How do I get small businesses without affiliate programs to set one up so I can promote them?

RBT

Degree
So I started a second websites last year just to mix things up a bit. Its in a hobby niche, and it has grown tremendously. Mostly monetized through Amazon.

I am coming across some really good but small manufacturers in my niche who dont sell via Amazon. What is the best way to monetize with them?

1. I can ask them to join an affiliate network like Rakuten, Awin, Impact whatever. The problem with the popular ones is that my competitors or just generic websites will also jump in and it will just increase my competition!! Maybe I can ask them to setup a bespoke one using something like Post Affiliate Pro? The problem is some of these guys may not even want to set that up.

2. I can just take a fixed monthly payment. Perhaps even variable payments based on clicks. Probably the easiest to setup but its hard to capture value for both parties.

3. Any other ideas?

Another angle: rather than setting up a bunch of affiliate programs with these smaller manufacturers, which can be a pain to manage, why not pitch them all a direct advertisement program on your website? Get the guaranteed fixed ad revenue on a 3/6/12 month recurring basis. You'd only need 1-2 to say yes.

Edit: I guess this can / should be done in addition to pursuing the affiliate programs with them.

One thing I can assure you is they've heard of the "Internet" before you. So if they are still not on it, you telling them to do a bunch of shit like sign up for this and that - is not going to work.

Remember people are lazy.

YOU have to come in with a gameplan for them. YOU have to execute the gameplan, and YOU have to control the operation. Because if they do sign up for some affiliate network, how do you know they'll be able to put all the pieces together and get you paid?

Asking people to jump through hoops because you see the opportunities doesn't work.

There is also nothing stopping you from partnering up with them and creating their online arm for a percentage of online sales. That way they keep doing their routine and you control the A-Z of their online operation and have them dependent on you.

If YOU see the opportunity, don't expect others to execute upon that opportunity as you sit back. Take action and take control.

Pick up the phone and talk to them about why they aren't online yet, you'll be surprise, they may need some help and now you've stumbled onto a multi-million dollar opportunity, it's literally what Alibaba and AliExpress have done - taken people from the street corner of selling to the world globe. They've made a nice profit along the way.

I am coming across some really good but small manufacturers in my niche
In addition to the above opinions, you could consider becoming the best of the really good but small manufacturers. It's a bigger headache, but you'll get bigger margins, then you yourself can start taking on affiliates and let them do the work for you.

By the way, if they're small, they probably can't afford to hop into Commission Junction, Impact, Shareasale, etc. It's not free to join.

But if you like the niche or see enough money flowing and control a segment of the traffic, you might as well cut everyone else out and become the manufacturer, supplier, affiliate program, etc. If you don't like the niche, you could do it anyways and just divest yourself of it ASAP for a fat wad of cash.

Back