How do these companies hire dumb people and make millions?

Agency business is weird as fuck.

We do bespoke software development at my 9-5, but it still feels like agency business at times.

Whew, this thread is what I went through to finally make me serious about my online business(es) and take a leap of faith. Not an agency, but inhouse.

I had a digital marketing manager as my boss that not only couldn't walk the walk but couldn't talk the talk either. Just a gross level of incompetence that I had to listen to spew a jambalaya of marketing terms to people that didn't know what the fuck she was saying. A salaried employee that's day to day activity was operating Facebook live videos and creating banner ads. Agreeing to overpriced SEO fees when, as mentioned previously earlier, 89% of our organic traffic was branded. Paying $150 an article for 700 words of generic riff-raff.

But the problem is these people that "don't do" marketing, let alone digital marketing, hear the same few phrases and think that's the move to make.

But fuck me, I'm only hourly. Why would we want to upgrade our CRM and set up multiple automated email messages that will bring back older customers when we can spend $1200 on a rebranded SEMRush audit where they aren't even going to make the changes, we have to.

Or my favorite, they're spending a few thousand on display ads a month, getting good traffic. Where does that traffic go? To a landing page that looks like absolute shit. No wonder those visitors have an average time on site of 7 seconds. I say why not send them to a landing page where they enter their email address first like literally every one of our competitors. "No, that doesn't work for us."

ok.jpg

Back