Introductions Thread

Hi Everyone,
  • I have been lurking and wanted to finally introduce myself.
  • My background is in technology, engineering, and business.
  • The goal is to create a SaaS or e-com platform, and I am in the middle of finding my niche.
  • This phase seems to be a major roadblock for me because I'm not too sure how to "niche down".
  • I read the Digital Strategy Crash Course, but am still not too sure how to differentiate my platform.
  • Maybe I'm overthinking it, but competition seems so fierce.
  • There are so many platforms doing what can seem like the same thing.
  • Does anyone have any good resources on market segmentation?

I found the following books to be helpful:
  1. Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want - Alexander Osterwalder
  2. Thinkpak: A Brainstorming Card Deck - Michael Michalko
  3. Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative - Austin Kleon
  4. Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All - Tom Kelley

I've a site online but it only has minimum content on it and I've not invested anything so wont be traumatised if I have to scrap this and start something else. What I don't want to do is run before I walk and I want to make sure the niche is in the right vertical if that makes any sense.

I agree with this 100%. Just because you have a site that exists doesn't mean you have to choose it to work on. I'd go right back to the beginning so you can do the best keyword research and niche validation possible. Otherwise all of your future work could be in vain.

That's funny to even read "Unique Article Wizard" again. EzineArticles comes up sometimes because I'm reminded daily by the nice faux leather cup holder they sent me, with their logo embossed in it, with a complimentary coffee cup. I use the coaster every day, it's on my desk holding my coffee as I type this:

dFCQig2.jpg

I was an expert author at one point in a past life! (aka dumped content from a site I took down onto it).

-----

@metalgear, Welcome aboard. Glad to have you posting.

In this case, niche-ing down would probably require some form of intimacy with a larger niche and understanding the unique problems faced inside it for some segment of users.

I agree about seeing a lot of SaaS's doing the exact same stuff. How many keyword trackers do we have as SEO's, you know. How many backlink monitors, how many DA / DR / TF / CF metrics, etc. There might be a lot of competitors but if an industry is sufficiently big you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Sometimes you can do what someone else is doing but do it better. Other times you don't even need to do that, you just need the biggest marketing budget and most ferocious campaigns (like 1&1 Hosting or GoDaddy).

You could do a full takeover of an industry with 1000 potential users paying $25 a month, or you could get a slice of a bigger pie where you end up with 10,000 people paying $15 a month. I'd rather do the second one, even if it means reinventing the wheel.

I'm not really a SaaS guy, though. The guys to follow would be @CCarter, @eliquid, and @secretagentdad. Best of luck, hope you stay out of lurker mode!

I'd say that probably depends a lot on where in the world you live and work.

About the case studies and ideas My advice would be to just pick one of them get some experience, and then once you feel like you've reached full potential with it either flip it or let sit as a cash cow, the only needs alittle maintaince work once in a wwhile, then start a new one and build that up and flip the first one, untill you find the one that does the trick for you.

Have you considered building your own agency using freelancers?

Appreciate your message, @lion1978 Thanks!
What you say sounds reasonable. I should probably just write down all of my ideas and then select one to start with. I have never considered flipping businesses before. Will definitely come back to that idea if I reach that point for one business.

I did consider building an agency at one point. Selected a service I wanted to focus on, checked competition... Eventually I decided against it because I would prefer client communication only in person or over messages. In my experience there is a lot of communication over phone in agencies and I just really dislike having to make phone calls.

I just really dislike having to make phone calls.

I take this one back. Although it's true, it's just a really dumb excuse for me to not pursue that idea that I already looked into. I'll start with an agency as a first project. Thanks.

I still get Ezine article summaries once in a while, actually got one email a few days ago.

I have 9000 lifetime clicks from them and 100.000 views.

Honestly, that was an amazing source of trafic, if only things were so simple now.

----

Just consider working for a boss to be education you get paid for.

However, if you don't feel like you're learning and your boss is teaching, then find a new job.

Hey all,

I'm new to the digital marketing field, for the past couple of years wanted to start doing something in it. Currently, I'm finishing my uni degree in business, which is useless in fact. All of my trials of getting a paid full-time job/internship were unsuccessful, no matter what strategy I had used.

Sooo, here is me at the very beginning of the start. I don't aim for a lot of money/fame, just want to learn something useful and meet new people. Can you guys tell me any of your career stories?

I would appreciate any info-sharing or welcoming words. Have a wonderful day!

Welcome to the forum Jessica (if that really is your name :wink:).

What direction are you thinking of heading in? Meaning, what path are you thinking or pursuing? Freelance, affiliate marketing, etc.

