How can I turn a affiliate website into a content website?

Degree
Hello, I'm new here.

I want to turn an affiliate website (general review site with review kw in the name) into a content website. Is it possible?

The website isn't maintained well and established in 2016. Only 1 one article published in 2020. Other details are mentioned below.

I want to turn this website into a content + affiliate business model. Is it possible to revive or should I start a new website?

Established: 2016
Words: avg 1000 words
URL structure: site.com/2016/01/post-url/

Yes, of course. Just start adding info content articles. Not difficult.

Always have info content to supplement your affiliate content.

I'm not being sarcastic but I don't understand what you mean by "content site".

I've never of that. Are there sites that are "non-content" sites?

Be specific, because "content sites" sounds like some SEO guru came up with, without a proper definition. What are you are talk about?

@pradip, Obviously you can just start posting informational / non-buying intent content.

But I think you have other problems on your hands. Having the word "review" in the domain name isn't really a big deal since you're getting your traffic from Google. Nobody cares there, they just click the ranking results for the most part.

I think your biggest issue is your URL structure with the date in it. And I think you've got two options here:
  • Change your permalink structure in Wordpress and let it manage your 301 redirects. Maybe just use /slug/ without the date.
  • Change domains entirely, change the permalink structure on the new version of the site, and 301 redirect all of the old URLs to the new ones manually.
Of course you don't have to do this. But with review content, every single post is going to be a query that deserves freshness. And with the old dates in the URL, well... that's something that could really hurt not only your conversions with users but your ability to rank with Google (potentially, they may ignore the URL paths altogether and just look at the Published / Last Updated dates, which you need to be updating).

Change your permalink structure in Wordpress and let it manage your 301 redirects. Maybe just use /slug/ without the date.
I think I'll go with this option. As the site was established in 2016, I think it has some value for sticking that long. However, the site brought in 500 clicks last month according to the search console.

Is it possible to revive this site using the kitchen sink method?

Thank you @Ryuzaki for your time.
by "content site"
Informational content site. Want to know if the site can be transformed from being an amazon affiliate site to an informational site (ads+affiliate monetization).

Informational content site.

The DSCC has a day called "Monetization" (Day #9) that talks about each website type and how you are suppose to monetize each one.

There are basically 4 types of websites and each has pros and cons of different monetization methods. I go into great detail about each.

Thank you @Ryuzaki, @JamaicanMoose, and @CCarter for clearing my doubt. I'm gonna go and try the kitchen sink method for this site.

First, I'm going to change the permalinks structure with regex type redirection through the rank math plugin. (I have done this before for a blogger.com site migrated to wordpress.org)

The biggest improvement will be the content, as most of the pages are filled with 1000 words and lots of affiliate links. Sure it'd be a panda quality score issue.

I think it'd be better to go category-wise improvement to get the topical authority as soon as possible. (With proper internal linking)

Thanks, everyone for helping out me. Thanks to @Ryuzaki and will have to read your posts in my free time. :smile:

Back