How broad is too broad for a niche?

Degree
I've always heard from nearly everyone that 'riches are in the niches' and from experience that has been pretty true.

However - when I look at large broad niches like 'mattresses', or 'lawn mowers' there are 10's of thousands of very low competition decent volume (millions total) keywords out there. Ones like 'circle mattress', 'bamboo mattress', 'Alaskan king mattress', etc. Each of those gets thousands of searches.

I'm either overthinking this or massively underthinking it lol. Maybe 'mattresses' is a small enough niche?

So the question is - what is really stopping me from writing a large article (pillar) about mattresses and then having several clustered articles targeting each of these keywords?

If "riches are in the niches" it's because the users have a built-in hotness to them that converts more easily and also because there's less competition to gain exposure.

That's not to say there's not "insane wealth in the verticals". There's more there, of course. The pie is much larger, but can you even get a slice, let alone a seat at the table?

I can tell you that "mattresses" as a niche is cut throat. It's the kind of niche where lawsuits fly for no reason other than to try to waste your time, money, and intimidate you. You might be able to get traffic for worthless keywords to the big players that you can monetize with display ads and get nice RPMs, but otherwise, unless I was ready to really commit some time and money with a team, I wouldn't expect to compete in a meaningful way (in terms of product review types of queries with high ticket price items).

So the question is - what is really stopping me from writing a large article (pillar) about mattresses and then having several clustered articles targeting each of these keywords?
Nothing is stopping you. It doesn't mean you'll succeed in a meaningful way, but it doesn't mean you'll fail either. With a unique angle of attack where you can monetize what's otherwise useless traffic to the big players, you could probably sneak in there.

The question becomes whether or not that's the best use of your time and resources. I'm not trying to imply an answer here. But there's a math question to be had: How hard and how long do I want to fight for crumbs on the floor off the mattress pie and how much are those crumbs worth, versus getting an entire slice (or most of the pie) of a smaller overall pie with less ferocious and fewer eaters at the table?

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I'm sure you only know this from experience, but do you know any good ways for judging if a niche will be cut-throat and difficult to jump in to?

You have to go deeper into the sales cycle and think in 3 cycle times:

1 Before Buying 1 Mattress
2 When you buy the mattress
3 When you use the Mattress

Based on this you will understand the problem and solution that the segment that wants to sleep well or rest with a restful sleep is looking for.

Look specifically for what your segment uses that mattress for based on the tangible or intangible attributes it has.

So now you have a matrix to generate content and deliver value.

Focus on creating credibility for those segments and little by little expand your content to medium tails keywords and finally compete where the cock fight is in big keywords or short-tails that are not specific but send massive traffic.

It will depend on the type of project you want to run which will probably be an affiliate of some marketplace or Amazon.

In addition, you will have to do some healing to recommend by value and not price the best mattress in X category so you have to get up those little buttocks and go to physical stores where they sell mattresses and try them out so that your word validates the opinion and you are not just a desk reviewer.

Greetings.

Back