Hi Y'all

Degree
Hi Everyone,

I've been a member for a while...not sure what to write as an introduction but here goes 'something'.

I have been interested in working online for a number of years. Joined a number of forums from the Warrior Forum to Wickedfire. Most of the time I existed as a lurker.

I intended my first post to be about my current efforts at earning a full-time income online rather than on somebody's job...been there done that for years (decades).

However I need assistance with getting my son to believe in himself and his self worth. He has been attending college for a couple of years and is experiencing self-doubt. He is a great kid but he analyzes everything. Reminds me of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" seeking the ultimate answer to life.

Of course I tell him to just do it...be done...get on with life...than change what you can. But he still struggles and has become disillusioned with the status quo. He has taken a "break" from college but plans to go back.

School has never been his strong point. He is a great worker and gets along well with most everyone...no matter the age or race. He loves "doing" not talking or reading about it. He's very much a visual and hands on deck sort of person.

As a parent it's really difficult to see your smart, funny, hardworking child become so cynical. He's currently working at minimum wage and as a single mom I don't want to see him bottom out.

Is there anyone here who could mentor or teach him to make a livable wage online? I do not currently have the skills to do it myself...I believe some type of "win" especially being able to take care of himself will give him back his confidence and belief in himself.

He has nearly two months before Fall semester begins. He has only basic social media and computer knowledge but none as to how to make money online. I intended to teach him to do that after I started one myself.

His starting funds will be minimal $500 to $1000 but at the moment has plenty of time at least until he starts college and job.

Would anyone be able to mentor or guide him? Anything basic just to show what's possible? At least earn more than minimum wage or approximately $10 US.

Although I really want him to finish college...it may not be for him...at least not now.

Okay, that's my introduction.

Please let me know your thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks for listening...reading.

Jazzy

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Welcome, Jazzy, and thanks for your intro post.

School has never been his strong point. [...] He loves "doing" not talking or reading about it. He's very much a visual and hands on deck sort of person.
Do you think he might be better off in a trade school?

Reminds me of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" seeking the ultimate answer to life.
Yeah, I've done that and wasted a lot of time. He'll have to ultimately realize that the answer is "there is no answer" and get his feet back on the ground and head out of the clouds. He sounds highly intelligent, and being cynical is a part of that deal. But what's the point of complaining about some lofty aspect of a thing he can't get the fundamentals down on (like a basic living wage). Feet on the ground, hands in work, head focused on his own goals and ideals and not trying to manipulate or be despondent about things he can't control.

Is there anyone here who could mentor or teach him to make a livable wage online?
This is what the entire forum is for. All he needs to do is sign up and start conversing with us, and go through our free Digital Strategy Crash Course as a starting point. Of course, unless he's expressed an interest in this field himself, the most you can do is lead him to the water. He may not drink it. It's a very tough racket, too. This industry will make you extra cynical.

He has nearly two months before Fall semester begins. He has only basic social media and computer knowledge but none as to how to make money online.
He can get started and have a website up and running, populated with content in that time. His first attempt isn't likely to be a home run hit either.

If he's going to focus on SEO, you're looking at 6 months to begin earning and 12 months to start to see real potential. Otherwise he needs to be doing "in the trenches" marketing to start to get traffic to his website immediately.

With $500 to $1,000, he does not need to venture into paid traffic at all.

My fear is you're hoping for too much too fast for him. Trying to ramp up to even earning minimum wage from knowing nothing about the industry is like saying "He's heard music before, but he has no idea how to play the guitar. Can he start earning a living wage in two months?" If he can learn the guitar, establish connections, learn music theory, purchase the gear needed, learn how to do maintenance on his instrument, learn the ins-and-outs of the music industry, etc... and start getting paid, all in two months.

It's also akin to getting a degree, even though you don't need one to work in this industry. That's how much there is to know. And nobody is going to spoon feed it to him either, so he'll have to buckle in and be a self-learner.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy towards you. I just want to lay out a realistic look at things. We HAVE had people go from nothing to a full time income using the course I linked above, but they are definitely the exception, with the main variable being "are you willing to put in the work."

Have him sign up and look around and see if he thinks this could interest him. He doesn't have to do it for himself. He can sell services, work for a marketing agency, etc. Lot's of paths open up, but he's gotta do the learning first.

Best of luck with it all. We're here if he wants to get his hands dirty.

Degree
Hi Ryuzaki,

Thanks for your response.

A trade school is a valid question. Not sure if he is ready for the "demotion" at least as compared to his friends from high school and college. I believe he would look at it as being a failure. I must admit as a parent I would prefer he finish college. He is just such an intelligent person to see him stumped by such a basic life step is puzzling.

I didn't mean to suggest internet marketing is simply or easy but just want him to see there are alternatives ways to make an income other than college or a regular job.

I will suggest internet marketing to him and see where it goes. As you said the rest is up to him.

