Getting Shafted by the Jan Update

Degree
Quick overview of 3 content sites, all 2+ years old 300+ posts each. Since Sept update -25% to -50%, now Yesterday got wrecked even more by this new update: -21%/-36%/-47%. Things are not looking good.

The only thing they have in common is they have 301's from niche relevant auction domains, or were build on niche relevant auction domains, but I doubt that's the reason.

How are your sites holding up?

Down about 20% since the first round of slashes in the summer, but that's taking into account that I had posted a shitload before and after that, and in my bias opinion I should have gained more traffic from those posts, so it's a dampening effect in addition to the initial cuts in my case.

This sounds brutal on your end, especially since it's across multiple sites. I reckon your best bet is to run through the Kitchen Sink method as soon as you can, at least on one of the sites (but you might as well do multiples at once, if you can stomach it, since these are best-practice type things that we ought to be doing regardless).

Then, ideally, you'll pop back once things are re-calculated. For anyone with giant dangling nuts, this feels like a pretty good opportunity to pick up some tanked sites on the cheap tbh. My balls, however, are firmly inside of my body waiting to see how things shake out in the next few months. I'm still posting, fwiw.

@ClickityClick, It seems to me the two main points in time, if I'm remembering clearly, where people took these massive beatings was in May/June of 2022 and the end of September 2022, both aligning with core updates. I got hit in September 2022 and I agree, things aren't looking good for a LOT of people.

These conversations are getting scattered all over the forum at this point. Take a look at these for more information and graphs:
Here's some images I shared recently that I'll post here, if only for solace in knowing that you're not alone:

Sm7trh7.jpg

D3q8GG9.png

I also see a big dip. Went from around 20.000 daily visitors to 10.000 daily visitors…. It happened here in January.

I’m still publishing a lot of content - I just hope to Come back stronger…

Back