How I've made returns upwards of 250000% selling digital assets

Degree
What's going on fellas?!

Some of you may recognize me from WF or Skype chats, I've been on the IM scene since 2008 and have been a web addict since 98' which is when I got my first Packard Bell computer. I was involved on IRC and AOL where I enjoyed learning new hacks, traded digital assets such as screen names, warez, and user data.
Those days were always a thrill. Just listening to the dial-up connection felt like I was being transported to another dimension. Very euphoric for a kid who was amazed by the web.

Fast forward to 2015, I'm now an experienced online marketer and investor in digital real estate. I run a digital marketing agency and ventures company that is involved in several start-ups. Went to college as it has always been a goal of mine and earned a B.S. in Management and a B.S. in Marketing.

Now on to the real reason I'm making this post, ROI.

Over the years, I've been investing in digital real estate such as domain names and revenue generating sites with very high returns. In 2010, I was consistently finding gems at expired domain auctions which I would easily sell in the $1000-$3000 range. This was even more so back in 2010 where EMD's were very effective for SEO purposes.

CASE STUDY
I find a domain name that I buy for <$20 in the .NET extension and proceed to do some research on prospects. By this time, I already know what these prospects are paying for on Adwords for similar keywords, so I feel confident it's an easy pitch.

After maybe an hour or so of going through a list of prospects on paid and organic results, I come across this site that looks like it hasn't been updated since 1995.

I tend to skip these as I assume they just don't really care about their online presence, but something told me to just email the guy. To my surprise, he responds with a "how much?". I reply with price and we continue to negotiate the deal over e-mail and until he accepts for $1500.

Buyer mails check and I immediately start researching for other gems in this same niche. I find about 20 domains that are perfect for this client and proceed to register them. I pitch them to the client with a "portfolio deal" and he takes about a week or two to think about it, although he's shown interest from the get-go.

At the time, I had a Vegas trip and had just landed at my connection flight in Dulles International Airport (I think) and get an email stating he will purchase the entire portfolio for roughly $25,000.
This was my biggest sale thus far in terms of total profit, so I was definitely excited. Client mailed out another check and transfer is made.

CASE STUDY 2
I approached a prospect for a domain name I registered for under $20 again and they showed interest. After a day or so, they agree to purchase for $1000. A few days later, I approached them with other niche relevant domain names (similar to previous strategy) and they showed interest.
Sold about 10 domains for roughly $5,000 after negotiations.

I had just started providing web development and SEO services to clients so I kindly let this buyer know that we could assist them (cross-selling) building these properties and optimizing them for search. They took the bait and were hooked. We built out their sites and ranked them at very competitive rates.

Once they saw what we did for their satellite sites, they were interested in hiring us for their main site. We landed a $40k/year contract for SEO as well as sold other digital assets to them throughout.

So for this client, my initial <$20 investment turned into roughly $50,000 in less than 60 days.
----
To this day, I continue to invest in digital assets and generate revenue via this avenue.

I read several posts on here that have inspired me in some way, shape, or form and I wanted to give back by sharing some of my own experiences in the online world.

Note: if we focus on domain/site only revenue, ROI would be in the 10000% range.

Last edited:
You dirty, domainer, you :evil:

That's killer. Outreach, pitching, making connections, knowing the background of your potential client... you've got it in the bag.

Do you build out your own sites as well? How are you performing in that area?

You dirty, domainer, you :evil:

That's killer. Outreach, pitching, making connections, knowing the background of your potential client... you've got it in the bag.

Do you build out your own sites as well? How are you performing in that area?
Yes, I build out my own sites as well. My oldest e-commerce site has been around for 5 years and we are in the process of re-branding. Started out as an affiliate and generated about $40k for partners in a month or so which led me to cut them out and purchase inventory.

Will post about that and other sites at a later time, hopefully.

Back