How do you find keywords with zero competition?

Degree
Alright so I used to keyword search and a few months ago I found a keyword that only had like 1 article ranking and this got me the most traffic on the blog for the month. On google keyword planner it says it has "—" traffic. Another keyword that ranks but not as good says "10-100" on keyword planner. Also, the other day I found many good keywords with very low comp but they still had 1 or 2 articles on the serp.

My question is how do you find keywords which NO ONE has written on? Is there a systematic way of finding these rather than just sorta knowing the niche inside out and coming up with your own keywords just from your head?

The KGR from Fiverr packs that you can buy are not the same as this btw.

Just yesterday I realized while looking for a best X for Y. I looked at the product and then I typed in that product review and it seemed to have low competition and then I saw that there was a keyword regarding 10 Best [Company of the product] Products. So, you can discuss the best products that a specific company has.

Also, I just thought of a random keyword yesterday, there are 2 articles on Google about it, however, it was not on Google Autocomplete, it seemed not very common and seemed rare. Should I still write about this keyword? Would it be worth it?

Cause here's the thing I also realized, of course, articles need time to rank but, this one site, they targetted keywords which were highly competitive in a sense since there were established websites on the serps but, this person found weird combinations of putting the phrase and is ranking for them. Should I go for these more competitive keywords rather than the one which says 0 search and it seems like a rare thing to search but I know there's few people searching it. (This is the same site that seemed to be spamming the keyword in their article in my opinion, it wasn't VERY blatant if you ctrl+f their long keyword.)

I like to target the 2 word stem keywords. The 3 word plus ones have a way of working themselves out.
Also look at auto complete and google related queries. If google is watering the keyword with their internal stuff there is volume for it.
If the keywords descriptive and the type to jump out of a list sometimes you can get google to start watering it and triple the volume over night.
Keyword planner seems to just get less and less accurate every year.

My question is how do you find keywords which NO ONE has written on? Is there a systematic way of finding these rather than just sorta knowing the niche inside out and coming up with your own keywords just from your head?
You don't need to find keywords which no one has targeted- you need to find keywords that are low competition. Meaning, the articles ranking are low-quality or irrelevant and/or from user-generated websites (Quora, Reddit, forums).

You can take things a step further and evaluate the strength of the links pointed to the ranking pages as well but it doesn't sound like you're at a point where you need to get this in-depth yet.

Also, I just thought of a random keyword yesterday, there are 2 articles on Google about it, however, it was not on Google Autocomplete, it seemed not very common and seemed rare. Should I still write about this keyword? Would it be worth it?
Probably not. Anyone can rank for "what color of shirt should I wear when it's raining in the summer on a Tuesday" but are people likely to search for a phrase like this on Google? No. With this said, it could be worth plugging the keyword into Google Trends to see if there's data- you never know.

I use "SeoStack Keyword Tool", it's free and just searches for autocompletes or modifiers like "Why". Never failed to find stuff there.

If you can spend money, there are some easy way to find low competition keywords:

1. Get Ahrefs/Semrush. Then find all forums in your niche and put them in ahrefs. If a forum can rank for it, so can you, most probably.

2. Put Reddit or Quora into ahrefs, filter the rankings by your main keyword. See what ranks.

3. Scrape autosuggest and/or use a keyword tool to get a big list of keywords. Put them into Keywordchef. It automatically checks every keyword's rankings and tells you if forums or social sites ranks for it in the top 10. Its expensive though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can spend money, there are some easy way to find low competition keywords:

1. Get Ahrefs/Semrush. Then find all forums in your niche and put them in ahrefs. If a forum can rank for it, so can you, most probably.

2. Put Reddit or Quora into ahrefs, filter the rankings by your main keyword. See what ranks.

3. Scrape autosuggest and/or use a keyword tool to get a big list of keywords. Put them into Keywordchef. It automatically checks every keyword's rankings and tells you if forums or social sites ranks for it in the top 10. Its expensive though.
What are your thoughts on video sites (YouTube, Vimeo, etc), and Press release website rankings?

Do you really want to do that? If something is worth writing about, it has likely been searched before. Unless you're starting a new brand and have a new product name (and you'll rank for those easily), do you really think you can "outsmart" other SEOs and users? If there's nothing written about a specific keyword, it's probably so long-tail that the MSV is likely N/A.

Should I go for these more competitive keywords rather than the one which says 0 search and it seems like a rare thing to search but I know there's few people searching it. (This is the same site that seemed to be spamming the keyword in their article in my opinion, it wasn't VERY blatant if you ctrl+f their long keyword.)
If you're starting a new site, target keywords in the 0-10 and 20 MSV range. Once you can rank 10 of those (it's easy if your content is good), and you're getting 100-200 monthly visitors, you can begin targeting keywords with higher MSV.

There's a brilliant thread about this that goes into much more detail than I will here, but it's a great place to start.

With that out of the way, my favorite way to find keywords is to find the fat-head, 2 or 3 word keywords and plug them into the SEMRush Keyword Magic tool. Then switch to Broad Match and turn on the "Questions" filter. You can rank long-tail questions with 0-20 MSV easy peasy

Do you really want to do that? If something is worth writing about, it has likely been searched before. Unless you're starting a new brand and have a new product name (and you'll rank for those easily), do you really think you can "outsmart" other SEOs and users? If there's nothing written about a specific keyword, it's probably so long-tail that the MSV is likely N/A.

If you're starting a new site, target keywords in the 0-10 and 20 MSV range. Once you can rank 10 of those (it's easy if your content is good), and you're getting 100-200 monthly visitors, you can begin targeting keywords with higher MSV.

There's a brilliant thread about this that goes into much more detail than I will here, but it's a great place to start.

With that out of the way, my favorite way to find keywords is to find the fat-head, 2 or 3 word keywords and plug them into the SEMRush Keyword Magic tool. Then switch to Broad Match and turn on the "Questions" filter. You can rank long-tail questions with 0-20 MSV easy peasy
Yes you do, if the keyword makes sense then you should write about it. Few people I know they write about keywords that have never been written on, even passive income geek recommends it, think about it, if you know ur niche inside and out, google will love it if you write about that subject it shows expertise to even think about it, let alone write about it. Also, some people add specific variations to medium competition keyword and this is how they are able to rank for higher traffic volume keywords.

I also want to ask you about this:
"In the past 7 days I've had 125 organic visitors, past 30 days 422. Yesterday was our biggest day so far with 30 visitors. Now that I'm getting traffic, I'm seeing us move up in ranks for higher MSV keywords."

how many articles to get that?

Back