Thanks so much for pointing to the Crash Course and the offer of help from the forum.

CCarter

If they cease to believe in u, do u even exist?
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Digital Strategist
Degree
Not sure if he is ready for the "demotion" at least as compared to his friends from high school and college. I believe he would look at it as being a failure. I must admit as a parent I would prefer he finish college.
People caring about what other people think of them is the reason so many people are un-happy.

If he was able to work and be happy at McDonalds, like be REALLY happy as a human, enough so that he goes and feeds homeless people on the weekend cause he is so happy would that be a problem? Or would you rather he get his degree to impress his friends and impress you? He'll take that college and student loan debt on his back for the next 15+ years working some soul sucking corporate job and be miserable?

Happy or miserable?

I can assure you that when he is on his deathbed that neighbor lady from 2 houses down who's opinion you were worried about is not going to matter to him, he'll be looking back at all the regret and chances he didn't take cause he listened to other people and was peer pressured into a box, a soul crushing box, to keep up with the Joneses, who ever the fuck they are.

I was talking to some friends today and they were telling me about the student loan debts they were still paying off and how it was holding them back, meanwhile I'm complaining about not hitting an extra 15% increase in MRR goal I have. At that moment I realized how crazy of a bullet I dodged by not listening to my parents and "going to university getting a degree" and playing it safe. Realistically if I'm tired in the middle of the day I can go watch a movie at noon, they can't. I can go on a quick vacation for 3 day or 21 days, they need Karen from HR to approve that shit, lolwtf, fuck all that.

I asked my friends if the master degrees were worth it - there was a long pause, that pretty much answered that question.

Have you ever question why at 18 years old the banks will let you take out $100K in student loans but you can't get $20K to start a business from that same bank? Wouldn't the $20K to start a business have a better chance of getting a return on investment quicker than that $100K student loan debt. A business can triple it's income in a year, or even 6 months. How many jobs allow you to magically triple your income? Maybe if you are sleeping with Karen from HR...

It will also come down to your own feelings. Are you pushing him towards college cause it's a reflection on YOU and what your neighbors and family might think?

He has to find his own path in life, so many of us are still trying to find our own path, how can you really say "college" or "entrepreneurship" is for him? Someone that wants to run a business usually has that in their DNA. If you look at most entrepreneurs they did stuff as a little kid that showed that business spirit like sold candy at school, traded baseball cards, and mowed lawns for money.

You knew him as a little kid, what were his interests and what made him happy? Let him explore those options and topics. You have to remember the internet has opened up a whole new way of thinking about making money.

You can literally talk about Smurfs or Disney Princess toys all day on a YouTube channel and bring home $50K a month.

There are video gamers just streaming themselves playing video games making $100K a month - before we even talk about the different sponsorship opportunities.

There are Knitting channels on YouTube - Ads being ran against them and the creator is making bank.

The sea of opportunities to make money are endless in a passion he or you may have.

So "making money" on the internet doesn't mean having to create a website or become a business owner.

Don't let that fucking box crush your soul or chain you to a life of misery - or his.

Degree
I stayed in college cause I didn't want to be a dissapointment. I regret it so much.

mikey3times

BuSo Pro
Degree
A trade school is a valid question. Not sure if he is ready for the "demotion" at least as compared to his friends from high school and college. I believe he would look at it as being a failure. I must admit as a parent I would prefer he finish college. He is just such an intelligent person to see him stumped by such a basic life step is puzzling.
It is sad that people see the trades as a lesser job. This irks me so much. The trades are great jobs and can be a stepping stone for people who have a ton of ambition, but don’t know their path.

I knew what I wanted to be in High School. I knew I needed a degree to get there. I went to school for 6 years to get my Masters Degree and $60k debt. I would never be where I am today without my degree (I guess technically, I could be here, but it would have been unlikely due to a number of random occurrences.) But let me tell you about my colleagues who didn’t follow the same path as me.

A guy I work with went into the trades to be a laborer on a construction site. He did that for a few years and has a pension, but he wanted to be something else so he decided to go back to school, which the union helped fund. He graduated and joined our company. He has been there a while and is now a Partner at the company. He is 3 years younger than me, but he is an owner of the company I work for. All from starting in the trades.

I know a carpenter who never went to college, but who went on to become a construction supervisor for a major construction company. He doesn’t swing a hammer anymore. Instead he is in charge of construction for a project that is changing the face of a major university known around the world.

I know a guy who did his 30 years in the union. He started fresh out of high school. He also went to school on the side, which was paid by the union. He does a job very similar to mine. He has 3 kids that he is helping put through college now. The guy looks like he is 40, but he is in his 50s. He has his shit together. He started in the trades, but is financially capable of helping pay for 3 kids in college.

I took a traditional route, but the other 3 guys took the trade route and we all ended up in the same place, but they didn’t have the debt.

