Giveaway Promo Advice Needed.

drsmiley

Boot Camp
Degree
Hello BuSo,
I am looking for some advice on running a giveaway promotion through social media.

Recently I took the leap from affiliate marketer to marketing my own product which should be released in the next couple of weeks. I have a certain amount of distribution lined up through my information sites, but really wanna hit the ground running. So I want to run a free giveaway for the first month or so after launch to help promote my brand and get in front of people's faces.

Initially I am thinking of reaching out to social influences in and around my niche to pay them for posts with the promo details in it and a picture with the product if possible. This coupled with some paid ads will hopefully generate some interest.

I want to run the promotion on numerous social platforms, however the audience is required to like / share my facebook page in order to qualify. Winners are going to be chosen each week, and I will be asking them to take a picture of the product once they receive it, preferably with them in it. This will give the promo a bit more "ammo" going forward, allowing me to post these pictures of past winners.

As you can probably guess from my initial plans, I do have a budget for this project, however it is limited until sales start rolling in.

So if anyone has done something similar in the past or has a greater understanding of how to help a promotion like this succeed, I am all ears! I will update the thread throughout the process, hopefully it can help others who are in the same boat as me.

Thanks in advance :smile:

I've never done this but I do remember there being something about many social networks not allowing contests any more. I'd just make sure to investigate that before getting started. Good luck!

I was just looking at facebooks rules for running giveaways. Sharing the post seems to be against their regulations, however I read elsewhere that this rule has been amended, so not exactly sure what to think.
After reading through it though, I started to wonder if running the contest directly through the website would work best. Make it a contact form, and just heavily influence readers to like the post even though it doesn't constitute an entry.
Anyone have any insight as to what exactly is allowed and what is not for running a giveaway through facebook? As I said, I have been reading conflicting articles and the official facebook page on it hasn't been updated in years and it is a bit confusing.

You COULD put a content locker on your specific page only that forces them to share the page on at least one of the social networks before they can enter the contest. Wordpress or any other set-up will already have plugins or code out there to pull this off.

Make forum promotion is the first step that makes people share also use reddit for your niche sub-directory.

Use half promotion ads, or question and answer ads: it works like this, you put a small video about something abstract like for example a man watch TV and he's so happy, then a quote appears and ask you to know what's all about by visiting a website or going to a social page.

P.S: You can use this also in a giveaway promotion

Individual giveaways and Groups giveaways: this method is known when you address a public or a traffic source by giving away something for just teen, twenty people... which is based on making the public compete to get that giveaway offer, or you can use groups giveaways by giving away something for all that traffic or prospects for a limited time.

Restricted giveaways: You use your giveaway as a bonus for a subscription or a promotion made by your consumers or followers, by restricting access only to who did something for your Marketing effort or sell something from you.

Last edited:
Check out gleam.io , I've heard good things about it, but have not personally used it... There's a free option as well as paid options... as always, with any online tool, do your due diligence before investing.

Just took a brief look at gleam.io and it looks like a great option. I could probably get away with the free version, but I would like the user data of the paid version. I'll keep everyone updated as to what program I use.
Thanks for the suggestion lyannastark!

I recognize that what I'm about to say may not apply to your industry, but for the sake of continuing the conversation...

Instagram is a real gold mine when it comes to product giveaways. There are a crazy amount of profiles that is either a personality from a certain niche or a page dedicated to it almost exclusively. These guys are always personally selling ad space. Here's what you do:

PM them via their profile and ask if they do promotions. 8 times out of 10 I get a yes. They usually send a price list over (something like $100 for 3 posts over 3 days get taken down after 24 hours, $250 for the same but one stays up perminantly, ect.). Pick which one you want and let them know. They'll ask you what picture you want used and what text you want placed.

Create a really good looking image of what you're trying to give away. Make them want it. Then think of a unique hashtag that can go with it. Something like #GiveMeBrandProduct. Seriously easy hashtags that aren't used for anything else.

Create the text for the ad. Make sure that you let people know: to be considered for the random raffle, you must follow @yourbrand, repost the picture, and hashtag #GiveMeBrandProduct. Sometimes I even make them tag me in that picture, or 3 friends. I just get creative. It's amazing what these guys will do for free stuff.

Set a deadline and wait. After 48 hours randomly pick someone. I usually put all usernames in a spreadsheet, film myself using a random number generator and going to that cell in a spreadsheet and saying you won. Have them pm you their email and get the convo going.

At that point you'll have a bit of a fan base that you can start pushing products to. IG is all about being purely visually stimulating, interesting, or funny. If you can do that, you'll retain the audience.

I hope something like that will be useful to you. Instagram has gotten me a weird amount of business. It was unexpected when I stumbled on it.

I've never used instagram, sounds interesting, i wonder if my target market uses it. Hell, mabye I'll find a new segment of people to sell to :smile:

I've never used instagram, sounds interesting, i wonder if my target market uses it. Hell, mabye I'll find a new segment of people to sell to :smile:
I hope you do. I've found that even a page with a few thousand will still send a good amount of traffic!

Sorry I haven't updated you all in a while. I put this project on the back burner over the past little while. Dealing with all the super fun things one has to deal with when starting a business...
Slowly trying to build up my profiles by liking and following others. I have also reached out to a handful of people with large audiences to see if there is any possibility of purchasing a shout-out / product feature. Sadly I have yet to get a response from any. (When I say a handful, I mean about a half dozen.) So no real surprise here. When I turn it on I will be reaching out to many, many more people, so hopefully a few respond.
Will keep you all updated! Thanks again for the helpful posts too, every bit of info helps.

Back