Has Anyone Used AdWords With Their Affiliate Sites?

Degree
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone had run an adwords campaign to their affiliate sites? Mainly Amazon affiliates, is it a good way to test the waters in a niche?

Wondering what people's thoughts are surrounding it.

You have to be careful where you send the traffic as I'm sure it's against the Adwords tos to send traffic to a page containing affiliate links.

If I am sending them to a review page containing affiliate links is that again their tos?

The idea is to rank the site for the keywords organically, but I wanted to test the water and see what my sites conversions was like.

@berthier is right, if it's a typical Amazon affiliate page. This would violate the Adword's "Bridge Page" policy:

Destinations that are solely designed to send users elsewhere
Examples: Bridge page, doorway, gateway, other intermediate pages that are only used to link to other sites
Source: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6368661

That's not to say that there's not a ton of other types of networks where you can do things like this, but they may not necessarily give you the data you want like an ad right in the SERPs for your specific keywords would.

I wouldn't send them to a review page. Maybe instead getting a landing page or set of landing pages together for your offers, running QuestionSpy to get a massive list of buyer keywords based on questions instead of your regular phrases, and putting them through KeywordGrouper Pro (free) to segment them into ad groups automatically and then build specific landing pages for those phrases to segment the list.

The best part of QuestionSpy is that it will allow you to get stupid cheap clicks from AdWords, sometimes no more than 0.05/click. Def worth the $20 to have that data and run it as often as needed, come in way under the radar and get super cheap leads like CCarter mentioned in the guide, kinda like an AdFly type setup, but a little more on point with your target audience.

Actually, go look for that guide, as CCarter explains it WAY better there than I can recreate here by pulling bits out of my memory, it'll give you a solid foundation on segmentation and recycling those emails back to your website/affiliate page for offers. Hell, even throw in a weekly RSS roundup as part of a regular weekly newsletter (a lot of autoresponders make this super easy to do as a drag n drop campaign)

Also, put Google Tag Manager on your site combined with a Facebook Pixel and track for conversions, that'll give you a solid foundation of data to pull leads from both of those sources on the cheap, so you can switch from cost per click to cost per conversion and get super qualified people in your list and rack that shit.

This way, you're not tossing clicks away on affiliate link hops and getting your account banned, and can start a pool of people to sell to.

Good luck!

I wouldn't send them to a review page. Maybe instead getting a landing page or set of landing pages together for your offers, running QuestionSpy to get a massive list of buyer keywords based on questions instead of your regular phrases, and putting them through KeywordGrouper Pro (free) to segment them into ad groups automatically and then build specific landing pages for those phrases to segment the list.

The best part of QuestionSpy is that it will allow you to get stupid cheap clicks from AdWords, sometimes no more than 0.05/click. Def worth the $20 to have that data and run it as often as needed, come in way under the radar and get super cheap leads like CCarter mentioned in the guide, kinda like an AdFly type setup, but a little more on point with your target audience.

Actually, go look for that guide, as CCarter explains it WAY better there than I can recreate here by pulling bits out of my memory, it'll give you a solid foundation on segmentation and recycling those emails back to your website/affiliate page for offers. Hell, even throw in a weekly RSS roundup as part of a regular weekly newsletter (a lot of autoresponders make this super easy to do as a drag n drop campaign)

Also, put Google Tag Manager on your site combined with a Facebook Pixel and track for conversions, that'll give you a solid foundation of data to pull leads from both of those sources on the cheap, so you can switch from cost per click to cost per conversion and get super qualified people in your list and rack that shit.

This way, you're not tossing clicks away on affiliate link hops and getting your account banned, and can start a pool of people to sell to.

Good luck!

I can’t even comprehend the amount of useful stuff packed into this post. I read it 10 times already.

I see this a lot on BuSo and it’s awesome.

I can’t even comprehend the amount of useful stuff packed into this post. I read it 10 times already.

I see this a lot on BuSo and it’s awesome.

Thanks dude. I'm a big proponent of giving action items. I have this rolodex of Lego bricks on how to bootstrap businesses and make things happen.

I dunno if OP will take action on it, but at least it's out there and not clouding my headspace anymore.

I guess it depends on the site, but I have a client that spends around £20k a month on AdWords.

If you have ever bought car insurance from a comparison site, that's just one giant affiliate site.

Good luck!
That is awesome! I am definitely going to put this into action over the weekend. I'm currently building out the site content but I will add this as something to look into and implement for sure!

It's not against Adwords TOS to have affiliate links on the landing page but they are quite strict on the layout and content. It's all about the user experience so use common sense.

Bing ads is a good alternative as they are much less strict with their policies. Yes, Bing isn't going to have the same volume as Google but don't dismiss them. The competition and CPC is often less than Adwords. Bing still has huge audience reach (especially in the U.S.) that searches 5 billion times a month.

yPlm18E.jpg

Last edited:

Good luck!

Love this! Another example of how great this forum is. Been reading loads of tips like this. I'll make sure to do all this when I get my affiliate site up and running.

Back