Trades don’t limit you. In fact, they are a great start for someone who doesn’t know what they want, but who is a hard worker with good intelligence.

Degree
Thank all of you who took the time to respond.

Background:

I am Black /African-American. My mom was a maid and my father a laborer. There were 4 children in my family and later 1 grandchild. My parents worked many long and odd hours to support everyone. They wanted better for their kids than what they had, as most parents do. They managed to encourage and put all of us through college. That is no small feat, especially, in the US, with our background and race.

I saved 18 years into a pre-paid college fund to pay for most of his college expenses. So yes, I want my child to do better than myself, which I must admit to me, means a college degree.

Also, as a Black Male in the US, college is a method for a Black person to distinguish yourself as above the norm. Yes, unfair and racist but that's the reality here in th US.

My son is an intelligent, compassionate and personable individual and I do not want him viewed as just another statistical black person. Again, some of you would view that as just catering to small minded people but it is also, the difference between life and death in some situations.

I want the best life possible for my son, and right now, a college degree will open more doors and create more opportunities than any other in the immediate future. However, I also want him to be happy and confident and right now he isn't. So if, trade school is for him, I will gladly follow his lead and accept whatever choice he makes.

Growing up he loved watching "How Things Are Made" a television show explaining the creative and manufacturing process for products. In High School, he joined the Engineering Club and learned about Robotics. He decided Engineering was the field he wanted to pursue.

Conclusion

I want what's best for my child but he will ultimately, have to, decide his path. I will always be his cheering squad.

Degree
What does he do in his down time? Does he play any sports or have any pastimes?

Constant work and stress.. sometimes you just need a release, let the mind wander somewhere else. Even if just for a few hours a week.

Degree
"My son is an intelligent, compassionate and personable individual and I do not want him viewed as just another statistical black person." The bolded is what matters.

Quit limiting yourself and your son based on race. If you keep bringing up your race and having a negative hypothesis about everything based on your race then you and your son will never even try to move forward because what's the point, everyone is racist and you're oppressed.

"I want the best life possible for my son, and right now, a college degree will open more doors and create more opportunities than any other in the immediate future. However, I also want him to be happy and confident and right now he isn't. So if, trade school is for him, I will gladly follow his lead and accept whatever choice he makes." Again, the bolded is what matters.

At the end of the day, your son needs to figure out what he actually likes- you can't tell him this, and neither can his friends or guidance counselors. He also needs to not have a self-limited, negative hypothesis view anymore because of what people around him are telling him.

Degree
Replies:

Dsoul,

He loves figuring out how things work and the outdoors(fishing and hunting). He went from a country environment to the city so it has been an adjustment. You are right, he does need a stress release. He played soccer in high school. Hopefully, he will find some activity to help him relax.

Thanks for your response and helpful suggestions.

---------

DanielS,

Why is it that whenever someone mentions Race there is always an obligatory response that it's a fragment of your imagination (paraphrasing here)?

If I had a $1 for everytime I have heard or read that Race doesn't matter in life: I would have enough money to buy the 40 acres and a mile promised slaves after the American Revolution and wouldn't need Slavery Reparations.<sarcasm>

Also no doubt "Black Lives Matter" is not necessary because "All Lives Matter" right.

There has indeed been great strides for Blacks in society. It is much different from my youth and a huge difference from my parents. But to say it no longer matters is for people who are either narcissistic, gullible, indifferent, ashamed or blind to their fortunes. Imo

Race matters, Income matters, Education matters and to a certain extent: Age, Disability and Sex matters as well. To say otherwise is purposely putting on blinders to go through life.

I do agree it shouldn't hold one back to achieving goals. Others have in the worst of times and circumstances.

Obviously, there is a disconnect between my words and your understanding. I believe that individuals are responsible for their own path whatever the obstacles.

A question for you:
Are you stopped for a simple traffic violation every month in the neighborhood you live and or the road to work? My son is. That's scary for any parent...especially, given the possibility of "mistakes or misunderstandings".

Degree
What DanielS is trying to say is that race only matters because YOU allow it to matter, same thing goes for income an education.
And by allowing it to matter you are victimising yourself, and allowing for your subconsions to make excuses for not succeeding.

If you want to change the world then start by changing the person you see in the mirror every day, change your perception and the world will change.

No I'm not stopped for a simple traffic violation every month, however there was a time in my life (when I was a athlete) that I was stoped for being in posseion of narcotics at least once every week (and btw. I'm white/caucatian), at first it was annoying, specially since they never found drugs on me (for a very good reason, I never involved my self with drugs)but as it continued I just laughed at the police inside and almost pittyied them for their stereotypical view of people, which I assume also often most have let a lot of drug useres and sellers go because they didn't look like they were users and sellers.

I don't have a college degree, I alsways was the black sheep of my familly and to this day I am still percieved as such only due to the lack of my degree, yet I've accomplished great things in life, things that most people never will.

You are the person you decide to be.