How great leaders inspire action

KbPeYev.gif

Fuck this is amazing actually, thank god CCarter bumped it

I actually bought his book because of this, and have his next book scheduled to come out in a few weeks on pre-order

thanks

There's 4 steps similar to this that I use when I'm writing copy -- the who, why, how, and what.

If you know who you're talking to and why you're talking to them, the rest falls into place.

Last edited:
This goes right back to the fundamental mistake most people make (even pro's) in copywriting...

Don't focus on features, focus on benefits. This shifts the focus off of you and your product and onto the consumer. It creates a culture instead of being you hawking off your nonsense. People barely buy based on technical details, and most of the time they want to ignore that, even in computers and similar niches. They buy based on how you make them feel and how simple you can make it all for them.

A prime example is how, in the past 5 years or so, we've seen the terms ROM and RAM become Storage and Memory, etc. Most huge companies have this figured out these days. Watch a car commercial and see what they really focus on, despite some of the verbiage.

Dude, too much truth. It's why hype and making people believe they can make $10,000 a day in 2 hours a month actually sells, and why so many people end up getting scammed in the IM / MMO / Biz Opp space.

For your auto example, 200 whp, convertible top, Brembo brakes, and 18" wheels don't sell nearly as well as "Feel the rush of power with the wind in your hair, the protection of industry-leading brakes that racecar drivers trust to stop their $2million machines, and wheels that make your car stand out in a crowd of "me too" sedans.".

There was a commercial for the Acura NSX that got banned because it "inspired driving like a racecar driver" and it didn't have a single word of copy in it. It got their prospects to feel what it would feel like to drive the car, though, and that made a bigger impact than any amount of clever copy could have. Copy would have actually taken away from what they achieved with the commercial.

Last edited:
I'm not big into cars but that was a badass commercial, ahha. Very cool.

As for Simon Sinek, I'm on the fence about him. I LOVE that video posted in the OP, but equally LOATHE a video of him that was floating around on Facebook. In the FB video he starts off great, but then it suddenly turns into him pandering to the audience of Millennials who all then basically jerk themselves off.

If that FB video was an act of marketing, it was brilliant. But overall I hate that he perpetuated the idea that the audience was not at fault for their current conditions and that it's up to others to fix it for them. Bleh.

Last edited:
Back