Hola!

Discussion in 'Intro Threads' started by parker, Aug 12, 2017.

1. parker

parker

Degree:
    I've been on the internet for quite a long time.

Initially got my start making progs on AOL then on AIM. Also stole and sold a lot of screen names (hence why I have a PayPal account from around 2000).

[​IMG]

Got into designing templates and selling them on DigitalPoint. Then started building websites and selling them.

Ended up finding my way to Offtopic. Co-created the 2girls1cup site (I designed the shit-cup logo, the backstory, and the layout).

Built another site called Hipster or Homeless that was a fun parody site. Then started a subreddit called Life Pro Tips. I then got banned on Reddit for promoting a site I built (lifeprotips.com -- now defunct)*, since I had ads on it (tl;dr: Reddit is a predatory parasite of the internet stealing content for profit).

Worked at a well known company that recently got acquired by Microsoft, and now work on a social network.

Nice to meet you.

Cheers,
    P

2. Ryuzaki

•  
    •  
    Ryuzaki 女性以上のお金 Staff Member

Degree:
    Sad to say I'm a real fan of your work! Too bad the 1guy1jar dude had to ride your coattails! (don't google that, anyone).

Welcome aboard, you've been around for a while, a true veteran of virality. Yeah, Reddit in the past year really sold themselves out to corporate and government interests. It's a shame, but I'm sure they're getting a ton of behind-the-scenes shady cash. At the end of the day, we build sites to make cash, although I prefer to do it above ground.

I'm interested in hearing more of your stories over time. Catch you around the forum.

parker likes this.
  3. parker

parker

Degree:
    Thanks! Hah yeah, that's Morgan Thomas (aka thomor25 -- wallofmonitors.com). I actually built those sites out for him because I was money hungry and knew these sites wouldn't last/they were easy to replicate.

Funny story is I was at a party awhile back for ad:tech in San Francisco, talking to a friend of mine, and who do I run into? Morgan Thomas. I'd never seen or met the guy in real life before and he randomly recognized me. It was kind of whack how he partnered with Will (cojones who owned the 2g1c domain at the time), to provide a "dedicated server". Didn't provide much value, IMO, and he made out pretty well on the whole thing.

Reddit is a mess. They're apparently in the process of rebuilding the site, and the verdict is still out, but my prediction is they shoot themselves in the feet and piss off a lot of their core user base.

Cheers! I look forward to meeting some people around here!

P

Potatoe likes this.