How much to charge for sponsored articles?

Degree
Hi everyone,

I've received a good number of offers for sponsored articles on my blog. However, I've never gone through with it because I have no idea how much to charge and I'm also concerned about duplicate content.
So, I have some questions for you :smile:

1. Is there any calculation that goes into figuring out the proper amount to charge? Perhaps involving traffic numbers?
  2. Does social media matter? I have a good following on Twitter and Pinterest, would that drive up the cost?
  3. What about PageRank and Domain Authority? Are they relevant at all?
  4. Some have offered to write the article themselves, I'd charge less for this, right?
I'd like to have a steady flow of sponsored articles, perhaps once every 2 months would be okay. If I can figure out how much my time is worth here, that'd be great! Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I would have a look at other link building service providers that offer guest posts and other such things. Have a look at their pricing and metrics in order to get an idea of what you could potentially charge and use something that you feel comfortable with.

I agree. 95% of the people approaching you are looking to buy a link. I'd price it accordingly.

Among the 5% that are looking for exposure instead of link juice, I'd do the same. Find out how many impressions you'll get on the article on the site and across social media and price it by CPM (cost per mille, aka cost per 1000 views).

We wary of anyone just after a link, because the last thing you want is someone getting a link on your site and then deciding to 'power it up' with a GSA spam run or similar. People looking for exposure to your site audience a far less likely to do this, but it pays to mention this upfront - eg if we detect unnatural links to your guest post, it will be deleted without refund

i have access to 6k+ unique domains/ips ect, just from over time building relationships, my clients get told they either do our recommended natural t2 package or nothing to the page. they are warned if any bs blasts go out for t2 thier shit will be deleted and no refund will be provided. thats how we cleaned up that shit in a hurry. our partners dont want thier shit spam blasted....

I would have a look at other link building service providers that offer guest posts and other such things. Have a look at their pricing and metrics in order to get an idea of what you could potentially charge and use something that you feel comfortable with.

I'll have a look around to see what I can find. :smile:

I agree. 95% of the people approaching you are looking to buy a link. I'd price it accordingly.

Among the 5% that are looking for exposure instead of link juice, I'd do the same. Find out how many impressions you'll get on the article on the site and across social media and price it by CPM (cost per mille, aka cost per 1000 views).

You're right, some of them have wanted just a link in an existing article. Should I use the same CPM that I get from ads?

We wary of anyone just after a link, because the last thing you want is someone getting a link on your site and then deciding to 'power it up' with a GSA spam run or similar. People looking for exposure to your site audience a far less likely to do this, but it pays to mention this upfront - eg if we detect unnatural links to your guest post, it will be deleted without refund

Hmm, after reading this perhaps I should not sell links at all. Only articles.

i have access to 6k+ unique domains/ips ect, just from over time building relationships, my clients get told they either do our recommended natural t2 package or nothing to the page. they are warned if any bs blasts go out for t2 thier shit will be deleted and no refund will be provided. thats how we cleaned up that shit in a hurry. our partners dont want thier shit spam blasted....

Got it, no spammy link building.

Thanks for the replies!

I have a similar question.

A site I've been building for a while that gets about 8k-10k visits/day (DA:46). I am looking to expand to sponsored posts, but I'm not sure what kind of pricing I should do. I've mostly just being doing WH building with little SEO.

@Stoic and anyone else with similar traffic numbers that needs an idea of what to charge and isn't confident about calculating the value, just use this:
  • $150 if they bring the article (non-commercial, no sales copy)
  • $200 if you have to produce the content (outsource it)
  • I have to see your or your client's site to pre-approve first
Write it in a copy/paste text file so you can shoot it off quickly. You'll shut down the 80% that are SEOs wanting freebies, you'll run off the 5% of low quality buyers who can't afford it, you'll not approve 5% that have spammy sites and backlink profiles, and the last 5% will hopefully be high quality brands. This way you'll dodge linking out to spammy sites.

Of course, if your own site is spammy or isn't that powerful or you're sick of working on it and it's not earning the money you wanted, adjust those numbers and bait proposals with a .com/guest-posts-sponsored-posts/ page that you let get indexed and sell em off like a mad man till you burn the site. The buyers will know what's up so it's not dishonest.

Back