Get funded, make money, get sued... (patent scam suits)

Steve Brownlie

Building Links
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I watched the initial short version of this on YouTube. The guy was pretty determined/interesting so I'm probably going to grab the full version when I have an hour to watch etc.

https://www.thepatentscam.com/victims

Will report back if I watch it but the real shock to me from the original preview version was the ridiculous things the patent office seems ok with. And how other people's infringements (eg Google is accused of infringing so anyone using their app marketplace who appears to have money but not enough to defend themselves was open to a suit...). Google doesn't even need to actually be in violation or defend themselves... as long as you can't that's all that seems to matter.

I watched the first 4 seasons of Silicon Valley recently. In season 1, just after getting funded, the lead guy immediately has to defend a lawsuit claiming patent infringement. This goes on for 2 more seasons until they pivot entirely to a different platform using their same core product. In season 4 they run into an actual patent troll.

It's absurd that this is simply a part of the game and an expense you will have to deal with. The only ones getting anywhere is the lawyers.

Did you end up watching the full documentary?

Seems like a real problem, but I am not a fan of the over dramatized videos they have on the site.

Did you end up watching the full documentary?

Yeah it's really quite good. It starts off as @kingofthewiki says a little bit over dramatic but that's all part of I guess the mission of this - making people understand the basics who are totally unfamiliar with the topic.

If you persevere after the half hour mark it gets really interesting as he digs deeper into who is involved etc.

Worth grabbing a copy imo just to support the creators. Buy one for your Senator if you already know the space well...

Its on Netflix now, just watched it last night. Fascinating and scary at the same time. Hopefully it being on Netflix now will shed some light on the issue and change how things are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back