Goo.gl link shortner silently deletes User's Links Over Night

Tay

Degree
Well here is another warning as to why you never should rely on Google products. A while back blackhatters started using Goo.gl links left and right for spamming 301 redirects. This didn't sit right with me one bit. MFW I heard the strategy:

yorNvU6.gif

Looks like the chickens' come home to roost:

The popular link shortner goo.gl received a UI change last night. During this change they limited the amount of links a user can have to 35. Anybody who had more than 35 links lost all of their data.

Personally this is absurd, because i user Goo.gl to track clicks for app downloads. I then use this information for billing purposes. So this extremely hurts my business.

Not sure how they can justify doing this without any prior warning.

Source: https://m.reddit.com/r/google/comments/4z7k2i/googl_silently_deletes_users_links_overnight/

@Tay

lol it was only a matter of time before this happened with all the 301 spam that was flying around:D

Reactions: Tay
This one is a lulz:

A while back Google changed all Feedburner urls to goo.gl. Then apparently Feedburner got caught violating Google's TOS because they were being used as redirects through goo.gl (mind you, Google made the change). So Google cut off ALL Feedburner RSS feed URLs. LOL

Google accused Google of violating Google's TOS.

The leading theory that I've seen going around is that Google is actually blocking all links in any FeedBurner feed, because it's a violation of its own terms of service. Seriously.

[..]

That's because Google's URL shortener's terms of service bans "URL re-directors" and it appears that the genius engineers at Google have decided that Google-run FeedBurner is nothing more than a URL re-director and killed off everyone's links without notice or explanation. This despite the fact that they're the same damn company and that FeedBurner unilaterally moved everyone's RSS feed to use Goo.gl links in the first place.

Bravo, guys.

Sauce: Thanks, Google, For Fucking Over A Bunch Of Media Websites

^^ Read the whole story and think about it before you guys run to add your site to AMP.

Reminds me of TPB:

Xv3nqmT.jpg

Back