How To Price Domains

Degree
Hey all,

After stepping away from digital marketing for a while, I'm back with a theoretical question I was hoping someone could help me with...

As part of some analysis work we've been doing we've had to scrape a website (with permission) and in the process of building the scraper I noticed they had an awful lot of broken links to dead websites. The site is a monster and a true authority having been around pretty much since the dawn of the internet.

My question is, if we could log all the broken links that are pointing to expired domains and check their backlink profile for other authority sites linking to them, is there a formula to price these? Or does anyone know any brokers who 'buy' good domains to resell?

We've decided any money made will be split between the company charity and putting behind the bar for the data team Christmas party.

@Lloops, I used to buy expiring but juicy domains constantly. Pricing is more of an art that you get the feel for rather than an equation you can plug variables into. You could certainly do that if you wanted, but at the end of the day it comes down to four or five things (depending on the buyer), I think:
  1. Is the domain brandable or nonsense?
  2. How high are the TF / CF / DR / DA sitewide metrics?
  3. How powerful and recognizable are the best referring domains?
  4. Is the person looking to buy based on building a site on it or building a PBN shitter?
  5. And if it's the prior, how rare of a winner is it in the desired niche?
  6. Did the domain expire all the way and drop out of the index? (Expired & Dropped vs. Expiring & Indexed)
Those are the kind of things that influence the price on the user-end. I would recommend you, as the seller, to start watching the auctions on GoDaddy Auctions and pricing any where else you can find it, until you get a feel for it.

Another way to bypass all of that is to simply register them and slap them into the auction house yourself and let the market tell you what they're worth.

Back