How to Get Organized (For Beginners)

lyannastark

Valar Morghulis
Boot Camp
Degree
Hey everyone! A couple weeks ago, at the start of the semester I realized that I needed to get organized. Not physically in the sense of cleaning, but mentally in terms of getting all my shit done and achieving my goals. I just want to share my method with BuSo. This whole thing may not be anything new for some of you, but it may help someone like me who was feeling a bit lost at one point.

Step One
I got a Notebook. I tried doing this on my laptop, but it didn't work. I tried doing this on my phone and it didn't work. I don't know why, but there is just something about writing stuff down on paper that feels satisfying.

Step Two
I decided on my long term goals. For my sake, my long term goals aren't THAT long term, but I consider the end of the semester to be a long term goal. I try to keep things as simple as possible by not going too far in the future like 5 years. So the first thing I wrote is: Goals For the End of the Semester. For example:
1) Lose 20lbs.
2) Get an 'A' Grade in all my courses.
3) Save 150K (In my currency that's about 1300USD)
4) Get my Driver's License.

This isn't everything on my list, but you get the drift. It has to be a specific goal.

Step Three
I then wrote out everything I needed to do in order to achieve these things by the end of the semester (May)
For example:
1) Exercise Consistently 5 days per week. Maintain a healthy diet.
2) Study Consistently and Attend all classes.
3) Save X amount of dollars per month/week.
4) Practice Driving/Do lessons.

Step Four
I then write out my goals for the month. Exactly like the Goals Threads on here. Except I have a lot of more personal things on it like my hair routine etc (haha). But anything you want to achieve for the month goes here. Anything that will make you a better person. I also repeat some things on the list. But this time, you organize by priority.

1) Stay on Top of Courses- Attend Classed Everyday. Study Everyday.
2) Work on Traffic Leaking- Details in my CC9 Thread.
3) Lose at least 5lbs.
4) Get rid of all fixed expenses that need to be covered. (Debt etc)
5) Schedule Driving Lessons.

Step Five

Then, I write out my goals for the week. What Do I want to get done this week. I reference my month's goals and work from there. Also, scheduled appointments/obligations go in here. These are less goals, and more what you need to get done. This includes things that life throws at you that's not necessarily a goal; for example, getting your car serviced, or shopping for an occasion. These things are important to schedule because, if you are like me, when little things "pop up" it's easy to get derailed. I also draw a little checkbox beside each thing. I include a little motivational blurb beside things I don't really want to do. For example:

1) Study! Yes it's hard but must be done.
2) Attend the Gym 5 days dammit.
3) Go to bed and get up on time.
4) Prepare meals myself (Non- fast food if unavoidable.)

Sometimes I even write a little mini paragraph just to remind myself why I need to do these things.

Step Six
Now, comes the magic. This is where you separate the boys from the men. The planning of your day. You have all the goals you need to achieve for the week written down. When I say plan your day, I mean REALLY plan your day. Down to the minute. I don't do this EVERY day, but I do it for most days. When I've achieved most of what I want to do, I'll give myself some leeway and not "schedule" anything and just "go with the flow", but this is the exception and not the rule. This is where you don't give yourself any excuses. A Sample Day of mine:

0500-- Wake Up.
0515-- Eat Breakfast and Put on Gym Clothes.
0600-- Leave for the gym.
0800-- Shower and Leave Gym.
0900-- Recap For PSYCH class.
1000-- PSYCH CLASS (SR10)
1200-- Go to the Bank.
1400-- Head to Battalion Training
1700-- Leave Battalion Training
1800-- Int'l MKTG Class (I usually get something to eat during class, multitask)
2100--Leave Int'l MKTG Class
2115-- Start Working on Presentation for ENTREP Class
2200--Work on TrafficLeaking Schedule Spreadsheet
2300-- Recreational Online Time (BuSo, Reading techniques etc)
000- Prepare For Bed.

What I essentially did there was remove my margin of "can't be bothered" . I didn't give myself the chance to make any decisions. It was all decided the night before. Needless to say, I got everything I wanted to be done, done on that day. If something happens and you get thrown off, don't worry that's what the monthly goals are for. I came down with a horrible flu last week and I didn't get anything done, but I recalibrated and referenced my goals I had written down.

Also, notice in my schedule I plan for transportation time for example I gave myself a half hour to get to the gym. (Always assume heavy traffic) Being ahead of schedule is a bonus and means you can squeeze more time into doing other things. Also, anything depending on 3rd parties for your time, give yourself extra leeway. For example I gave myself 2 hours to deal with banking. I finished in about an hour but that meant I had an extra hour to spare that afternoon. I always carry my Mac with me, so I simply used the time to start working on my presentation I had.

