conscious.

Back