How to Target the "Fitness over 40" Demographic?

Degree
Hi Everyone
I have looked but very little in the way of keywords, but anyone have any idea's how to target people over 40 for diet and fitness via SEO?

Paid I can understand with demographics and such, but SEO.. anyone?

Maybe there just aren't keywords but you guys just blow me away with your out of the box thinking so thought I would ask

Thanks everyone

Rob

You could brainstorm reasons why people over 40 are looking into fitness that might not apply as much to younger people like heart disease and such, longevity and anti-aging, and also approach it from the side of symptoms like sore ____, aching joints, lethargy, sex drive, testosterone, and whatever else could potentially be improved with better strength and fitness that creeps up more in people over 40. That should open a lot of doors for keywords and content ideas.

Do you have an ahrefs account?

I always use ahrefs to find pages that rank for a lot of keywords on whatever topic I'm researching. Then I look to see what other keywords and topics they rank for.

It does look like you're going to have to shoot for a lot of long tail on this one.

Do you have an ahrefs account?

I always use ahrefs to find pages that rank for a lot of keywords on whatever topic I'm researching. Then I look to see what other keywords and topics they rank for.

It does look like you're going to have to shoot for a lot of long tail on this one.
I dont, but very happy to get one again as It's been a while since I was looking at SEO but about to get back into things as my site is about my fitness journey over 40.

Yeah can see what you mean by the longtails.. thanks for pointing out to mate

Thanks to everyone for their replies, I hadn't realised anyone replied as didnt have any notifications.

Will get on it, cheers again.. awesome!!

(I honestly clicked because I thought it was under the water cooler section and there'd be tips here. I'm "only" 35 but some days I feel my 40s are arriving just too damn fast.)

This isn't strictly SEO, but take a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/fitness30plus/. You might get more ideas as well as a backlink, traffic leaks, etc.

(I honestly clicked because I thought it was under the water cooler section and there'd be tips here. I'm "only" 35 but some days I feel my 40s are arriving just too damn fast.)

This isn't strictly SEO, but take a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/fitness30plus/. You might get more ideas as well as a backlink, traffic leaks, etc.
Thanks DD1 - Sorry if i have posted in the wrong section then. Thanks very much for the link, will take a look. Over 35 changes things but deadlifting and all sorts, Yoga 1-2 a week and feeling good.. if alot older than most in the gym heh.

To us all as you know, just keep moving

Communities

When it comes to keywords, and particularly long tail, sometimes it can be really hard to identify those "seed keywords" to mine for opportunities. In times where I feel like I'm striking out with the keyword research, I like to go where the users are. FB groups, subreddits, or in this case AARP forums (LOL jk). #GettinTooOldForThis

In all seriousness though, find active communities and try to pinpoint users that are closer to your target demographic. If you start to find a few "nexus" points where they are, just watch and listen for awhile. What issues are they bringing up frequently? More importantly, how are they talking about those issues?

The most important thing is finding highly active communities. They might even be communities that aren't directly related to fitness, but might have frequent posts/threads about it.

Competitors

Another option might be analyzing existing competitors in the space. SEMRush works awesome for this. In that platform, very quickly you can:
  • Punch in a competitor domain
  • Look at its indexed pages
  • Search it for relevant words
  • Find pages with many words + rankings
The idea being, find what's already working well for someone and identify seed keywords to drill down into with your keyword research. Sometimes it might be peripheral subjects you hadn't even considered.

Stuff like "fast meals for busy schedules".
  • White collar, middle-aged professionals usually have lots of meetings.
  • They're also interested in healthy choices to fit their hectic schedules.
  • They might click on products & services that save time & make better choices.

I'm making that up, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Thanks very much indeed turbin, in the UK so had to Google AARP lol actually looked a good site? in the UK so many eardely people get scammed by even the most ridiculous things, same some articles on there.

Fitness wise, indeed as with the other replied I truly appreciate it without wanting to sound like a broken record. Love your bullet points.. i have collated all the replies here into a plan and blown away by everything yourself and the others have provided.

Just beyond thankyou from this over 40 Brit! :D

Rob

For keyword research, I would grab a Men’s Health magazine (or the latest issue of a local men’s health and fitness magazine) and review it. The authors and editors at the major publications have already done the work for you.

If you’re in the U.S. that type of subscription will set you back $10-$20/year.

People who are 40+ have money, homes, kids, jobs, injuries, and no time.

Figure out the largest/most common concerns for people -- @turbin3's method is great -- in that group and attack that KW theme.

iyXQoPn.png

Just by typing "40 years old fitness" in google's search form I get those. You can base your SEO effort using Ahrefs or Serpwoo.

Back