[Hey!] When the Student is Ready - the Builder will Appear…

uzz

Degree
I started my IM journey in 2006-7. Found a forum called Wickedfire (good place to ‘make money online’ :D) which motivated me to build out my first couple of MFA sites. Even now, looking back, I can see I was pulled in a lot of different directions. I was a web designer turned web developer turned SEO turned marketer?? I also did ppc. I remember slinging some game offers on FB ads when there were only 2 ad sports to be had. Bought my first car from that, which was fun - until the offer went away and so did my motivation. Oh yes, I slang berries too, mainly copying landers and traffic sources, nothing original - was bound to fail.

Got back into building out MFA sites. Chasing the paper. Sites rose and fell within months (because of tactics). Also got a full time SEO job for corporate and got comfortable for 7 or so years. It did fund all my other side projects which was great - got heavy into paid traffic, won some campaigns, lost more. After the dust settled, spent about 10k on paid ads with nothing to show for it.

Did a lot of Mass Pass Generation (SEO) - which was okay, until it became less effective. I still have some of those sites, but letting them die a natural death. Plus I felt bad for ‘littering’ on the internet :D

I quit corporate in 2017 and have been going at it since then. I still do an assortment of things to bring in the $$ like Client SEO work, and Lead Generation/Affiliate marketing.

Which brings me back here. Even though I can make money for clients/offers, work from home,I feel like there’s something missing. I don’t have any of my own assets. Or at least nothing to build a brand around. I build out a lot of local lead gen sites, but those are just fronts for other clients/offers.

I’ve been a lurker here for a while now - I actually went through some of the ‘digital crash course’ material years ago, but as my post title suggests, I was more interested in quicker/short term gains and was not ready for this place. Plus that shit needs a TLDR tag lol.

To Recap:
10+ years of SEO
Currently do client work + build out lead gen sites (just focus on SEO)
I have tried Email marketing,PPC,& CRO

My goal is to build out my own brand/s so I can focus on 1 project at a time!
The niche? Good Q - I have some ideas, but would like to align them with my vaules.

I believe the thing that's held me back a lot in the past was the effin work! I got comfortable building out these ‘quick’ sites and got addicted to short term gratification. Plus when your supporting your fam, it’s hard to think about building out sites that might not make any $$ for months. But on the flip side, if it works, then it is better for the fam! Frued who!

Also, I think I have to be aware of what sites/businesses to start and not get them confused with hobby sites or sites that will ‘help the world’ type of sites. AKA sites that don’t make any $$!

Well, wish me luck. There’s work to be done.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
@uzz, Welcome aboard as a poster, very happy to have a veteran onboard.

Sounds like it's time for you to evolve. You're itching to bust out of the cocoon, but I'd say you've got some mindset changes to make. I'm not at all trying to talk down to you or psycho-analyze you (though you're the one that brought up Freud!), but it soooounds like you've been in that "get rich quick by scheming" mindset and a kind of lazy "stinking thinking."

I was on Wickedfire and buddies with all the big guys, still am. My pal @Physiq was one of the first if not the first to start harping on authority sites. He had one built and prospering before the rest of us even caught on. But I was paying attention because he could see the future and put that bug in my ear. I tried to pay it forward and told all the big spammer guys to please at least build one authority site starting now. Just get it going. They scoffed and said "if there's an algorithm then spam will work." Sure, but what about meta-algorithms and offline filters, etc. Most of them bailed to cryptocurrencies or do consulting or just quit the game altogether.

That's the same with all you've described. MFA micro sites. Mass page generation. Even local sites and GMB pages are about to get the same treatment. SEO has matured greatly, largely because of the Panda and Penguin filters. Tricks are tricks and they fly-by-night and then crash and burn.

Yeah, you can still make money in spam but the game has changed there too, maturing and trying to hide better, focusing on quality over quantity. It's not really worth the time when the end result looks just like a white hat authority site but costed a lot more and now you can't sleep well because you know Google is going to pop you at any moment.

If you need the quick hits and fast builds, have them. But start planting the seeds of an authority site project. All it requires is to toss the site up, get a logo, and start dripping content regularly. In a year's time it will be aged enough that you'll start seeing results. Of course, getting some links will be key too, but if you must, just do it passively without pressure. You'll be glad you did in a year's time.

I'm the same way, but with perfectionism. So ultimately I created an authority site that I could treat like a precious baby and coddle it and all that. It acts as my outlet for that problem. So now on other projects I don't feel the need for perfection, because I aim it elsewhere.

Sometimes we can't beat our problems, we can only cope and manage our way through and around them and bring them along for the ride. We can compartmentalize them so we can gain clarity everywhere else though.

uzz

Degree
@uzz, Welcome aboard as a poster, very happy to have a veteran onboard.
Thanks! Your response is much appreciated and has actually got me really excited. Sounds like there are a lot of kindred spirits in here! Funny thing is when I first came here, I was like - ack forums are so dead. Wheres the FB group at? But now I'm starting to see some of the benefits - mainly no noise. There's so much happening on FB that no wonder I developed a major case of the shiny object syndrome. Although i appreciate the hustle of the guru brand builders/teachers/scammers, its so turned me off of FB, even when I try and filter certain groups.
Sounds like it's time for you to evolve. You're itching to bust out of the cocoon, but I'd say you've got some mindset changes to make. I'm not at all trying to talk down to you or psycho-analyze you (though you're the one that brought up Freud!), but it soooounds like you've been in that "get rich quick by scheming" mindset and a kind of lazy "stinking thinking."
You know i never though of myself as a get rick quick schemer, I always wanted just enough to be financial independent/freedom (hello values). Perhaps in my case its more of a get slightly rich scheme lol. Nonetheless, you're right. It IS time to evolve. How much for the session Freud:D

Thank you for the rest of your response - I took it to heart and will most likely be revisiting it in times of need. Time to build an authority site.