Google Algorithm Updates - 2024 Ongoing Discussion

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/23/goo...warns-employees-of-new-operating-reality.html

A lot of words from Google second in line.

I must say Google under Pichai and this guy Raghavan, who I hadn't heard about, do seem to have taken the company in an entirely different direction. I don't think Page and Brin can be involved at all.

The overall feel I get is Google just turning into any other bottomline company, caring more about quarterly nets than growing through innovation. The question is if they're looking to become Microsoft or Yahoo. I feel as if they hugely overestimate the quality of their search engine now. Even Elon Musk complained publicly now. People are saying Bing is better and for many searches, I honestly agree.

I don't think it's inconceivable that Google could lose maybe 10-20% within the next 5 years to other search engines.
I agree with you.

Last week it happened twice that I got frustrated with Google (as a user) because the SERP was crap/unreliable. I can't even remember the last time that happened. When I searched, all I got was Forbes and the like, plus some Reddit posts.

I went to Bing for the first time in like 10 years (as a user) and was presented with a website that answered my question instantly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/23/goo...warns-employees-of-new-operating-reality.html

A lot of words from Google second in line.

I must say Google under Pichai and this guy Raghavan, who I hadn't heard about, do seem to have taken the company in an entirely different direction. I don't think Page and Brin can be involved at all.

The overall feel I get is Google just turning into any other bottomline company, caring more about quarterly nets than growing through innovation. The question is if they're looking to become Microsoft or Yahoo. I feel as if they hugely overestimate the quality of their search engine now. Even Elon Musk complained publicly now. People are saying Bing is better and for many searches, I honestly agree.

I don't think it's inconceivable that Google could lose maybe 10-20% within the next 5 years to other search engines.
I switched to Bing a while ago. The resutls are better / more complete in my opinion. At this point the only thing what stops most people from swtiching is that they have to get used to the different interface. I will take time as you are saying, but I believe eventually they will lose a fair share if they continue like the last 2 years or so.

Also on Bing. I do find it a bit more cluttered than Google (site links and features everywhere), but otherwise it's great. Oh, it sucks for shopping, prices, where to buy stuff though.

Even Elon Musk complained publicly now. People are saying Bing is better and for many searches, I honestly agree.

When you Google you should use 'before:2023' and you'll see the difference in results.

Example: Who is Elon Musk?
versus
Who is Elon Musk? before:2023

You guys will thank me later. There are a lot of tricks I picked up and forgot about cause of SW.

Google with before:2023 and you'll be fine. :wink:

Wow, like 8 sites of mine just crashed today. Even the ones that have been quite ok during this update. I just checked my charts and it's like a downfacing hockeystick on all of them.

All of them in completely different niches and built in different ways. Some have been untouched for years, others are newer. Some got updated during HCU, others didn't.

But today they all just fell off a cliff haha!

One received an upward hockeystick. It's one of my most spammy looking websites with a horrible UX and no specific niche. Crazy lol

The March 2024 Core Update has finished rolling out.

It started on March 5th, 2024 and took 45 days to complete, supposedly ending on April 19th, 2024. Why we're only hearing about it now is interesting. I'm guessing it didn't quite go the way they wanted, but had to call it at some point and start tweaking again, which would line up with what @Trump is seeing today.

It ran along side the March 2024 Spam Update that started on March 5th and finished on March 20th.

I have a theory... something I've been thinking about for a few weeks now... I've hesitated to share it because I haven't had time to flush it out... but it's Friday and I'm tired so fuck it.

Here it is...

What if Google doesn't even know what's going on?

Not in the "No one at Google understands the algo" way.

But in the "We don't understand why the results are so bad after the update" way.

What if, the algo is operating exactly as it should...

But, instead of delivering "good results" we're getting the current shitshow because the results are being unnaturally skewed due to a massive exploit... an unsophisticated spam attack being carried out by a nation-state targeting domains with US/Western IPs.

Maybe... MAYBE... we really are on the battlefield here boys.

5RxJSY.jpg

... or maybe we're just a bunch of fucking idiots who didn't keep their backlink profiles clean for the last few years.

In any case, Google sucks. Enjoy your weekend.

In the spirit of creating better content, content that can compete with AI... I believe the format that AXIOS is using is pretty sweet/solid.

Concise and easy to skim. All the while, the NYT is still using walls of text.

Anyway, that's how I've been structuring each of my H2 sections.

---

Here is a business idea for all of you that are still wanting to stay in the info game.

Find a local business in your niche and offer FREE LOCAL SEO services to them in exchange for you to have free reign over their "BLOG" section.

28% of small businesses don't even have a website. Then a good chunk of the ones that do have a single page that is still stuck in the 1990s.

Last edited:
Back