Hi. I'm astounded to have found BuSo.

Degree
Hi, everyone.

I was hoping to keep this short but felt like I should be descriptive at times. So it's not that short.

I started making a living online about a decade ago. There have been high points and very low points.

Some years ago I felt I was doing pretty well but got comfortable. I was used to the grind, all nighters and cutting the BS, but considered that I could relax for a bit, socialize, and I'll just pick up later.

Well I was wrong - I got lazy, lost my hunger and discipline to grind and struggle.

I did not think this could ever happen to me, but somehow it did.

When starting out with digital marketing I had already gone through the process of struggling while people around me didn't believe in me and despite that succeeding and reaching my goal of being financially independent (credit: there was 1 friend who did believe in me, though). So I thought I'd have that discipline forever and could start from scratch whenever I wanted. But like I said, I was wrong.

I somehow lost that common sense and persistence that you develop when working for yourself and making things happen.

After a few years of scraping by I got a job because I thought I was too close to barely having any money.

Although my bosses have been amazing and the job was working on a rather big website ( related to digital marketing ), I was not at all satisfied. I'm not fond of a 2hr commute each day, not working on what I want or learning what I want, and all sorts of other things that came with having a job.

I had worked on my projects in evenings and some mornings before going to work. This went on for a few years. Those years flew by, and I hardly have any memories of them - I believe this is because of the mind numbing routine.

There have been ok times and depressing times because I didn't always have confidence that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

As a disclaimer, I'd also like to mention that I was dissatisfied with my performance at my job. I believe that I could have done better, gotten promotions or bigger raises, etc. There were opportunities, but they weren't for me. I don't think I could've evolved and learned what I wanted and lived the life I wanted by working there. I mention this because I don't want it to seem like I'm blaming my job or anyone else for the rough times, except for myself.

Anyway, fast forward I quit 2 months ago as an affiliate website on which myself and a friend have been working on for a year is profitable enough to sustain me (credit: without that friend this wouldn't have been possible) . So I've been able to focus more on important stuff, and now I'm hoping to grow and scale the business.

---

I found BuSo because I was curious why someone replied in a thread on Reddit that they're glad to see another "BuSo member".

I just happened on that reply while scrolling and was just curious so after a few searches I ended up here, got a glimpse of the sections, and was pleasantly surprised to see an active digital marketing forum. It was surprising because I had gotten used to internet marketing forums to fade away in recent years.

After browsing for a minute, I ended up on the Bragging Thread and was humbled by some of the brags. That really opened up my eyes and made me all ears. So I signed up, read the notification, and ended up on the Crash Course.

I first thought "I probably already know this, but I'll take a quick look at the first post". I ended up reading it and was very much shaken up to my very core.

That first post slapped all of the bitch out of me (Day 1 - Intro & Taking Inventory). I'm typically very aware of when I'm being a bitch and getting distracted and making excuses etc, but many times I don't do something about it. This read was on a whole new level, and it spoke to my soul. I decided halfway while reading it that I'll go ahead and introduce myself, so that I may be part of your community.

I did not really want to write an intro because I have so much to say and it takes a while to write it, but I figured I owed it to you for making an effort to make this forum so authentic and no BS, and I owed it to myself. Since I was reading that post and it was lighting up a fire inside me, and I know that participating in this community will propel me to new heights, I'd be shooting myself in the foot and disrespecting all of that sacred text in the Day 1 post if I didn't take this first step.

So after that introduction by Day 1 to this forum I'm quite pleasantly traumatized and extraordinarily excited to be here.

As I said, I've been a lurker pretty much all my life except for participating at times on Reddit, but I want to be a valuable member here and I'm aiming to quit my bullshit, become more efficient, evolve, help others and hopefully brag with the best of you some day soon.

Thanks so much and I apologize if the post has a "wall of text" feel to it.

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
Hey, welcome!

What were some of the high points throughout your decade, like what sort of projects / businesses did you find success with or fulfillment? What were you working on when you got too comfy?

I'm looking forward to following along, any plans on starting a journal? Also, how did you find this place?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Welcome aboard @nicemkay, the more the merrier. There's a huge benefit to not being a lurker, which is asking the community specifically what you need to ask, instead of sitting back and hoping to absorb something relevant to you. Everyone here is happy to toss an opinion your way and hopes to get one back when they need it too.

We have a lot of veterans here, so you'll be in good company. I hope to learn a lot from you. Thanks for the intro.

Degree
@Potatoe Hi. Thanks for the questions!

I don't know how everyone feels about this. But I started with blackhat tactics, which did not last. This was for the first few years. Those were my beginnings and made some good money by doing that.

That's when I got lazy. I'd rather not get into the specifics if that's ok with you?

I had not realized until now that when telling the story of how I started digital marketing, at first it sounds "oh wow, how nice that he pulled through in the face of adversity, and succeeded". But then when you asked how, and I answer that through blackhat tactics, I realize that it doesn't sound inspirational at all anymore... it is rather shameful, now that I think about it.

To continue, after that I wanted to actually to provide a legitimate service. I started providing web hosting and started a dropshipping site which I promoted via Facebook Ads.

The dropshipping website did keep me afloat for a while, but I had to stop it because it was too much of a risk and I wasn't able to scale enough for it to be sustainable.

I still have the web hosting and it brings in some recurring revenue. Not much though. There is still room for improvement, however.

By writing Linux related tutorials is how we (myself and my friend) got into SEO. This is because writing Linux tutorials is fun and the competition is a lot lower than for Amazon affiliate products.

So we saw with our own eyes the rewards of Google traffic.

I knew about SEO since I found out about digital marketing, but never got into it because I was afraid of having to wait for results, or fear of spending money writing and not seeing any profit, and all of the typical reasons.

I hope that answers the questions, and I apologize for not getting into all of the specifics of the blackhat part. I hope that's cool with you.

Degree
@Ryuzaki Thank you very much for having me and for the warm welcome.

Given the degree of some member's success that I've seen in the bragging section, I'm kind of doubting the value I'll be able to contribute.

But I'll surely do my best.

@secretagentdad Thank you very much! I'm thrilled to be here.

@Potatoe Apologies. I didn't realize I hadn't answered your last questions, and I passed the 15min mark to edit my reply.

I'm not sure about starting the journal yet, but I am seriously considering it. I'll check out a few journeys for inspiration and see after.

I'm inclined to think that I should, since I have tremendous respect for this forum and can't see myself abandoning it.

With regard to how I found this place, I mention this in the second part of my intro post:
I found BuSo because I was curious why someone replied in a thread on Reddit that they're glad to see another "BuSo member".

I just happened on that reply while scrolling and was just curious so after a few searches I ended up here, got a glimpse of the sections, and was pleasantly surprised to see an active digital marketing forum. It was surprising because I had gotten used to internet marketing forums to fade away in recent years.