Your business degree may not seem worth it while you're still going through the process of getting it. However, the critical thinking skills you learned along the way will pay dividends over your lifetime.

I have degrees in geology and engineering. Huge fucking waste of time since I don't use it directly - but the problem solving skills and analytical thinking you learn is important in any field.

Anyways, welcome to the forum; what kind of business are you starting?

Hey,
I'm finishing my uni degree in business, which is useless in fact.

Nah, it's quite useful actually, but you probably won't be able to see that until you're more experienced in the practicalities of business and you've seen some growth. Then all that stuff from business school will suddenly make sense.

Sooo, here is me at the very beginning of the start. I don't aim for a lot of money/fame, just want to learn something useful and meet new people. Can you guys tell me any of your career stories?

Sure, I studied economics, dropped out, studied some time abroad, discovered internet marketing as a means to extend my stay, got back, got a job, quit job, became self employed.

Honestly, that was an amazing source of trafic, if only things were so simple now.

You wouldn't believe how much I wish I'd had gone harder and saved more when things were that wild. C'est la vie.

I'm sure one day we'll look back and wish things were as "easy" as they are now which is good motivation to push on.

What you say sounds reasonable
I would say an entery level job in an agency wwoould be no less than $3.700 and that is really at the low end, but also keep mind that I'm from scandinavia aka Denmark which has one of the highest tax % in the world not to mention the highest vat/sales taxation in the world, which then drives up prices and ultimatley living expenses.

One thing you might consider with an agency is going the leead gen way, on the plus side is that you have to deal less with clients and their constant "why am I not ranking yet?" questions as well as trying to explain to them why it's better to go after buyers keywords and not vanity keywords.

it's an easy sell to them because it's no cure no pay performance marketing.

On the negative side though is that you are taking all the risk, plus you have out of pocket expenses from the get go (depending on how you go about it)

But you can also be as agressive in your marketing as you want. And it can be relatively easily priced.

Welcome to the forum Jessica (if that really is your name :wink:).

What direction are you thinking of heading in? Meaning, what path are you thinking or pursuing? Freelance, affiliate marketing, etc.

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

I don't know exactly. Previously, I have had the experience of getting 2 certificates from Google in the Ads sector. After a glance, SEO looks like a perspective, technical (which gives it a bonus in my eyes) direction. I have the intention to participate in projects, not even paid ones for the beginning, so it looks like a freelance concept. The thing that fascinates me about digital marketing is universality and applied mean, it's very practical and feels like a craft.

Do you have any piece of advice?

Your business degree may not seem worth it while you're still going through the process of getting it. However, the critical thinking skills you learned along the way will pay dividends over your lifetime.
Yeah, I didn't mean it's useless overall. My concern was headed towards finding a full-time job, just the education doesn't give you enough for the companies/positions I had tried to get in. So, that's why I'm here now. Anyway, thanks for the reassuring words!

I have degrees in geology and engineering. Huge fucking waste of time since I don't use it directly - but the problem solving skills and analytical thinking you learn is important in any field.

Anyways, welcome to the forum; what kind of business are you starting?

Hello there, I haven't thought about starting my own company yet. Feel like the lack of applied skills in the industry, I want to close that gap through freelance projects in digital marketing (SEO maybe, pls check my previous reply, I mentioned it partly). My education isn't connected with technologies/digital field, it's more like conservative BBA one, anyway don't regret I got it.

Nah, it's quite useful actually, but you probably won't be able to see that until you're more experienced in the practicalities of business and you've seen some growth. Then all that stuff from business school will suddenly make sense.

Yeah, but finding your first real paid job is now frustrating.

Sure, I studied economics, dropped out, studied some time abroad, discovered internet marketing as a means to extend my stay, got back, got a job, quit job, became self employed.

Won't you mind me asking about your start? Where did you get skills/mentor/first projects from? Any recommendations about courses/websites/freelance platforms/forums? I would be so grateful to receive a reply!

Hello there, I haven't thought about starting my own company yet. Feel like the lack of applied skills in the industry, I want to close that gap through freelance projects in digital marketing (SEO maybe, pls check my previous reply, I mentioned it partly). My education isn't connected with technologies/digital field, it's more like conservative BBA one, anyway don't regret I got it.
I see. IMO SEO is not the best field to get into - I'd rather do paid traffic I.e. Google Ads, Facebook, Snap, etc.

It's more tangible, and an easier sell as you're working with clients who are spending money vs. many SEO clients, who are, very cheap. The exception are larger companies, but they won't work with freelancers anyways, but large agencies.

