Introductions Thread

Thanks @eliquid.

Shall i post my progress thread here too? what do you suggest?

For sure. You'll get a unique type of feedback here from long time veterans and interaction from newcomers alike. There's no better place to ask questions than here.

Welcome aboard! MJ DeMarco's Millionaire Fastlane is probably the most ground breaking book I've read when it comes to scalable business. I need to pickup Unscripted and give it a whirl.

For sure. You'll get a unique type of feedback here from long time veterans and interaction from newcomers alike. There's no better place to ask questions than here.

Welcome aboard! MJ DeMarco's Millionaire Fastlane is probably the most ground breaking book I've read when it comes to scalable business. I need to pickup Unscripted and give it a whirl.
Then i will go ahead and post it here. I was going through day 1 of Digital crash course here, and man, so much to grasp just in one chapter. Mind blowing. What i learned from MJ books were there in that chapter. Very insightful for new comers and veteran.

Thanks Ryuzaki. I am Shiroe from Log Horizon. :D

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

My name is Joel R and I'm looking forward to being a member of the community :smile:

I came across an SEO thread on BuilderSociety by user @CCarter, which kind of sucked me into the rest of the forums and I decided to sign up! I'm a webmaster of a small hobbyist forum, so my interests are in learning more about content marketing, digital marketing, and SEO. I'd appreciate any pointers to help understand the best resources of BuSo!

My interest background is in community management, so I'd be happy to answer anything related to that!

giphy.gif

Joel

Welcome!
You'll find the best info on SEO and digital marketing right here.

Welcome, @Joelr, forums don't tend to play very well, SEO-wise, since it's all user generated content. You might see things like Quora and forum-ish platforms ranking a lot, but think about how rarely you see forums ranking, even huge ones like Reddit.

That's not to say you can't optimize for search terms, but the ROI isn't really there. If you want to use content marketing and SEO to funnel traffic to your forum, I'd consider an off-platform blog. To be honest I've never tried having a forumdomain.com/blog/ on the same domain. That could work, especially since you'll have nearly infinite opportunities to create posts and interlink back to the blog.

Anyways, best of luck with it. I'm looking forward to learn more about what your goals are, what your actions will be, and how it turns out.

Welcome @Joelr, a lot of smart folks here who are happy to share. using the old search query
site:buildersociety.com you_question
will often give insight.

Good luck

Welcome!
You'll find the best info on SEO and digital marketing right here.
Thanks!

These are areas where I'm weak in, so it's nice to be able to 'round out' my areas of knowledge and enhance community with SEO and digital marketing.

Welcome, @Joelr, forums don't tend to play very well, SEO-wise, since it's all user generated content. You might see things like Quora and forum-ish platforms ranking a lot, but think about how rarely you see forums ranking, even huge ones like Reddit.

That's not to say you can't optimize for search terms, but the ROI isn't really there. If you want to use content marketing and SEO to funnel traffic to your forum, I'd consider an off-platform blog. To be honest I've never tried having a forumdomain.com/blog/ on the same domain. That could work, especially since you'll have nearly infinite opportunities to create posts and interlink back to the blog.

Anyways, best of luck with it. I'm looking forward to learn more about what your goals are, what your actions will be, and how it turns out.
There's definitely been a forum-armageddon in the past decade of many legacy forums in Google search rankings.

I like the idea of a blog (and by the way, my community software does include a blogging and publishing platform), so it can be nicely integrated with my forum and member management. To be brutally honest:
1. It's yet another thing I need to add to my stack of "to do" items, and requires tons of further research and investigation to do content marketing well. (I don't like to be one of those guys who tries something just to try it. If I'm going to try something, I want to put forth a best effort)
2. A lot of my community's wealth is in media (eg. images). The challenge for me is to add textual information at scale to those images.

Joel have you considered turning some of your best threads into detailed blog posts? I've always thought that could be the best way for forum owners to transition their business into something search engines want nowadays.

Yes and no.

Yes, I've absolutely thought about how to optimize my forum topics into better content by: converting them into long-form blog posts, optimizing the topic title into Q&A, selecting and commenting on the best responses (this is a feature of my software).

Unfortunately, most of my forum posts are low quality. Most of them are forum games, and the forums exist simply to serve a community of members. The richness of my forums are in the image boards. I am kind-of converting them into long-form content by hiring a content writer to add biographical details to the models. My goal is to eventually cover 20% of those topics (it would be prohibitively expensive and take way too long to write profiles on everyone).

While I would recommend making a separate thread for your site/work...(to receive advice and such)

Why not identify really popular images and make blog posts like "Ten utter gaming fails" or whatever.

These are insane clickbait.

