Google doesn't want to rank "Best Widget" for "Widget"

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
I guess this falls under that "Keyword Cannibalization" stuff. I rank top 3 for "Cheap Widgets" (different page) and "Best Widgets", but I seem stuck at page 2-3 for "Widget".

Why is this?

What happens is that Google doesn't seem to really like my "Best Widget" posts for "Widget" broad searches, regardless, or maybe precisely because, they are similar in content to my competitors on Page 1. I would say they are better, but that's subjective.

Instead Google frequently gets my "Cheap Widget" page, which is more of a feed/filter page and ranks it higher than the "Best Widget" page usually ranks. Then after some days, Google goes back to ranking "Best Widget", but with a lower ranking. This dance continues and I never make it to page 1. See below, the spikes represent Google ranking "Cheap Widget", then drops back to ranking "Best Widget" lower.

1.png

2.png

It's more apparent with the first image, but the spikes are mostly the "Cheap Widget" or other subpage about "Best Red Widgets" and the lower rankings are usually "Best Widgets".

What is going on?

My conclusion so far has been that Google doesn't want more "Best Widget" type articles on the front page, which is a mix of ecommerce and "best widget info" content. Then Google swaps in my "Cheap Widget" page, but those pages are not as strong for various reasons: less backlinks, less content, so Google drops the page again. I was then thinking, ok, I need to outcompete my competitors to rank on page 1, since Google seems to limit the number of "Best Widget" pages for "Widget".

I would write one long post (longer than competition) titled "widget" with some h2: best widget, cheap widget and other ones (like widget characteristics, widget uses, etc.). This would be the best post ever with photos and video.

I would redirect (301) the other posts (best widget and cheap widget) to the new one.

Social media promotion and traffic leaks.

And see what happens then with best widget and cheap widget and widget searches.

Instead Google frequently gets my "Cheap Widget" page, which is more of a feed/filter page and ranks it higher than the "Best Widget" page usually ranks.

I have my common assumption that your quote above seems to say is correct, which is that "widget" is an e-commerce shopping intent SERP while "best widget" is an informational SERP.

The "widget" version may not be that competitive, which is why people's "best widgets" posts can get up in there, based on link value, interlinking, etc.

But the reason I'd say you see your "cheap widgets" trying to do a takeover is because the filters/feed style page has Google classifying it as an e-commerce style page. While your "best" variation is probably a typical review style post.

That's my guess and I'm sticking by it!

I have my common assumption that your quote above seems to say is correct, which is that "widget" is an e-commerce shopping intent SERP while "best widget" is an informational SERP.

The "widget" version may not be that competitive, which is why people's "best widgets" posts can get up in there, based on link value, interlinking, etc.

But the reason I'd say you see your "cheap widgets" trying to do a takeover is because the filters/feed style page has Google classifying it as an e-commerce style page. While your "best" variation is probably a typical review style post.

That's my guess and I'm sticking by it!

I think this is a solid working hypothesis.

The question then is, how do I improve on my cheap widget page?

If I add classic content, don't I dilute the e-commerce intent?

I already link it in the main menu. I also link them from my "best widget" pages.

I could begin linkbuilding to those pages. I do rank top 3 for 5 or so "cheap widget" keywords, number 1 for a couple, with zero external links.

Back