Since you asked about the career path above. I don't do any client work - sometimes some consulting - but work with affiliate marketing. So spending my own money on traffic to get paid per sales/lead.

I got into it because it's technical and somewhat scalable. It had nothing to do with what I studied. I just wanted to do something else - and jobs where I live pay low, so it's easy to beat with online money.

Won't you mind me asking about your start? Where did you get skills/mentor/first projects from? Any recommendations about courses/websites/freelance platforms/forums? I would be so grateful to receive a reply!

I began on useless forums like Warrior Forum and Black Hat World. This is the only forum worth anything by the way.

What really made me learn SEO though was working in an agency. I learned so much there, because they also had some affiliates there, but also a lot about structuring your work and such.

I learned the most from here though. The Digital Crash Course on this forum is all you need.

After a glance, SEO looks like a perspective, technical (which gives it a bonus in my eyes) direction.
SEO definitely can be technical. However, many clients won't have the money required to really build out a complete SEO strategy. Meaning, they'll have a budget of $300 a month, and they'll think that this is enough for you to do anything more than some on-page for 10 blog posts each money, when it reality, it isn't (unless you're working for peanuts). Also, with any organic marketing services, clients will have unrealistic expectations 90% of the time, which is something that can be difficult to maneuver (especially if you're not perceived as an authority in your field).
I have the intention to participate in projects, not even paid ones for the beginning, so it looks like a freelance concept.
Do this for 1 or 2 projects sure, but don't get caught in the "work for exposure" cycle that so many people claim is valuable (it is- but only for a little while). If you "work for exposure" for too long, you might end up attracting the wrong clientele (people who will offer you most exposure for work).
The thing that fascinates me about digital marketing is universality and applied mean, it's very practical and feels like a craft.
Yep- there are legitimate skills involved when it comes to digital marketing (I think this is one of the reasons why so many people fail).
Do you have any piece of advice?
If I had to start from 0, I would offer a paid service. Meaning, Google ads, Facebook ads, Pinterest ads, etc. Paid ads are easier to generate an ROI for clients, which helps bypass the impatience issue that always pops up when providing an organic service. Also, if you're providing a 2x ROI (or whatever) for a client, they'll be more likely to spend more money of ads, which leads to more money for you (more hours worked, more earnings from ad spend %, etc).

I would say an entery level job in an agency wwoould be no less than $3.700 and that is really at the low end, but also keep mind that I'm from scandinavia aka Denmark which has one of the highest tax % in the world not to mention the highest vat/sales taxation in the world, which then drives up prices and ultimatley living expenses.

Hey, thanks for that estimation. I live in Germany and I get way less than that. Hopefully this is due to the high tax in Denmark and not me just getting paid below average like I speculated.

I think going the lead gen route is one of the smartest things to do in online marketing. Especially if one aims to generate leads for local businesses. But personally I would prefer doing a design agency. The niche I was looking at would make it possible to ask for high prices per product and I wouldn't need to explain ungrateful clients why they lost their #1 spot in Google. Competition seems very low too.

The downside would be that I would have to prepare a portfolio first and spend more time on the website design than one would usually do. And obviously in the beginning I'll need time to make the product for the client before I can eventually move to freelancers.

Not sure if that's the best idea still, but I think it has potential. Might be too advanced for a first project, though?

The downside would be that I would have to prepare a portfolio first and spend more time on the website design than one would usually do.

Interesting idea now the portfolio could be made of websites that you intend to flip later on, or you could go to market places like fiverr and legiit and seoclerks, and other like that and simply staart by selling there to build a portfolio and some reputation, and you could list your design service here as well.

Hey, thanks for that estimation. I live in Germany and I get way less than that.

Maybe you should move to Denmark then? Or Sweden or Norway or Poland?

I feel like a lot of people are not seeing the bigger picture in regards to the European job market. Most companies are dying to have people with a foreign background on staff, provided they can adapt and learn the language quickly. Most agencies worth anything have clients that are international. It's a HUGE benefit to have a native speaking foreigner on staff. Again, provided said foreigner is at least fluent in English and willing to invest in local language.

And this move is south to north mostly, but also west to east. Salaries in places like Estonia are not that bad for IT. Yes, much lower than Scandinavia, but are the really that low compared to Britain or Germany? You have to factor in the cost of living which is much lower there.

Be that bridge between countries.

For your personal life, there's nothing more exciting than being a younger expat in a foreign country. You can leave all the mundane stuff behind, the politics, the grievances, the cultural peculiarities of your personality and try life at a different location.