If you plan your time properly you'll find that it's a lot easier to get things done. Today, for example is a "leeway day", in that my schedule is a lot looser today than it is on some days. So I'm using today to do laundry, cook etc. And write long BuSo posts haha. For those of you with SO's and kids etc, make sure you schedule time for them too! I don't have any friends, so I have no problems there. -_- . Kidding, you're going to have to schedule them in, or explain to your friends that you don't have time for them. The main thing is to make sure that all your goals are covered and you don't have room to do "whatever". Schedule in the repetitive tasks it takes to achieve your goals.

I think we all know, that consistency is what creates results. And that consistency is hard to maintain without instant gratification. If you're anything like me, you should know that it's important to schedule anything. Because if I say, 5PM is gym time today, when 5 o clock comes around I won't be watching a movie, or on the phone with a friend. Cause it's gym time.

Oh! and another thing, when you do it like this, it makes you realize how much time you really have, so you can be realistic. For example on that day, I originally planned to wake up at 7. But by writing it all down I realized that there's no way I could get all that done if I woke up at 7. So I had to adjust to 5. Being realistic about what you can achieve in a day will help you from becoming demotivated. You now need to stick to writing the schedule each night before the start of your day. And then at the end of the week. You'll then see how much you're REALLY getting done.

This is pretty much what's been working for me so far, and I decided to share it! Thanks for Reading.

A big thing that made my to-do lists infinitely more effective was to be really specific.

"Launch site" is a lot harder to look at and instantly know what needs to be done than...
  • Install wordpress,
  • Create social media accounts,
  • Keyword research...
and even those can be broken down further...
  • Choose webhost,
  • Choose theme,
  • Register Facebook,
  • Register Pinterest,
  • Register Twitter,
  • Register G+,
  • Brainstorm content categories / audience,
  • Put seed KWs into TE, LTP, SW...
Putting the least amount of resistance between what needs to be done and actually doing it = win.

Also feels good to check things off more frequently.

Reading this post we seem to have a few things in common.

I tried to use evernote to schedule some stuff and that didnt work at all. I find if write everything down i need to do for the next day in as much detail as possible I get the most things done within that next day

The way @MetaData breaks things down like the above is exactly how I start projects of my own, especially when I'm working for a client. I use project management (my preference is Redmine) for both client projects and my own. That way, I'm able to set up a series of "milestones" that can be referenced at a glance.

My clients and I are able to see exactly what is going on at any point, which eliminates many of the "are we there yet?" emails, and the "let's have a meeting to schedule a meeting" thing, which is too much like the corporate bureaucracy I walked away from back in 2007.

We've all had clients where "everything is a crisis/emergency" and has to be done TODAY or it's like "stop all the world now". Project management helps my clients and even myself realize "when everything is important, nothing is". Also, there is no question of what is taking the most time, what is being worked on and when to expect deliverables. And yes, each time I check off an item on the list, I know I'm closer to the goal. There's something to be said for that feeling in itself.

Again, I like to use Redmine (http://www.redmine.org/) because it's open source and free. It also allows me to monitor a central git repo (I almost always run my own with gitolite) so I can see changes to source code and also limit who can/can't view the source code. If you're not really into the coding aspect of it so much, you don't have to use that part.

A really nice paid alternative is Basecamp (https://basecamp.com/) but it doesn't really have the features I need as a coder, last time I looked. I remember chatting with some of those guys years ago, back when DHH (David Heinemeier Hansson, creator of Rails) was on IRC frequently. They have a great project and are very passionate about it. If you want to go the paid route, Basecamp is what I would recommend.

No matter which project management system you pick, you will almost immediately become a better planner/organizer and most importantly, manager. I'd like to know who else here uses a project management system and how it helps them organize everything from the NOW to the THEN.

@eliquid awesome blog posts. Just got through reading them. It's very similar to what I have laid out here, just a lot more detailed. Thanks for sharing them!

@lyannastark - Great stuff. Getting it down on paper is a solid and rewarding process.
@eliquid - Outstanding posts. Oh, feel your pain. Have had some vary similar moments that took some serious hunkering down. Ran the table in the early dotcom days and then got stagnant for a bit, lost the fire. Many different issues, but assuredly the same emotional hole. Leaning upon yourself ultimately is the only way to climb out, it sucks waiting for someone else- when that was learned and applied, better results ensued.

"Dig within. Within is the wellspring of Good; and it is always ready to bubble up, if you just dig."
Marcus Aurelius Meditations. 167 AD

A big thing that made my to-do lists infinitely more effective was to be really specific.

"Launch site" is a lot harder to look at and instantly know what needs to be done than...
  • Install wordpress,
  • Create social media accounts,
  • Keyword research...
and even those can be broken down further...
  • Choose webhost,
  • Choose theme,
  • Register Facebook,
  • Register Pinterest,
  • Register Twitter,
  • Register G+,
  • Brainstorm content categories / audience,
  • Put seed KWs into TE, LTP, SW...
Putting the least amount of resistance between what needs to be done and actually doing it = win.

Also feels good to check things off more frequently.

This is why I love using Trello, you can set-up cards with specific checklists in each, each card can belong to a boards and you can drag them around in Kanban style.

Back