How Do Content Marketers Collect Data?

stackcash

I Sell Words
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
We all know that content is becoming increasingly more important. More important than the content is the timeliness, correctness, and relevance of what is being disseminated. I'd like to know how all of you are collecting your data for your infographics, data-focused articles, graphs/charts, etc.

If we're a forward-thinking bunch, having a good data collection skill set is going to be extremely valuable. So....how are you going about collecting your data?

I think @stackcash wants to know where to get find content for the infographics, not how to track the visitors.

I'm not quite sure. I guess most of the data is from Wikipedia, research papers (.edu search engines might help you with that) and probably some official offices like bureau of statistics. Why not find infographics in your niche and check the footer for the sources? That might help you out.

Sorry I didn't understand your post!

Mostly they collect data through searching from credible sources like universities websites, scientific websites, thesis and case studies archives, gov's public data...

Last edited:
yeah that's basically it. Official, real world, trust worthy organizations. Colleges, gov't data, scientific resources, a lot of google scholar, etc. I approach it the same way I would if I were writing a paper for university. Unless I'm writing about about data that I have readily available to me, in which case I am my own primary source.

Good stuff guys. WordAgents is wellllll aware of Google Scholar and Government Data sites. We haven't used college/university sites too much, but I'm willing to bet big name universities have databases of research papers that could be accessed somehow.

Does anyone have experience with creating their own market research surveys? Any tips on tools for that kind of stuff and how to get the right kind of traffic to the survey?

I think @stackcash wants to know where to get find content for the infographics, not how to track the visitors.

I'm not quite sure. I guess most of the data is from Wikipedia, research papers (.edu search engines might help you with that) and probably some official offices like bureau of statistics. Why not find infographics in your niche and check the footer for the sources? That might help you out.

yeah that's basically it. Official, real world, trust worthy organizations. Colleges, gov't data, scientific resources, a lot of google scholar, etc. I approach it the same way I would if I were writing a paper for university. Unless I'm writing about about data that I have readily available to me, in which case I am my own primary source.

Good & important discussion to have, the obvious elephant in the room is that most content marketers don't give a shit where they get their info from and they're just putting out spun / rewritten garbage that their VA pulled from whatever site's ranking in the top 3 because they can't be bothered to find an actual source.

It's always nice to see a discussion on "quality content" that goes beyond "make it readable" lol, gotta love how "readable" is the bar that some people are aiming for as publishers.

For market research, you can use SurveyMonkey (paid) or Google Consumer surveys (paid). @stackcash

@MetaData - Exactly! I think most newbie content marketers that just need cash flow don't really care if the data is correct or not, because they just need some type of content to put out and start generating conversions. Once you have a little bit of a base to work with, you're going to want to start becoming a real iinfluencer in your niche. And, in that case, correct data is essential.

Good & important discussion to have, the obvious elephant in the room is that most content marketers don't give a shit where they get their info from and they're just putting out spun / rewritten garbage that their VA pulled from whatever site's ranking in the top 3 because they can't be bothered to find an actual source.

It's always nice to see a discussion on "quality content" that goes beyond "make it readable" lol, gotta love how "readable" is the bar that some people are aiming for as publishers.

Thanks @Kevin. At the risk of sounding ignorant, what's the best way to get traffic to these surveys? Just normal ole' traffic gen methods?

For market research, you can use SurveyMonkey (paid) or Google Consumer surveys (paid). @stackcash

We haven't used college/university sites too much, but I'm willing to bet big name universities have databases of research papers that could be accessed somehow.

They all use JSTOR and every student gets an account. Non-students have to pay. It's just a searchable database for research papers. Basically a search engine you pay to use.

Back