Hello from Germany

Degree
Hey there,

I'm a 19-year-old University student from Germany, who's been interested in the field of SEO over the past 1.5 years or so.
I've also started my own project about 9 months ago, but there isn't anything to write home about, as I've just been kicking it along.

I will focus primarily on my degree, which takes up to 40h per week, and my job to pay the bills taking up to 20h per week.

For the last couple of weeks, I've finally gotten into a daily habit of writing again, and I'm pushing out posts pretty regularly.

Not at all at the rate that all of you are, but as of now, I don't have to rely on any SEO-income as of now, so I can focus on other parts of my professional life. It would be a long-term goal, though, so I want to put in way more effort and actually get some shit done.

This year, I will publish at least 100.000 additional words on the website to get the ball rolling and be able to test stuff out myself, instead of only relying on case studies of other people in order to learn.

Anyways, I love the topic and the journey and look forward to my time here :smile:

Cheers

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Welcome, @AmicableSkipper. Glad to have you around. Sounds like you have a sensible plan. Your education can be your main gig or a fall back if you don't make SEO work out. At 19 years old you have ample time to shuffle your priorities around as life and your interests and needs change.

How is your current 9 month old project doing? How much content do you have published? How much monthly traffic are you receiving? Is it earning any revenue?

Degree
Hey @Ryuzaki. Yeah, I kind of shuffled around priorities in the past, which is why not much has been happening with the site. I don't regret it though. I've learned tons of stuff in different areas, but I just haven't really gotten got at any of them. Over the past year or so, I dabbled in SEO, design, web development and design, creative writing, music all kinds of stuff.

Now, I always kind of came back to SEO and building my own website. Anyways, that's the backstory, now to your question:

At the beginning, before I even bought a domain etc., I wrote a batch of about 20k words. Once I figured out how to even set up a website I realized the content wasn't really at the quality I would want it to be anymore. The keyword research was bad, I was lacking structure a bit and added too much fluff.

I scraped all that and started writing new articles. Right now the website is at around 30-35 pieces of content, all targeting low competition keywords. Regarding structure, length, etc. I've got roughly the same process as @shaunm , but I like to break up my paragraphs more.

This is due to mobile readability, as large blocks of text are not really comfortably readable on a phone.

I always run every piece of content through Wordtune. I don't know, if you've heard of it, but it helps me create a more "native-speakerish" language. As english is not my main language (as you might have noticed) it enhances the reading experience, as it just sounds more natural. I mark a sentence, it gives me other variations of that sentence, 30% are trash, but the rest is pretty good most of the time.

Monthly traffic for the past 30 days has been 116 organic sessions, and I decided not to turn on ads yet. I had them on for a while with Ezoic, but didn't create good placeholders yet, so I turned them back off again to focus on content, before traffic is even nearly there.

Sorry for going off topic a bit.