Hello World!

Degree
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd introduce myself after being a lurker for a couple of months.

Here's a bit of my SEO background:

I started my career in SEO a few years ago while studying my master's degree at university (UK), since then I've been hooked. I absorbed everything there was to know about SEO as quickly as I could, leading to me getting a more senior position after just 6 months at the company. However, this company worked mostly with small scale, local clients (although I did enjoy the London medical practitioners as the keywords related to these were highly competitive and very rewarding, but these were few and far between) - but I wanted something more. I quickly planned my exit strategy and started to focus much more on the technical side rather than a jack-of-all-trades across everything.

I have since started work at another company that has clients within the gambling industry. This is great as it has really allowed me to expand my technical skills within a very difficult niche. This job gives me a lot of what I want if I'm honest but I would really like to nurture my own projects and build some side-income (possibly progressing to my sole-income)... plus I really just want to see how much I can automate with my new love for programming!

That's why I'm here. I am wanting to get involved with a very self-driven community who isn't just content on being drip fed the same old content from popular SEO blogs and to take my skills to new levels, do my own research and share the results with you guys :smile:

So I'm very looking forward to getting stuck into the forum and learning as much as I can.

Feel free to ask me anything!

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
That's a fun story. I've never worked for an agency but I know a ton of people that went that route. Almost all of them never build their own websites, not sure why. Fear of failure? I'd definitely recommend doing it, especially since you have the skill set and you get to keep all of the earnings.

What all is involved in gambling? I know there's legit clients and then tons of "churn and burn" spam. Seems like legit gambling is largely link acquisition from as many targets as possible since the number of related targets is relatively small.

Welcome to BuSo, glad to have you posting!

Degree
Well the first agency I worked at built their own websites, was very much just trying to churn them out initially which was a huge hassle, before we had a custom WP theme anyway.

The main client I work on is a huge online and retail brand in the UK with a relatively large website, so there's a lot of focus on-site rather than links at this point due to the size of their link profile. We have some smaller white label gambling clients that have a focus on link acquisition, however.

It's quite an interesting industry as you can actually see Google treats these websites with a hell of a lot more caution.

Thanks for the welcome! :smile: