Google: Writing Content From Keyword Search Volume Lists Will Result In Mediocre Content

tyealia

BuSo Pro
Degree
First links now keyword research, its google hot takes week
https://www.seroundtable.com/google-content-keyword-search-volume-lists-34352.html

Then glen gabe chimes in with this
"Use keyword research to understand what people are searching for around a given topic, but don't go overboard. Worth noting that I've seen some sites hit by the Oct spam update that went overboard here... i.e. Pages covering every possible question on a topic. Beware. :smile:"
"Let those questions help you understand what people are searching for. Totally fine to incorporate them naturally into your content to help people. But don't create 529 pages covering every single question and answer. Create thorough pieces of content that can help users."

Scary he says oct update he says hit people he saw that went overboard on keyword research. Could a spam filter search how many pages a site has exact matching a subjects keywords through google keyword tool. No I don't think so sounds insane.

Sounds to me like it's more in reference to sites doing stuff like spamming out thousands of pages answering People Also Ask queries. Of course, he's being vague to make it sound more encompassing that it actually is. Nothing to be alarmed about.

If you ask me, he's clearly referring to the return of the types of sites they crashed during the old "Farmer Update" where companies were publishing on every variation of every keyword, which were basically doorway pages. This has come back now that it's dead simple to post AI content that targets a zillion keyword variations and PAA questions. It's spam, and he's referring to spam.

Same with the mention that links will become less important. They've continued to become less important as the years have passed, yet they're still massively important and nearly half the battle. A decrease in 1% of importance still qualifies as "less important".

A lot of this is just PR stuff to drum up talk by Google, and a lot of it is just bloggers amplifying these stories to try to siphon traffic and attention while the discussion is happening.

Back