How loosely can you choose your sub-niches?

Michael

BuSo Pro
Degree
Is it important to stick with a theme of niches to target within a vertical?

EG:
The technology vertical and talking about: Drones, Laptops, Car accessories

They all fall under technology, but they aren't really related in any way.

To me this doesn't seem like a good idea because your audience would be so diverse and likely hard to satisfy so many different needs?

Also, when just starting out and only targeting one sub-niche, would only having say two navigational links: Home | Laptops deter users off your site?

The larger, more authoritative your site is, the easier it is to pull off.

A small, new site would be best served starting more specific and branching out as it grows.

Just build the site structure with the end in mind.

It'd be easy to pull off later. I mean, you can do it NOW. It's all in how you frame it. Present it in a way that makes sense for your viewers and they won't bat an eye.

If I landed on a site called "Manly Tech Toys .com" and it had those three categories it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

It depends on how you want to approach it and how tightly knit you want it to start. You could quickly blend it all together like...

Drones... here are the ones we like with certain cameras. We also talk about webcams for your laptop. Speaking of laptops, have you seen our laptop mounts for in the car? What about our security cameras for your car? Like drones, we also love RC racecars and other remote control toys.​

It wouldn't take much to bridge it all together. Now you're prepped for a Camera and Photography section too, etc.

The user isn't going to care. They aren't invested at all. Most will land on a single page and bail. Just make it make some amount of sense and it'll be just fine. Google isn't weighing this so heavily that it's going to hurt or help you. If you want to be the Drone King then stay tight. If you want to be the Tech King then you'll have to spread your wings and fly at some point anyways.

Google isn't weighing this so heavily that it's going to hurt or help you. If you want to be the Drone King then stay tight. If you want to be the Tech King then you'll have to spread your wings and fly at some point anyways.
Your explanations are boss, love it. Thanks a lot, things are much more clear now!

I think you were on the right track in your first post. You can certainly pull off a site that is broad, I just think it makes everything more difficult unless you have a lot of resources. You could easily build a giant site about just drones (without worrying about a really limited ceiling), and understanding the audience, crafting content, hiring writers, etc will all be easier than a giant tech site. Either way I would focus on building out individual silos or categories one at a time.

What kind of marketing were you planning on doing, SEO? .

Well like you said: Either way I would focus on building out individual silos or categories one at a time.
^ That is exactly what I will be doing. I have two major silos planned so far. I will be incrementally producing content for each sub silo with hopes of eventually covering that entire main theme.

SEO for now, yes. I haven't prepared and other traffic sources yet.

Back