My aim is to build true authority sites. Sites that are loved and shared. Not to just pump out content, praying to the Google god to give me some rank, only to eventually have it overtaken by competition or vulnerable to an algorithm update.
@BOBskot This could not ring more true for myself as well. Building an authority site has become my mission because I think it is more valuable to grow a community with high and consistent engagement . They will provide consistent returns now and in the future because you are the most reliable source of information and actually care, rather than the make money just for the short term mentality.

-P

Hi @JamaicanMoose, thanks for sharing this. I find it really inspiring. I am wondering what you do about creating Google Search Console accounts for your websites when you have so many on the go. Do you create each account from a separate IP or are they all on your home IP?

Hi @JamaicanMoose, thanks for sharing this. I find it really inspiring. I am wondering what you do about creating Google Search Console accounts for your websites when you have so many on the go. Do you create each account from a separate IP or are they all on your home IP?

They're all under the same IP and on my personal GMail. I don't care that Google knows all the sites are owned by me.

Thanks for the reply, I guess that is a pretty good attitude to have. I tend to be a little paranoid but I am sure Google could still link me to every site I have ever been involved with if I ever got on their radar (and I don't give them any reason to these days if I can help it). I too got hit with a manual link penalty in the past.

@JamaicanMoose

Welcome to the board Joe.

I believe in the same method as you. Build and sell. I never had a time frame on it however, so your 18 month suggestion I shall take into account. I'm just passing 13 month on a project and have hit $40k in sales of a single product. Would love to get your advice on how to sell, because I've found owning a product/trademark isn't as sought after as it may have been in my hay of flipping sites (2008/2009'ish).

I asked a few buyers on their reason for not buying ecomm sites, but they wouldn't respond.

Happy to see another person with good web business ideas is thriving by flipping legitimate product. There's not a lot of us.

@JamaicanMoose

Welcome to the board Joe.

I believe in the same method as you. Build and sell. I never had a time frame on it however, so your 18 month suggestion I shall take into account. I'm just passing 13 month on a project and have hit $40k in sales of a single product. Would love to get your advice on how to sell, because I've found owning a product/trademark isn't as sought after as it may have been in my hay of flipping sites (2008/2009'ish).

I asked a few buyers on their reason for not buying ecomm sites, but they wouldn't respond.

Happy to see another person with good web business ideas is thriving by flipping legitimate product. There's not a lot of us.

I've only dealt in Amazon Affiliate sites, so I don't really have advice here. The folks at FEInternational can probably help you out.

I've only dealt in Amazon Affiliate sites, so I don't really have advice here. The folks at FEInternational can probably help you out.

FEInternational weren't into ecommerce I think either... I could be wrong . THe ecomm they do offer on their site now, has a subscription service outside of product sold.

Going to make a post about selling websites.

Hey BuSo,

I've only just read some of the other introduction threads and I'm already super inspired by this place.

I have a blog that started as a personal project documenting my journey into fatherhood. I've started to see visitors coming in and now I want more.

Anyway I'm sure I'll have many questions to ask once I've read a little more.

Welcome aboard. Is your Fatherhood blog your first attempt at an online, income-generating project?

Hey yo,

Fatherhood blog sounds really interesting. That's a niche that's untapped but I could see a big potential.

Welcome aboard. Is your Fatherhood blog your first attempt at an online, income-generating project?

Ja pretty much - I have done a couple of posts where I was payed to review a product by a company but now I want to do more and earn more from it.

Fatherhood blog sounds really interesting. That's a niche that's untapped but I could see a big potential.

There are a few of us blogging around the topic but a lot of what I see is the mommy bloggers who're making crazy cash from their blogs and basically I want in.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I would have my "sites" set on Mediavine (based on conversations with someone who I'm not sure would want me to mention their name, but yeah, people are getting insane RPM's there in this niche.)

I would have my "sites" set on Mediavine (based on conversations with someone who I'm not sure would want me to mention their name, but yeah, people are getting insane RPM's there in this niche.)

Thanks for your comment - what do you mean by RPM?

@Waterloo

The amount of money you'll make for every 1000 people who visit your site (Revenue per mille). It will vary a lot based on your niche, the topics you're writing about, which ad networks you're using, where you position your ads, etc.

@EyesExist no not yet. I've not looked into YouTube or podcasting, I'm still trying to understand how to switch from blogging to writing content.

@Waterloo

The amount of money you'll make for every 1000 people who visit your site (Revenue per mille). It will vary a lot based on your niche, the topics you're writing about, which ad networks you're using, where you position your ads, etc.
Okay, it's good to know I've picked something with good money. I'm also keen to explore some more stuff where I get paid to post as it seems a lot of the mommy bloggers do this and it makes up a good chunk of their income.

Back