• I am almost done doing market research and will budget money to test a platform
  • The domain name alone is $3,000 and I am wondering if it is worth it
  • The rest of the costs will likely consist of ppc, seo, maybe a copywriter etc

The domain name alone is $3,000 and I am wondering if it is worth it

Dude you ARE overthinking shit, and it is because of procrastination. This is fucking Paralysis by over-analysis.

“Just fucking do it.” - Dan Peña

If you are going to hesitate at every damn decision you are never going to get anywhere. Reading more books, more papers, more blog posts, more resources on market segmentation, and more bla bla bla is just again procrastination.

Just fucking do it.

You are going to fail, you are going to make thousands of mistakes, you are going to lose a lot, but you just have to keep going and “fail towards success.”

Just fucking do it.

“I would a, I should a, I could a”

You are also pretending to have a creativity problem, just look at the subject of all the books you recommended to read. One is literally called “steal like an artist” - seems like that title alone should solve your problems.

“Competition is fierce???” You are overestimating them, complacency is always ingrained in companies that have been around awhile. That is why the little guys keep coming out of nowhere and taking over whole industries - and not by lowering price, that’s a race to the bottom. Be more competent, move faster, and listen more closely to customers.

if you want to read more bullshit, read the negative reviews and remarks of your competitors’ customers. That should give you ideas on what can be improved upon.

But enough with the fucking reading, it’s time to pull the fucking trigger. If you are a lurker you’ve read the same message 1000 times. Anything in life that is worth having requires pulling the trigger.

Interesting idea now the portfolio could be made of websites that you intend to flip later on, or you could go to market places like fiverr and legiit and seoclerks, and other like that and simply staart by selling there to build a portfolio and some reputation, and you could list your design service here as well.

Love this idea. Can't believe I haven't thought of this one myself. Will definitely build my portfolio that way. Thanks man, much appreciated!

Maybe you should move to Denmark then? Or Sweden or Norway or Poland?

Appreciate your message - and it made me think for a while. I wanted to move to north germany some time in the future anyway, might as well work in Denmark then. Unfortunately I'm not the only one to be making this decision of moving to another country. Maybe living near the border would be a good compromise.

I'll definitely keep this one in my mind. I'm always up for new adventures.

If you want to build a portfolio for high end web design, building sites for fiverr clients is going to be extremely frustrating - it doesn't matter if you put in 10 times more work than you bill for, if they are buying on fiverr they will have cheaped out on everything else as well. Their shit logo, unreadable copy and badly lit photos will seriously reduce any portfolio value.
Secondly, cheap clients are the absolute worst to work with. They will second guess everything.

If you want to do portfolio work, I would recommend doing it for free. Yes really. By going free, you retain control, you explain up front that it's for your portfolio, and can simply say no to any bad suggestions.
This will also set you up for real work - having confidence in your work, and saying no, alot, is the key to success in this industry.
You can also cherry pick clients - go find a business in your chosen niche, with a crap website, and rebuild it, host it, then offer it for free on the proviso they recommend you to another business owner.

If you want to do portfolio work, I would recommend doing it for free. Yes really. By going free, you retain control, you explain up front that it's for your portfolio, and can simply say no to any bad suggestions.
This will also set you up for real work - having confidence in your work, and saying no, alot, is the key to success in this industry.
You can also cherry pick clients - go find a business in your chosen niche, with a crap website, and rebuild it, host it, then offer it for free on the proviso they recommend you to another business owner.
You could also potentially find people who need a website and offer to create it for free as long as they pay for hosting (using your affiliate link).

You should be able to find quality clients for your portfolio between BuSo and Reddit honestly.

And this might be annoying, but also Instagram. IG can be a great way to source out new clients in pocket niches that are explosive. How? I'd work backwards finding product that's hot-sellers on ebay. Then flip it around and find who's moving units on IG. There's a ton of hidden jewels in this method.

Appreciate the feedback a lot. Thanks a lot everyone.
I'm looking at building a portfolio for rich media. I guess I gave off the wrong idea here when I was talking about building websites (to host some of the media, depending on what I would create).
I still really like the idea of flipping websites which includes the stuff I created for my portfolio and will definitely pursue this one.

For clients: Would I also just look for clients the same way as for websites? It's easy to tell if a website is looking like trash, but I'm not sure how I would do that for rich media? How do I even find people that use rich media? IG might be an idea due to Instagram stories.

I guess I'll have to think about how to do outreach a bit. Also, I should probably try out if my skills aren't completly rusted before I reach out to someone. It's been a while since I worked on that stuff.

Back