Has anyone had any success with freelancer.com

Degree
I've been trying to use it, but keep getting beat out by all these people, and I feel I'm much more qualified then them? I heard of elance and some others. I'm kind of just looking for some feedback.Thanks.

What I personally have done is to hire a full office in a 3rd world country and get an army of workers to work there. I personally just deal with the 'CEO' of this office, who's effectively just the Top-VA above the VAs. He handles settlement, instructions, plans, basically everything for me. Makes it much easier to handle this kind of work in my opinion. Only downside: you need to have enough workload to keep the whole office busy, otherwise you're wasting money. And It's certainly not as cheap as a 1 guy VA show :smile:

Are you trying to find work on there seogeek, or trying to find someone to work for you?

in all fairness for example i posted an add on there for a logo and in the space of like 2mins I had like 50 people applying! And I was only needing a simple logo - I may of missed out on a lot of people who were more qualified but yano what I need it doing quick and didn't have the time to be question each and everyone etc.

Personally it is a numbers game, if it was a bigger project I was needing then I would of vetted them all so it does also depend on what you are providing, whether its programming, article writing etc?

Like everything else it's all about conversions. Figure out what you can do to make your job applications stand out better. Start by POSTING some jobs that are similar to the ones you're applying for. See what other people's applications look like and put yourself in the shoes of someone who's trying to hire on there. Next time you apply for a job you'll know how to stand out a lot better. (This works on dating sites too lol)

If you wanted to be brave and post some examples of what you're writing for your applications I'm sure some of us could definitely help you punch them up, maybe we'll notice things you can try doing differently to make sure that your qualifications are really getting across. This is a safe place! haha

What do you do? I tend to hire off of odesk, I like to go by peoples' fixed rates as opposed to having a flock of applicants descend on my advert. I also prefer to hire a good person as opposed to the cheapest, so in that respect I don't like the freelancer model as it does essentially force people to compete on price and I think you lose some quality that way.

I tried it once and it felt a lot like what happens IRL if you try and hire some guys outside of home depot for the day.....they might be good, they might be crap, they likely don't speak much English.

@RiverStyx I do SEO, Facebook ads and I recently got into PPC. I will check out odesk. Thanks!
If I were you I'd focus on the PPC management or things that are more tangible. We all do SEO here but I for one would never offer my services via odesk. It just seems more the place where people like us go to hire our: developers/writers/translators etc.

But, hey what do I know. Good luck!

I stopped using them after they bought WaFo because I don't want anything to do with that scene.

I hire from odesk and elance. And for some reason I tend to get my developers from oDesk and content guys from elance. I've never hired SEO from either for a number of reasons. To narrow it down, its simply because of communication barriers and lack of knowledge.
I thought about trying to get work on there before. Its just super competitive. If I were to do it again, I'd get a VA to go through and apply for all jobs fitting what I do with a budget of at least $xxxx (set whatever you feel is worth your time.) Then I'd have a premade application that showcases some of your work and communicates well in English. Have them fill in a few lines to customize it to the project and try to get a convo going.
Its going to be a numbers game on there. You have to apply to so many to get any work, at least until you start getting your rep up and repeat customers.

I can't imagine SEO is something that people seek out on sites like odesk, freelancer, and elance anyways. I mean, I'm sure it happens but don't most buyers know that that's a more specialized skill? Or maybe more sensitive skill. It's a little risky.

Back